LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy wind noise?

bilzebub

Hi there - first issue with my 2008 3.0 R - had the dealer replace the driver's side door sear/ weatherstripping due to wind noise above 50mph. This started happening at about 500 miles on the odometer (I'm now at 1500): first just a general sound of wind, then at 1000 miles a whistling sound. The new weatherstripping is a bit better - the whistle is gone, but the general noise remains. Anyone else have this problem?

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

OK I drove down to the dealer in Rochester on the weekend. They tried replacing the gusset where the driver's side mirror is, and that helped about 20% of the problem, so those of you who experience it there should go in if under warranty, as the service manager told me that it is quite common. But the main noise comes from right at the top of the window -- the glass is evidently not sitting flush against the weatherstripping. You can actually push it in when standing outside the door on the driver's side - it's already flush on the passenger side. They tried adjusting how the window itself was angled, but to no avail. The manager told me that this was the 5th 2008 that she'd seen this on, but that mine was by far the noisiest at 60mph. They had contacted subaru engineering, but there is no answer as of now - she hinted that unless they come out with a redesigned, wider weatherstrip retrofit, I might be SOL.

That noise really bugs me -it's not minor. This 6 month old 2008 is almost as noisy as my 2000 Outback, whose weasther stripping is 7+ years old... Do I have any rights in this? Ought I to "push" the service manager more (a new window...door??!!). She was very nice and straightforward, and I do want her on my side if there really is nothing that she can do. Perhaps I'll give SOA customer service a call, or is that worthwhile?

• 5 months later...

My 07 is brand new, just got it yesterday and I get a some whistling noise at highway speeds in the same area, somewhere around the driver's side window.

I can't precisely localize it- seems it's coming from the mirror?

Your Rochester! To Van Bortel -- actually, time has passed and the problem remains. Van Bortel have been upfront about their bafflement, and have upped the case to the factory rep, who I should see some time this July. The noise around the mirror was solved with a new mirror gasket, but the other noise at the very top of the drivers window remains (over 50mph only), even after completely new weatherstripping. You can actually push on the glass from the outside and cause it to seal for a few seconds -- on the drivers side onl --on the passenger side the glass is sealed and won't budge. A lot of time has passed since I reported this. I wonder to what length the Rep will go to solve it?

So here's the deal. Don't lean on the mirrors or tie your dog leash to it. To much force on the framless door mirrors will cause it to get out of factory adjustment. (the way it is built) This will cause it to make a whistling noise at over 35mph and up. Subaru warranted mine on a used Outback I bought from a animal lover. (still under factory warranty) They replaced the weather stripping and played with the adjustment of the metal (not the mirror itself) that holds the mirror to the door. (small triangular piece)

It worked and I am very lucky. I hated that noise on my 35 mile commute it drove me crazy.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

No, the noise does not come from there (they tried replacing that part too). It comes from the very top of the window, about 8 inches in from the end. The entire window glass can be pushed in, to seal with the weatherstrip like Isaid, but bounces back again upon driving away. And like I said, they said they tried to adjust the angle of the glass

Hi there - first issue with my 2008 3.0 R - had the dealer replace the driver's side door sear/ weatherstripping due to wind noise above 50mph. This started happening at about 500 miles on the odometer (I'm now at 1500): first just a general sound of wind, then at 1000 miles a whistling sound. The new weatherstripping is a bit better - the whistle is gone, but the general noise remains. Anyone else have this problem?

Bill

I have this problem. It started this past winter, after I last rotated tires. I put it down to tires but it is weather stripping/left side mirror. For the longest of times I thought it is some ball bearing going bad or exhaust leak - it is just whistling. Finally I decided to drive with the mirror folded and it was better. I have a 2005, but the issue is just half a year old.

have an '06 and had the same annoyance.

under warranty the dealer replaced all the weather stripping around the door and more importantly the side mirror gusset.

it's not completely gone but I'd estimate it's only about 10% of the noise I was getting before

• 5 months later...
You can try and crimp the rubber part that goes around the leading edge of the window glass with your hand and try and create a better seal.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I have the same issue with my 04 Legacy. it is a pain because nobody wants to fix something they consider minor. when i push on the rubber from the inside, the noise stops. is this something I can repair myself?

same here

My 05 does it. Weather stripping is crimped on driver's side. My wife's former 04 L did it as well. I have no answers and no one I have asked has any either - or they don't care to bother with it. I live with it and have for 75K miles and 5 years...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Archived