LegacyGT.com

Engine block heater needed?

I haven't experienced the need for a block heater in Cody, Wyoming. Chances are you won't need one in Orange County, California.

During the past two winters, my car has sat outside cold-soaking in -10 to 0 F weather for over eight hours on numerous occasions. Starting has never been a problem.

I've always used Mobil1 5w-30 in my Subaru except for one fill of Valvoline 5w-30 synthetic and one fill of Q Horsepower 5W-30 synthetic with I picked up at O'Reilly's when they had a 100% rebate special.

As long as you're running a 5w-XX oil, you'll be fine. Mobil 1 0W-40 is supposed to be very good.

When it gets cold, I let my car idle for a couple of minutes and then drive off keeping the rpm and speed low until everything warms up. I do not let the car idle for 10 or fifteen minutes and then take of because the transmission, diffs and other bits will be stone-cold.

I've never even used the block heater on my Powerstroke Diesel in similar conditions. I use Delvac 1 5w-40 Synthetic (Mobil1 for Turbo Diesel Trucks) in my F250. The difference a synthetic oil makes during freezing starts is most apparent in diesel engines with 15qt. sumps.

Several times, I was parked next to another F250 Powerstroke and both trucks were started at the same. Mine always started quicker and runs smoother while the truck with dino 10w-30 or God forbid 15W-40 cranks and cranks, followed by bucking, romping and smoke.

With my carb'd vehicles I used to plug in at work and at home I set a timer for an hour warm up in the mornings. You don't really need engine heaters with electronic ignition and fuel injection engines. Last winter we hit -24F and the Subies started just fine. But the drivetrain takes the strain if you don't warm things up a bit, and try not to kick in the turbo hard for the first few miles.

Archived