LegacyGT.com

Does Anyone Have A 5 Speed Without A Stinky Clutch?

Guest turboman

Yes I know about the stinky clutch, but how many people have really gotten SOA to do something about it? I mean I have it, and just yesterday I had to go up a steep hill in traffic and lo and behold, stinky clutch.

Now what I'm saying is that at first I used to get it more because of the way I drove it, and now I can predict if I will get it or not. Like on the same stretch of road that I take to work I got it the first two times I drove on it with bumper to bumper traffic, but then I adjusted my style to use less RPM's on first gear, and I have not gotten it anymore. My gripe with the whole situation I guess is that even though it exists can you really resolve it through SOA? Or just deal with it and adjust your style of driving, which has nothing to do with how much experience you have with driving stick, and wait until it is time to replace your clutch? I know that for many this is not acceptable, but honestly it is not like it stinks every single time you drive it, because if it does, then you are not driving the car correctly.

I apologize if I meant it like a blanket statement that you all can't drive stick and I can, because that is not what I meant. I just meant that you need to be more aware of when and how you slip your clutch, because like it or not it will stink, it is just too bad that the clutch does stink like a skunk.

Now I know that some people have never gotten it, and it may have to do with built date, and maybe the clutch manufacturer changing materials, or simply where you drive there is no need to slip the clutch as much. With me time will tell if I will persue this with SOA or not, but for the moment I just try to enjoy the car as much, stink or no stink.

X

---

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had another long talk with my local SOA tech rep Tuesday and we discussed the stink. He said he would be willing to try anything in order to resolve my issue. The stink went away as of last spring, but I recently got it again a few weeks ago. This got us to talking....maybe it's temperature related? My circumstances might be unique, but it only happens to me when the weather is cold and the car is good and warmed up. Thus, leaving it at the dealer for them to check is useless....they will be driving a cold transmission.

Next time it happens, we agreed that I will call the guy and set up a time to meet so he can check it out as well.

The best advice he could give is for every owner with the issue to log the complaint with their dealer, regardless of the dealer's findings after checking it out. Problem with that concept is that I can't trust my dealer to do what I ask...they say they log it, but the SOA guy says he got nothing about it from them previously. So, the dealers might be the issue here....go there first, then request a meeting with the SOA tech rep. If that doesn't work, call 800-SUBARU-3 and open a case to do an 'end-around' the dealer.

Every single person with the issue needs to log it, otherwise SOA won't know there is an issue. We said this last spring. Who has made the effort to support their complaints here?

• 2 weeks later...

i have a clutch related question. I like many others have the clutch stink issue and have learned to deal with it but now a new issue has been discovered. Im at 14k on the odometer and yesterday in 3rd gear i put it down and the rpms shoot up from 3k to 4k without much in the way of spedometer movement. i got the car to do this 3-4 times in tha last 2 days but it will not do it every time.... so is the clutch slipping or is that cdv doing something no good?

1. pressure plate is not using enough force on the clutch disc

2. CDV is engauging on its own

3. our clutch disc is made of recycled pencil erasers??

wrx034me: Sounds like the clutch has worn out. The good news is that it should be easy to get it replaced under warrantee; assuming they don't think you abused it. If you are lucky the new clutch won't stink.

+++1

just had mine replaced after similar problems. New clutch is much lighter at first but doesnt slip like my last one did.

I have noticed clutch stink again, I never thought Id smell that again but only minor during a stint in stop and go traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read this thread with interest and am posting here to add my experience to the rest of those who are having problems with the manual clutch on 2005 Legacy GTs or Outback XTs. I happen to have an Outback XT.

Within a few weeks of buying my car I experienced that weird, toxic smell. It kept getting worse, i.e. occuring more frequently, and this culminated in my burning out the clutch while trying to start up on a steep hill.

Subaru replaced my clutch for free at around 3,200 miles and said that the plate was blue, which indicated over heating, but didn't show me the part. They replaced the 'clutch pack'. They also said they'd had no problems reported from other owners. (This is in Medford, Oregon.)

I got my first car when I was 13 and have driven shift cars all my life untill the last few years, when the cars I wanted didn't come with manual transmissions. I know how to drive a manual transmission car and I'm careful with the clutch. To me this is clearly a problem with the clutch design.

Within a month of the clutch replacement it started giving off the bad smell. I now have about 7,500 miles on the car, about half of it on the new clutch.

I've talked to my service manager since then and driven with him. He agrees I don't abuse my clutch. However the dealer is in a flat city and I live 12 miles away in a hilly city and that's where I experience the clutch smell, especially when backing up on a slope - so I haven't been able to demonstrate the problem to him yet.

I'm contemplating doing a lemon law process, which will be a pain in the butt, and am wondering if anyone on this forum can suggest a simpler procedure. I want to give my car back to Subaru and get an automatic transmission version of the same car. I'm willing to pay prorated miles but don't want to get stuck with depreciation. I also want a new car, not a used one.

Any advice is appreciated - except please don't lecture me on not knowing how to drive a stick :-)

Thanks.

I think that the law on a Lemon car varies from state to state, but doesn't the car need to be inoperable for a month, and/or in the dealership for more than four times without resolution of a problem to be considered a lemon?

If you want to trade it in, you will probably loose out on the deal being that the car is still so new, unless your dealership is feeling generous.

How about just taking the plunge and investing in an aftermarket clutch? Not sure if it may help. Mine happens in hills as well.

GL

X

---

i didn't know about the inoperable for a month clause (maybe it doesn't apply in oregon) and i was prepared to do the four visits to the dealer since i doubt he can fix the clutch but i'd like to learn more about the aftermarket clutch;

where do i get one?

what's it like?

how much?

and do i blow the warranty on the entire care or just the clutch?

thanks for your reply

My circumstances might be unique, but it only happens to me when the weather is cold and the car is good and warmed up.

Funny, I have 6k on my car, bought it in September. No stink until early last week when it was extremely cold around here. I'll see what this week brings in the stink department, but your temp theory might have some validity to it.

jhostro, lemon law varies from state to state.

Ok, here is my strange story:

I've had the stink problem since day one. I've had the dealer tell me they have never heard of such a thing. I've had the Subaru rep tell me that she's never heard of it either.

Now here's the strange part. I let my brother in law drive the car and he (without warning or permission) decided to reproduce the smell for himself. Suffice it to say that he slipped the clutch in an extreme way. And the clutch let out an awful stink. BUT, it was not the ‘rotting asparagus’ smell I had been experiencing. Instead it smelled like regular burnt clutch pad. No trace of the other smell. Anyone have any idea what's going on? At least I think it suggests that the clutch material itself may not be the cause. Is something dripping onto the clutch? Is there an adhesive someplace that warms up due to clutch friction so that slipping causes the smell?

Let me also say that, until we figure out what exactly is vaporizing into the passenger compartment, we should treat this as a potential safety issues. In my case, I have a toddler and a pregnant wife. What is it that they are breathing? And why is Subaru pretending to be totally unaware of any issue at all? Do they know something relevant to our health? Are they avoiding an expensive recall by feigning ignorance?

My dealer claims they never heard of it either - They did reproduce, but feel it is the converter smell not the clutch...

"That is not what a clutch smells like - I have driven standards all my life"

I think it may be best if we all wrote a very simple letter to SOA and FAXed it on the same day?(TO SOA) This may get some attention??

Dear SOA,

I am very concerned about the clutch type smell during normal use. Naturally, the smell is annoying, but I am more concerned about the long term effects.

A clutch that is burning and slipping will reflect premature wear, replacement, and may fail in a dangerous situation such as pulling into traffic.

In addition, the odor that enters the cabin concerns me in regards to my families general health.

I know that SOA's goal is to deliver a safe and effective product, but this is a serious concern that requires attention.

Please let me know the best solution.

Thank You,

VIN # xyz123

Or something like that?? We could all print it out sign it and FAx with our VIN# to a common FAX number on a common date.

Lets do something besides complain on this site. Share your thoughts!!

I made mine stink like hell yesterday, but that is because I slipped it a lot on a hill. It almost seemed like the clutch did not want to grab, and the RPM's when high, and of course got the burnt smell/stink. It did not stink afterwards though. It would be interesting tosee how many people would actually write a letter like that, my guess is not many.

GL

X

---

If it was a simple case of sign it and FAX - why wouldn't you?

Because I only smell it when I slip it bad, and I have done that a few times

:icon_neut including last night. Plus I am not sure that SOA will do anything about it.

I guess what I am saying is that it would be nice to get a broader picture of who has this problem, and really bothers them to the point of writing a letter. If I let the clutch slip, and it smells bad it is my fault. And from what I have read here from other members if you get your clutch replaced, it will be with one exactly the same, and sooner or later it will stink again. Plus the idea of having techs that can't even fill up my oil correctly opening up my transmission just makes me very nervous.

So I wish you good luck again,

X

---

I agree about the tech portion(no clue), BUT we have 25 pages of complaints. I have always owned standards and slip of a clutch on a hill has NEVER resulted in this skunk.

IMO - If you have come to this topic and posted a complaint you should step up or hush up.

I think it may be best if we all wrote a very simple letter to SOA and FAXed it on the same day?(TO SOA) This may get some attention??

Been down that road. After a few months of back and forth I got a new clutch and it still stinks. Keep reporting until they find a solution!!! But I no longer hope for a fix. I'm hoping for a decent aftermarket fix at this point.

Wow - this is starting to sound like some of the people that work for us - we cant, we cant , we cant, but we would like to complain about it anyhow. No, we don't have any ideas how to fix it - but we will continue to complain.

I am not saying the FAX is the only solution, but it is better than us saying - they wont do anything, it will stink anyhow, I've tried. A large group of complaints should get some attention. If nothing else a paper trail with a vin has some value.

Keep reporting until they find a solution!!!

Sorry if you focused on the negative in my response and missed out on this sentence. Yes, please keep spreading the word to report it to the dealers and to SOA. My hope is all but gone so take up the cause and run with it!

I have done my part and continue to report the problem each time I go back to the dealer. I have also reported it to SOA again and they have a long paper trail from me. Maybe I will be surprised one day by SOA and hear that they have come out with a new part. That would be a great surprise indeed.

I don't get it either. What kind of logic tells you that because they have done nothing in the past, no strategy will work in the future?

This is a big corporation. They are doing a cost/benifit calculation of some kind. As long as they can keep plausible deniability, there is every chance they will continue to do nothing because it is so cheap. But if ignoring the problem starts to be expensive, their tune will change. Customers organizing around a complaint like this is a good idea. For one thing, people who have not yet purchased this car will see how we are being treated and that will motivate action on Subaru's part. It shouldn't have to come to this, but because Subaru has decided to play dumb, it has.

Bret

I don't get it either. What kind of logic tells you that because they have done nothing in the past, no strategy will work in the future?

I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that I am personally losing my will to fight. But, as I said before, I continue to report the problem to my dealer and SOA. I am doing my part and encourage everyone else to do the same. Keep fighting!

But when this second clutch goes, I'm not going to pay for another OEM clutch. SOA only agreed to pay for my last one. As a result of this I will be looking to the aftermarket unless SOA surprises me with a new part.

Hmmm I wonder what the OEM transmission fluid smells like when burnt? It would be nice (in that an easy fix) if we just found a leaky transmission input shaft seal. A hard start (high engine RPM) would ensure any small leak would fling out fluid to the pressure plate. Just thinking aloud here -- it would only take a tiny leak (not enough to leave drips on the highway). I've been meaning to change my fluid to redline soon -- I may burn a little of the OEM stuff (after I've drained it out) to see if the smell is the same.

After saying all of this, I'm still quite convinced it's the clutch itself :)

Just reporting in on this one since I have now had my XT for almost 4000 miles. I was reading these threads months before I even bought the car, so I was a bit concerned.

End of the day, I haven't smelled my clutch once. I am stage 1 AP for the last 2500 miles, and have the UP/DP ready to go in soon.

Dave

Archived