• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i bought an 06 lgt mt

i bought my wife a 07 g35x

i test drove the 06 g35

thought it handled poorly and was underpowered for the weight

the 07 adds a bigger engine and it mates better with the car

of the 2 i would shop for a better priced lgt i love the limited and my sunroof so i really don't care that my back seat passengers are cramped the g force will kill thgem anyway:lol:

Where do you live?

If it snows... Legacy GT. Otherwise, go with which one floats your boat better.

I am 6'2", and a similar build to the original poster. I have NO problems with head room or anything, and I do have a sunroof. Not acres of room above my head, but not any sort of a problem. 6'4" or more might be. A little bit of small quarters for my right knee, but that is almost universal to any car.

I love my garnet red Legacy GT Limited. A G35 coupe might turn my head, but not a previous-gen sedan.

I would go lower on the Legacy's price, though. I bought for 22k last year, already tuned to Stage 2 with an accessPort, with two sets of wheels and original parts included. also 15k miles ago.

I'm going to go against the tide here and not recommend the LGT unless overall driving dynamics are your real goal and you intend to modify.

If you do not intend to modify, then the G35 will give you the rear wheel drive feel and more power and room. The interior of that particular G35, in my opinion, is lesser than the TL and the LGT.

Based upon all your statements, I would recommend the TL.

To give a little background to this statement, my wife and I are carefully considering her next car. We test drove LGT, new G35, 05 TL 6-speed, 06 BMW 330i 6-speed CPO, new Honda Accord (just because), VW GTI/Passat, and we checked out a few others like Audi A3/A4 that we discarded without test driving for one reason or another (it's going to be my wife's car).

If what you want is good performance, good reliability, and good luxury, I'd say go with the TL. It is a very good handler (for a 3400 pound sedan). It has great interior room. It has tons of luxury amenities, including the best stereo of any car I just named. I'm not even an audiophile but that stereo just blows me away.

The TL has more real-world, straight line acceleration than an LGT. Some might argue about that, but it does. It has slightly more top-end power, and it doesn't suffer from AWD drivetrain loss. So when you give it some juice at 30mph in 2nd gear, you'll accelerate a little faster than the LGT. That being said, it's a super refined V6....if that's your thing, then you'll much prefer that engine over the boxer. If you want a kicks in the pants at the expense of turbo lag, LGT all the way.

The TL will also give the best gas mileage of the group, has the most ergonomic interior, and only comes in one trim....totally loaded.

The 2005 TL 6-speed I test drove was running around 25k with a CPO warranty. It had, I think, 25-35k miles on it.

None of the cars you have named (LGT, TL, G35) have a fold-down rear seat. Does that matter to you?

Joe

If what you want is good performance, good reliability, and good luxury, I'd say go with the TL. It is a very good handler (for a 3400 pound sedan).

For some of us, the TL isn't even in the equation because it is FWD. It is a damn fine FWD car, but still an appliance to me.

For some of us, the TL isn't even in the equation because it is FWD. It is a damn fine FWD car, but still an appliance to me.

Agreed. The TL is a damn fine looking automobile but I can't shake the feeling that it would be so much better in RWD and AWD. Can you say torque steer?

I too would go for the G35 over the LGT and the Acura. You are going to get better gas mileage with the G by the way.

I am considering the 07-08 G35 right now.

B

fyi - I averaged 19 mpg in my '05 g35x, I get 21 in my LGT

Thanks for the lengthy post Joe :)

I think I am leaning towards the TL because of the interior. I even tried a 05 or 06 loaded accord yesterday just to see what they were like (my wife suggested this and I laughed at her). Not a bad car, I really don't like it's look but the interior seems like a scaled back TL (+ the nav kinda charmed me). Since I am in Seattle the Snow factor isn't that important to me, but I would imagine the FWD TL would do better than the G35 (obviously not the LGT).

I think for me it will just be finding one at the right price as well. For some reason it seems hard to find reasonably low mile TLs that are under 23k. I am trying to stay under 22k out the door (that number use to be 20k... but you know how things go). Sometimes I wish my current car would just fizzle so that it forces me to make a decision! ;)

Ah forgot to ask, what is your guys opinion on 2004/5 audi A4s. I know they have an available AWD.

- Brandon

To be honest the interior of the TL did not impress me that last time I sat in one at a dealer (I think it was an '06). It just felt like an Accord to me. Cheap, hard plastics all around. Not to say that the Legacy interior is much better but I just don't get how Honda can get away with charging more for the Acura brand. They throw some hids and fancy rims on an Accord and call it the next best thing.

:iam:

Brandon -

I'd ignore some of these gentlemen on here (such as the last post). No offense rabyd, but you know not what you are talking about based upon that last sentence.

To those who say "some of us feel that FWD ruins it." well, that's fine, but we're trying to help the OP and the OP has signified that FWD is not a deal-brekaer for him. I know some people think 'FWD = Appliance' but that's just a load of crap; FWD does not an appliance make, nor does RWD a sports car. A MINI Cooper is an awesome FWD car (as is my car, in my own opinion) and I've driven RWD cars that felt like crap. It's about the sum of the car.

The TL handles very well and only really exhibits torque steer in some situations. An 06 TL will exhibit almost no torque steer due to some modifications....04-05 will exhibit some under heavy throttle on bumpy roads or tight turns.

I'm going to list out some things about the TL that help "set it apart" from it's Honda Accord brethren. People who tend to think of Acura's as gussied up Hondas should feel the same way about Nissan=Infiniti, Toyota=Lexus, etc.

Acura TL:

- The sound system measures low-frequency noise emanating from the road and generates the opposite wave form to cancel out some of the ambient cabin noise. This lowers cabin noise by ~10 decibels at highway speed. This is besides the extra thick glass, sound deadening, and rubber trim that already quiets the cabin down.

- Xenon headlights standard, a nice feature

- ELS 5.1 DVD surround sound system. This delivers sound in 6 channels, vs. 2. If you use DVD-audio based sound, you'll feel like you are sitting in the middle of a symphony/concert...the seperation of instruments and vocals is absolutely fantastic. Again, I'm not an audiophile, and this system blows me away.

- 3.2 liter V6 - This engine produces a very nice mid-range and top-end, is exceptionally smooth, and gets good gas mileage. It was originally rated at 270 HP, and was downrated to 258 under new SAE regulations. Nonetheless, it's very strong.

- 6-speed TLs get a standard limited slip differential, brembo brakes, and upgraded sway bars

- Luxury features such as auto/up down on all windows (I believe), power seats with more power adjustments and memory seating tied to key (again, I believe this to be the case). Bluetooth standard.

- An onboard computer that allows you to adjust pre-sets to your particular key, such as how long the lights stay on after you turn off the car, how long it takes for the doors to lock, and many other things

Aside from all this and more, there are also benefits to the "acura experience" built into the price of the CPO car. If you care about such things, and again it seems like you want a little more luxury in your life, they can be very nice to have.

It wasn't the car for my wife and I, but I still like it overall. The design, in my opinion, is very timeless and has remained very attractive 4 years after it's release. If you test drive it and like it, I think you'll be quite happy.

Good luck!

Joe

The TL would be a very fine cruiser. Comfortable and relaxed, not to mention reliable.

Not to say the LGT isn't but the TL has a slight upper hand here.

The TL will also cost you more. For what an '05 LGT should cost you'd only get an '03 TL or high mileage '04

$21k for an '05 LGT is not OK. I paid $22k for my '05 in July of '06. I know LGTs sell for more around here, but $21k for an '05 is hilarious :lol:

You may not consider AWD a high priority for our relative lack of snow, and in general I'd agree. However it's also very nice to have for the rain, and is extra security for the rare occasions it does snow. I decided I wanted AWD after not being able to make it up my lightly snowed on driveway in my Accord a few years back.

I agree with Travis there....a good, moderate-to-low mileage used TL will run you ~5k more than a comparable LGT. Which seems about right, they had that much seperation when new and the TLs hold their value a little better.

Since that is a huge chunk of money, you definitely are looking at two different car classes.

As stated previously, 18k for the LGT would be a good deal.

Joe

2005 Legacy GT Limited 35000 miles - Garnet Red, automatic - $20,999

Bump on the price: My 2005 LGT-L 5MT was $17500 in August, and m-i-n-t with 29K

I also considered the G35, but vetoed for extremely poor snow performance...but I live in Ohio...

Bump on the price: My 2005 LGT-L 5MT was $17500 in August, and m-i-n-t with 29K

I also considered the G35, but vetoed for extremely poor snow performance...but I live in Ohio...

I agree on the price thing, we just bought our 05gt limited auto with 39k from a subie dealer for 15750 plus a grand for a subie warrenty.

Current '02TL owner speaking here. I know it's a previous generation but take it FWIW...

Problems during ownership:

1. Transmission failed at 90k.

2. Warped brake rotors. Causing severe vibration during braking.

3. Window trims peeling off.

4. Door panels separating.

It's a known fact that the TL has transmission problems, even on the 04-05 models. And all Hondas have inadequate brakes. And the amount of squeaks and rattles in the TL, even the 06-07, is just unacceptable in such a price range. Because of all these issues with the TL, the resale value is considerably lower than Lexus of the same model year.

I'm not trying to bad-mouth Acura/Honda. Just telling y'all the real world experience.

I'm done with Acura/Honda and so are some of my friends working at American Honda motors. That's why I'm on this board researching the LGT.

Brandon -

I'd ignore some of these gentlemen on here (such as the last post). No offense rabyd, but you know not what you are talking about based upon that last sentence.

To those who say "some of us feel that FWD ruins it." well, that's fine, but we're trying to help the OP and the OP has signified that FWD is not a deal-brekaer for him. I know some people think 'FWD = Appliance' but that's just a load of crap; FWD does not an appliance make, nor does RWD a sports car. A MINI Cooper is an awesome FWD car (as is my car, in my own opinion) and I've driven RWD cars that felt like crap. It's about the sum of the car.

The TL handles very well and only really exhibits torque steer in some situations. An 06 TL will exhibit almost no torque steer due to some modifications....04-05 will exhibit some under heavy throttle on bumpy roads or tight turns.

I'm going to list out some things about the TL that help "set it apart" from it's Honda Accord brethren. People who tend to think of Acura's as gussied up Hondas should feel the same way about Nissan=Infiniti, Toyota=Lexus, etc.

Acura TL:

- The sound system measures low-frequency noise emanating from the road and generates the opposite wave form to cancel out some of the ambient cabin noise. This lowers cabin noise by ~10 decibels at highway speed. This is besides the extra thick glass, sound deadening, and rubber trim that already quiets the cabin down.

- Xenon headlights standard, a nice feature

- ELS 5.1 DVD surround sound system. This delivers sound in 6 channels, vs. 2. If you use DVD-audio based sound, you'll feel like you are sitting in the middle of a symphony/concert...the seperation of instruments and vocals is absolutely fantastic. Again, I'm not an audiophile, and this system blows me away.

- 3.2 liter V6 - This engine produces a very nice mid-range and top-end, is exceptionally smooth, and gets good gas mileage. It was originally rated at 270 HP, and was downrated to 258 under new SAE regulations. Nonetheless, it's very strong.

- 6-speed TLs get a standard limited slip differential, brembo brakes, and upgraded sway bars

- Luxury features such as auto/up down on all windows (I believe), power seats with more power adjustments and memory seating tied to key (again, I believe this to be the case). Bluetooth standard.

- An onboard computer that allows you to adjust pre-sets to your particular key, such as how long the lights stay on after you turn off the car, how long it takes for the doors to lock, and many other things

Aside from all this and more, there are also benefits to the "acura experience" built into the price of the CPO car. If you care about such things, and again it seems like you want a little more luxury in your life, they can be very nice to have.

It wasn't the car for my wife and I, but I still like it overall. The design, in my opinion, is very timeless and has remained very attractive 4 years after it's release. If you test drive it and like it, I think you'll be quite happy.

Good luck!

Joe

I wouldn't ignore anybody on the forum. The OP (and anybody who reads forums such as this) needs to take everything everyone says with a fairly large grain of salt. Everyone has an opinion. If you ask me, Acura != Lexus and Infinity although many of the cars belonging to the latter brands still remind me way too much of their econobox brethren. Whenever I sit in an Acura it just feels like my finance's Accord, right down to the plastics and the cheesy feel of the controls. If you option out an Accord and presented it along with a similarly priced TL to the average lay person I bet they wouldn't be able to find a difference.

To me stuff like DVD sound, silly computerized bits (this is coming from somebody in IT), noise canceling stereos, and fancy headlights mean only one thing to me, added weight, cost, and complexity. I would probably skip all of these things if I were optioning out a new car. I know not everybody is like this and many would rather have a 5000 pound car with a 60hp motor that can do your dishes and wax your floors. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford a m5 I would buy it and be happy with all of is gadgetry. But, if you're considering a Legacy GT you obviously care about performance and that's why you're here.

I don't care what anyone says, FWD is not an ideal setup for a car with more than 200hp. I've driven a few Minis and they are absolutely a blast to drive, I even considered buying one. The torque steer was minimal, but it was there and the car understeered like a mofo. Why have four wheels if you're only going to use two? It's simple laws of physics, why do race car drivers brake before they begin turning? Because tires can only do one thing well at a time, turn or brake, not both. The same holds true for acceleration. You can add all the fancy diffs you want, even if you somehow magically eliminate torque steer all of the power the engine is making will be lost in the "magic" of the diffs.

Acuras are made for middle aged businessmen who want something flashy but can't afford a German luxury car, not for the enthusiast driver who is performance minded and wants a no frills (but still nice on the inside and comfortable on long trips) touring sedan. Fortunately that's why the Legacy GT exists.

Just my opinion (except the FWD stuff, people can back me up on that. :))

Hi,

Elcheapo is right on the transmission; the 04 Auto trans had a problem with proper lubrication on the, I believe, 2nd gear. It would overheat and destroy the trans. Happened primarily around 40-50k for those affected by it; no problems on the manual transmissions.

elcheapo - If you owned a 2002, how can you comment on 04-07 TLs regarding their rattles and things of that nature?

Furthermore, the braking system on the manual transmission TL is far superior to the brake system on the auto trans. The manual transmission had a brembo system involving, to my knowledge, different calipers, rotors, and pads. Most hondas do have bad stock brake pads; kinda easily solved. Some Hondas are known for developing the feeling of warped rotors, where in fact it is soft pads that leave deposits on the rotors which then cause a "shuddering" when braking. Again, new (non OEM) pads solves this.

Lastly, the TL is exhibiting great resale value. I am not sure about these comments on rattles; again, personal experience? Most of my research on TL forums did show there was one or two rattles that developed in a few 2004 models, but most 05 and newer owners didn't experience such things.

Do you have any hard data on Lexus (I'm guessing ES330 model since the IS300 model isn't holding it's value as well) holding it's value better than the TL?

Joe

Hehe....I was responding to the OP and what he seems to want. I don't think he can go truely wrong with any of the options.

"It's simple laws of physics, why do race car drivers brake before they begin turning? Because tires can only do one thing well at a time, turn or brake, not both."

Tell that to a 911 driver. He brakes heavy and hard before he turns so that the car's weight moves to the front wheels and he doesn't pendulum. He's trying to induce understeer.

Alot of people will say "why power 4 wheels when you only need to power 2; otherwise, you are wasting 10% of your car's propulsion almost all the time, adding weight and drivetrain complexity"...hence, why most track cars are RWD.

I'm not one of those, but there is a place for all different drivetrain setups. I could be wrong, but I think the LGT has a weight distribution of 60/40 even with AWD (please correct me if I'm wrong). My FWD Civic is 61/39; so in this example the AWD LGT is mainly improving balance by throttle-steer.

Correct me if I'm wrong in any of that...

Joe

I didn't say every car should be AWD, I just said FWD is not for performance applications. A RWD car still uses all 4 wheels, two for steering, two for propulsion. 911s are all wrong anyway, why would you put the engine in the back?! :)

AWD adds weight and is most definitely not good for racing for a myriad of other reasons. However, in every day performance applications (e.g. getting around ruddy on ramps at speed, driving through rain and on less than perfect roads) it can't be beat.

You know, I've read alot of people talking about AWD in the rain. I'm not trying to be ignorant, but how exactly does AWD help you drive through the rain (note: I'm not saying accelerate through a turn, just drive through the rain in everyday driving).

I don't see how it's superior to, say, a FWD/RWD car with DSC. Or even without.

And 911's are backwards....but damnit, you can't beat steering response with only 20% of the car's weight on the wheels that turn.... :)

Plus...though I've never driven one...I can't imagine the fun of doing everything at the extreme. Brake as late as possible, dive into the turn as hard as possible, and accelerate as much as possible as soon as you hit the apex...

BTW, I'll never forget driving my Saab 9-2x Aero through 12 miles of backroads with 5-8" of unplowed snow on the road. Stock re92's and about 8000 miles on the tires. Unbelievable. Just don't ask me to stop.

Joe

I'm commenting on the rattles based on my experience on some 06-07 TLs. That and many more threads on Acura forums from many owners. Actually my 02 doesn't rattle as badly as the 06-07 that I've driven.

The rotors are warped, no question about it. Changing pads and machining will not solve the issue. It will come back after several thousand miles. And the Brembos are only available on the type-s.

Look, I'm just telling my real world experience on the TL. If you don't believe it, then go ahead and buy the TL. But I know I won't. It's the worst car I've owned regardless of price.

Archived