LegacyGT.com

Good all seasons that perform well in snow/ice?

Wooderson

So far, we're happy with the GYTT. Handled slush very well, no heavy snow or ice yet. Very good in wet & dry. Getting an alignment at the same time helped, I assume, getting a little more front grip (finally getting a bit of negative front camber).

Mpg is down about 1mpg, but that may be due to winter gas, or the slightly larger size we picked (235/55/17).

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

generalleeharvey - Be sure you check tire pressures. :) Even if you have your tires at "optimal fill" for your usual clear/wet cold-weather driving, you still may not be at the best pressures for when the slick stuff starts coming down.

Just as it takes a bit of experimenting to see what pressures are best for typical dry/wet traction, snow and slush will also take experimenting.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I got an extra set of rims, and now I'm looking to get some snow tires.

I live in Wisconsin but never head into mountainous areas so I'm thinking about saving some money and get ContiExtremes for my winter set and then a nice performance tire (F1) this summer on my summer set.

Does this seem like a plan?

I live in Wisconsin but never head into mountainous areas so I'm thinking about saving some money and get ContiExtremes for my winter set and then a nice performance tire (F1) this summer on my summer set.

Why don't you just get winter tires if you are going to change them out for summer anyway?

That is what I do..... Conti's for Seattle's weak winter ( ie minimal in-town snow) and Falken 452's in summer. Full-on winter tires are not much fun.....when there is no snow on the road.

That is what I do..... Conti's for Seattle's weak winter ( ie minimal in-town snow) and Falken 452's in summer. Full-on winter tires are not much fun.....when there is no snow on the road.

see, our winters aren't too weak.....so I'm torn. I wish I knew just how good the Contis are.

our experince from Swedish winter (there it is unlegal to drive without winter tires) is that we often got at our cars from dealer is called "all season tires" this tires is not good enough for summer or for winter... pretty usless tires...

Studdless tires who is made for winter use is not good for summerdriving cause of the rubbermix, the rubber is much softer and not grip well as a summer tire, and when the road is warm the handling can be pretty much as drive with summer tires in winter, thats also cause the rubber in studdless winter tires, is way softer and performed for cold climate, when it´s sunny and to warm the rubber will be even softer - to soft - you will notice when it screams from your tires...

anyway swedish papers test a lot of tires and the test winner latest years has been Nokian tires and Gislaved nordfrost (finish and swedish brands) the test is include italian brands like pirelli that not perform well, bridgestone, goodyear and more

I use nokian hakkapelitta with studs myself, and that tire even grip to good, hard to have fun with ;)

That's the plan I undertook. The Contis are great in the snow and wet. They are also more than decent in the dry. They are great tires for mid-west winters where we see snow, wet and plenty of dry as well.

From the couple of times I've driven on snow with my contiContactExtreme, I have plenty of confidence in them. They are soo much better on white than the RE92's. I'm running them as winter tires and am planning to get a dedicated summer tire on my spare set of rims. The ONLY drawback with the conti's is the lack of stiffness in the sidewall. Depending how you see it, it does give a better ride quality, but a little more slosh in the turns. Having said that the ultimate grip and limit of the conti's is better than the 92's. But I went plus size on stock rims, so stock size might not be as soft in the sidewall...
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

From the couple of times I've driven on snow with my contiContactExtreme, I have plenty of confidence in them. They are soo much better on white than the RE92's. I'm running them as winter tires and am planning to get a dedicated summer tire on my spare set of rims. The ONLY drawback with the conti's is the lack of stiffness in the sidewall. Depending how you see it, it does give a better ride quality, but a little more slosh in the turns. Having said that the ultimate grip and limit of the conti's is better than the 92's. But I went plus size on stock rims, so stock size might not be as soft in the sidewall...

Pump the Contis up for a firmer ride.

Update on ContiExtremeContact performance:

Drove home on roads that had the crap scared out of every other driver on the road last night. Friggin' Contis were glued to the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Just doing my share of research for my next tires, as I have about 8k miles left on these shitty stockers.

So ... I'm pretty set on the Continental ContactExtremes. Anybody NOT happy at all with these for any reason? I looked @ TireRack Reviews, there were some low ratings there with people complaining about exactly the same thing others were praising :D

I live in Nebraska, so we do get snow. While I'm reading they're good for snow, I don't want to sacrifice too much in terms of summer driving :)

see, our winters aren't too weak.....so I'm torn. I wish I knew just how good the Contis are.

Lots of people use WR's as dedicated snows. That includes me, I have Nokian RSI's as well and haven't bothered to put them on, in fact I'm going to sell them.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Just doing my share of research for my next tires, as I have about 8k miles left on these shitty stockers.

So ... I'm pretty set on the Continental ContactExtremes. Anybody NOT happy at all with these for any reason? I looked @ TireRack Reviews, there were some low ratings there with people complaining about exactly the same thing others were praising :D

I live in Nebraska, so we do get snow. While I'm reading they're good for snow, I don't want to sacrifice too much in terms of summer driving :)

The Contis are a great urban winter tire. As I've written before, I'd get true snows for consistent mountain use but I'd have no problem using the Contis on a 3 week ski trip. However for me, I'd have to cover a lot of miles to get to the Rockies and this is where the Contis would have it all over a snow tire.

To do it really right tirewise on such a trip, you'd have 18" winter performance tires for prairie crossing and then a 17" set of snows waiting for you in the foothills. The Contis do both really well if you don't cook them by using them as a summer tire too.

Archived