LegacyGT.com

Good all seasons that perform well in snow/ice?

Wooderson

I really want to get the re92's off. I've driven in some light snow with them for the first time and I was less than impressed. Are there any good all season tires that work close to/just as good in the snow? I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone, even if I have to pay a little extra. Right now I don't want to spend the money on a dedicated winter set. Decent 17" snow tires for the subie cost more than I paid for snow tires and wheels combined for my civic.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't tell you who makes a good one but I current have pirelli pzero nero's on and they aren't much of an upgrade over the re-92's in the snow. For the 350$ to $400 for snow tires, I'm just going to buy them this year and stop playing the crap shoot on the snow with all seasons.

Wife has Bridgestone Potenza RE960 PP on her Audi and last year she thought I had put her Blizzaks on. While I would not give them that high a rating for really deep snow or ice tests at Tirerack showed they were pretty close. They were certainly enough to pull her car out of a spot through snow deeper than her bumpers with no problem. They are also really good in the rain.

You'll also see lots of good reviews here on the Conti Extreme Contacts. They are a bit cheaper and most everyone sings their praises.

Nokian WR (or their G2 or whatever thier new version is) is the only tire with snow perfomance that could be called "good" that won't melt in the summer.

If you must go with an "all-season" this is the only true "all-season" IMHO.

Goodyear TripleTreds are rated very high. I have them on 2 of the 4 family cars we have, but i havent really driven on them.

I have them now and they are excellant.

I am going to go with a higher performace all season next though maybe the conti extremes.

Anyone tried the pilot sport a/s in the snow?

We're placing our hopes (and $) on the GY Assurance TT. Hopefully they'll come in today. We ordered 235/55/17's, which seem to be more readily available than 225/55/17.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

^ I didn't say I trusted it. ;)

In the thread I'd cited, I mentioned myself (post 19) what I thought about some of the ratings......

Still, it's a resource.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

There is one passenger all season with the severe duty snow (mountain snowflake) rating: the Nokian WR. If anyone else could pass it they would. So you are relying on some tires that are snow tires because the manufacturer says they are.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

There is one passenger all season with the severe duty snow (mountain snowflake) rating: the Nokian WR. If anyone else could pass it they would. So you are relying on some tires that are snow tires because the manufacturer says they are.

However, you are paying a performance price to go to an all season. The WR is capable but not anything like the top summer tires in the dry. Go to an autocross and you can hear the cars with All Seasons - they screaming on every turn.

Exactly.

The worst tire with a mountain snowflake will be significantly better than the best M+S tire in the snow.

Wrs are really good enough to be used as a dedicated snow and perform well enough in the summer (really, they're pretty decent for all-seasons).

Their test was pretty spot on with the snow and ice performance of the Conti Extremes. For an A/S tire that is excellent in snow and wet, they also perform pretty darn well in the dry.
There are a few problems with their methodology. First, their ice test is a stop on a hockey rink from 10mph only. Second, they don't give you the raw data, just their rating. Finally, the rating includes other data not shown. All this by their own statements on their forums.

They tested the WR only against dedicated snows, so there's no tread wear measurement.

CRHPSnows.thumb.jpg.3ab2058291517591923a70588e507a13.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived