LegacyGT.com

Orange Peel

rodeo-clown

Guest *Jedimaster*
I have some on my rear hatch and on my quarter panels. It doesn't bother me much, but if it bothers you, any good detail shop should be able to take care of it for you.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I wonder if that would be considered a paint defect and maybe we could have a class action suit and everyone gets their car repainted.

hummm i don't know it was there when we singed the papers excepting the car, and all new cars painted with fast dry gel coat clear coats have it...i just don't think we have the grounds... :( if they just took the time to wet sand it, it would look pissa

Orange peel is unfortunately unavoidable in todays cars. It's a combination of the new environmentally "friendly" paints, and the paint process. You really only see it on the verticle serfaces of the car. Unless the manufacturer is out there wet sanding the car, you're not going to escape orange peel. It's not a subaru thing at all, in fact the legacy isn't as bad as some other cars I've seen. Go check out a Corvette, or 350Z. Thos have horrible orange peel. [img]http://celicaman.f0e.net/albums/Legacy/DSCN2854sm.jpg[/img]

No clay baring won't remove orange peel. Clay bar only removes particles of dirt and grit that are stuck in your paint. Orange peel is physical bumps and valleys in your paint. The only way to get rid of it is to wet sand the car which removes the bumps to make the painted surface smooth.

If it is in the clearcoat then sanding will work (though obviously the clear coat will be deminished or removed, which is a lot worse than the orange peel). If it is in the paint you have to get down to the color, which means replacing the clearcoat. I'd bet it is in the color.

[quote name='grimbeaver']this may be a stupid question but whats a clay bar?[/QUOTE] a bar made of clay Like monorail: mono, meaning one and rail, meaning rail Seriously.. its just a sticky / slightly rough / formable bar that is used to LIGHTLY smooth out the car surface.. slightly abrasive.. used to take off old wax / tar / bug crap, etc. My car will be getting this treatment in the spring after all this winter salt, etc

Unfortunately orange peel is a fact of life with new OEM paint jobs. All the more reason for me to get a legacy, and have it repainted this color! [IMG]http://www.subdriven.com/gallery/generated//Automobiles/Legacy/Generation%204/Legacy%20B4=International/006__scaled_600.jpg[/IMG] With the Corazon body kit and fender flares, and a nicely wet-sanded San Remo Red paint job. [cartman]sweeet![/cartman] Seriously, does the legacy come in this color in any market? I don't think it does, but I wholeheartedly think it should. GRP should go for 2.5i and GT, and San Remo Red (like this one) should be the GT or Leg STi* color, along with Crystal Grey and WR Blue.

a bar made of clay

Like monorail: mono, meaning one

and rail, meaning rail

Seriously.. its just a sticky / slightly rough / formable bar that is used to LIGHTLY smooth out the car surface..

slightly abrasive.. used to take off old wax / tar / bug crap, etc.

My car will be getting this treatment in the spring after all this winter salt, etc

ah isee, thx

San remo red is a sweet color..

interestingly enough... thats the color my car is listed as having on the dealer paperwork.. hmm..

i wonder if i could claim my LGT red is 'off' and have them repaint to 'stock' san remo red ..

hmmm

*gears turning*

I have not found many new cars that dont have nasty orange peel. Ours are not worse than others. Wet sanding with #2000 or #2500 will get a flat look but im fearful of not having enough clearcoat so I havent tried it yet. No guts no glory. If I was sure that it was thick enough would do my car myself.

The clearcoat is not really thick enough for wet sanding... Live with the peel or have it repainted.

Unfortunately, the low VOC formulations (and the fact that manufacturers use less and less film build) leads this issue to be common.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree: orange peel is a fact of life, and I'm quite happy with the paint quality of my LGT - WAY better than the Mazda6 it replaced.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after 2 hours at Irvine Subaru debating with the Subaru regional manager I feel I may have to take it to the next level.

1. I dropped off my car on tuesday this week to have them address the excessivly dull paint job that my legacy got from the factory.

2. Picked up the car yesterday after it was wet sanded polished and waxed. It doesnt look any better. Service manager agreed it looks bad so he said lets meet with the regional manger tommorrow and he can make the next move.

3. Today I met with the regional manager and we compared my cars poor quality paint job to the other on the lot. Other than the white and the silver they all look bad to me.

So he goes on trying to tell me that people pay good money for cars with a flat finish. Like the prodrive acura at the SEMA show and the audi tt. I said "but I didnt pay 30k for a car with a dull finish" . He said maybe Subaru doesnt want the car to be glossy. WHAT!!!!! That makes no sense at all.

I have had 3 Subarus in the last 3 years. I love the cars and the customer service I have recieved over the years, but this line of BS was too much.

Subaru need to step up the quality if they want to keep me and my family as loyal customers.

I will be writing a formal letter to SOA informing them of the statements made by the regional manger along with my intentions of heading up a class action lawsuit If my needs are not met. I know after reading all of the complaints about poor quality paint that I will not be alone in this.

The only things that will resolve this is Subaru taking back the car and giving me the same car in silver or white (those are the only 2 colors that dont show the obvious poor paint quality) or refunding me the purchase price of the car.

I will keep you all posted

Orange peel is extremely hard to remove once the car has been cleared. Factory paint has it. There is not really a way to easily remove it. Orange peel is more like something that needs to be prevented rather than cured. Unless you wetsand between every layer of paint, including the clear coat, it is impossible to avoid orange peel. I seriously doubt that any detailer has the ability to remove orange peel that is as extreme as the Legacy. I am as anal as any detailer alive, but I am prepared to accept that this is just the way my car came. I've seen worse and I've seen better. I'm not going to lose any points at show for it.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived