LegacyGT.com

5EAT and Stage 2

fishbone

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to revisit this thread if it's OK with everyone. I've been Stage 2 for 4 months/5K miles and the transmission couldn't care less, knock on wood as to not tempt fate. During the first couple of weeks a couple of times at WOT pulls it felt like she struggled to clamp down all that power shifting from 1st to 2nd but not anymore. I'm not sure if the TCU is capable of knowing slippage and increasing line pressure, but if you asked me I think that's exactly what it did. Right now I'm still on the Cobb OTS Stage 2 91 map and she shifts at redline with no issues. I've been complaining in the past about that, I'll try to find the description but the said issue has gone away.

Later edit, here's what I was talking about

Well, I pay close attention to what the car is doing and I can tell you guys that, although I admit this may be a bit of paranoia too, that at conservative Stage 2 levels the stock 5EAT is almost struggling to clamp down and handle the increase in torque.

My transmission isn't slipping, knock on wood, but the shift points seem to be ... mushy? Is that the word I am looking for? The revs climb, then comes the shift point and they instantly stop climbing, but from the moment the gear is dropped and the next one "grabbed", that period is as if you half feather the clutch instead of dumping it. Does that make sense? It seems moreso with these power levels. Back when it was stock, the shift points seemed to be a bit more firm.

So all that being said, do you think I'm at the point where I might be seeing wear and tear on the clutch packs, or is it normal behavior?

VB mod time for peace of mind, I just hate that I gotta baby it for a while.

My Stage 2 thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90258

I have a PDX map waiting to be loaded so I'll come back with updates.

I would like to revisit this thread if it's OK with everyone. I've been Stage 2 for 4 months/5K miles and the transmission couldn't care less, knock on wood as to not tempt fate. During the first couple of weeks a couple of times at WOT pulls it felt like she struggled to clamp down all that power shifting from 1st to 2nd but not anymore. I'm not sure if the TCU is capable of knowing slippage and increasing line pressure, but if you asked me I think that's exactly what it did. Right now I'm still on the Cobb OTS Stage 2 91 map and she shifts at redline with no issues. I've been complaining in the past about that, I'll try to find the description but the said issue has gone away.

Later edit, here's what I was talking about

My Stage 2 thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90258

I have a PDX map waiting to be loaded so I'll come back with updates.

I actually have the opposite problem you do. It seems like when the time to shift comes it just grabs the shit outta the clutch packs. I actually hear the tranny shift. Its all well and good with me i dont mind the rough ride, as long as the sucker doesnt slip i could care less. That was during the summer, then i had a point were i thought i had slip, it wasnt slip it was a flare that should monitored but not worried about. Now the temps starting to drop a bit and i swear the tranny is beasting it, everytime i give it the juice its like the tranny is telling me to slap its a$$ and ride it harder. I dunno if i should but i do.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

I actually have the opposite problem you do. It seems like when the time to shift comes it just grabs the shit outta the clutch packs. I actually hear the tranny shift. Its all well and good with me i dont mind the rough ride, as long as the sucker doesnt slip i could care less. That was during the summer, then i had a point were i thought i had slip, it wasnt slip it was a flare that should monitored but not worried about. Now the temps starting to drop a bit and i swear the tranny is beasting it, everytime i give it the juice its like the tranny is telling me to slap its a$$ and ride it harder. I dunno if i should but i do.

you have such a way with words, Carlos! :lol:

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

just clunky every once in a while. i only notice it when the ac is on. actually its more like a mild thud. i wouldnt say clunk. i also have the bushing so that might intensify things

That's normal when the transmission fluid is not at operating temperature, it used to do it when the car was stock too. The 5EAT will rev up more to help warm it up faster. Mine almost always waits for the upsift from 1st to 2nd when I get to drive it and after it's warmed up, goes away. So I think what you are describing is in 1st gear the tranny revs up to 2600rpms or so and then shifts to 2nd very firm, correct?

So... I've been thinking about the tranny cooler thing for a while. I've held off on it for a couple of reasons, number one being I don't beat the hell out of my car at all, and I pretty much just cruise at 70mph on the interstate to and from work.

Number two, and this being a larger issue to me, is: So what happens with a tranny cooler when I'm running it in -20F weather during the winter? This happens pretty frequently up here and I'm concerned that a large radiator with ATF flowing through it and being cooled by -20F air means that the ATF struggle to stay at operating temp...

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Fishbone, I see you're from Nebraska which means you probably see some pretty similar temperatures during the winter... What do you think?

you don't need to remove the bumper. Only the front grille.

Even on the '08s? I thought the bumper cover had to come off for clear access. That'll make things all the easier if the cover doesn't need to come off.

Archived