LegacyGT.com

5EAT and Stage 2

fishbone

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shouldn't. If anything your dealer should commend you for it because it is better for your transmission. Some may frown because they associate tranny cooler with "harsh driving conditions", IE racing or towing. There's a difference between voiding your warranty and denying a warranty claim.

• 3 weeks later...

Either one will get the job done.

Personally I'm getting the TruCool 4454 due to the bypass feature. It basically routes the transmission fluid through it based on it's temperature. If the fluid is thick, it won't route it to cool it and take longer for it to warm up. As it warms up, it starts to gradually circulate it through it's entire volume.

oh that is kinda interesting then... would be a little better for in the cold perhaps? i know i've been looking at a possible pick up of a temp gauge for the transmission as well to make sure all is well and i dont push it too hard come summer time... hmmmm...

• 4 weeks later...
What about AutoX on the 5eat? I am considering trading in my STi for a 5eat LGT, and I'm wondering how it will hold up to the conditions... I am a rather avid autoXer with my STi...

you should pm trs and xleezardx. the track thier 5eat

What about AutoX on the 5eat? I am considering trading in my STi for a 5eat LGT, and I'm wondering how it will hold up to the conditions... I am a rather avid autoXer with my STi...

you'll want to go stg 2 in the 5EAT or you will hate it. just FYI. we have both an 07 STI and 05 LGT 5EAT that we track. I love tracking my 5EAT, but mostly after stg 2. I have ran the STI a few times and it runs completely different. We'll see for the coming season, will be tracking the 08 STI once it's broken in.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

i personally have used the B&M tranny coolers in my last 2 cars and have nothing but great things to say about them. took my maxima tranny to over 200k miles and its still shifts great. threw one on the xt when i got it. at stage one now with no apparent shifting issues.

• 2 months later...

Thread revival. Called my shop to schedule some work for Stage 2 and they had 2 questions that I did not know the answer to. They looked at some diagrams and their own databases don't really show clearly some things, so here were their questions:

-does the turbo have to come off to replace the uppipe?

-how many hours of labor to take down the first section of the downpipe to gut the cat? They basically can't tell how easy it is to get to without looking at the car and I was trying to get a quote.

turbo does not have to come off and the downpipe is less than an hour with airtools. for the up pipe you need to remove the passenger side wheel and pass side exhaust manifold although some say they can do it without removing it. i did both in my driveway with handtools and beer. took about 8 hours with a friend. many breaks for oreo's and beer

First: No the turbo stays on to take off the up pipe and downpipe. However the manifold needs to be removed and quite possibly the engine might need to be jacked up about 2-6 inches to ease the up pipe removal.

Second: To gut the cat will take about 30 minutes for those with the proper tools and experience and as much as 1 hour and a half for those without the above skills and tools. Also it is probably not totally possible to remove the front part of the downpipe without removing the whole dp section as a whole.

However i never really messed with the oem downpipe i brought the whole thing down in one section. Mind you before that moment i have never really touched a car's parts so it was a learning experience and it was fairly easy after the first time you do it. SO you might and might not be able to take off the first part of the downpipe like that but my guess says NO.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

turbo does not have to come off and the downpipe is less than an hour with airtools. for the up pipe you need to remove the passenger side wheel and pass side exhaust manifold although some say they can do it without removing it. i did both in my driveway with handtools and beer. took about 8 hours with a friend. many breaks for oreo's and beer

There is definitely no need to remove the wheel, just need to jack the engine up a bit from the engine mount and if you removed the passenger side manifold elbow it should pretty much fall right out.

8 hours is quite a bit! The first time i did it took 6 hours and the second time was about 3 hours(hustling a bit).

R.I.P Coxx

Thank you sirs! I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be a big deal.

As a precaution, I am to have them use brand new OEM gaskets, yes?

Accept no substitutes!

R.I.P Coxx

I did my second up-pipe install by myself with just hand tools 2 weekends ago. Got it done in just over 3.5 hours, and I did not remove the manifold either time. I was also able to remove just the downpipe with out removing the mid pipe by unbolting the hangers, that is 1 less gasket you'll have to buy. To get the uppipe out just remove the nut on the passenger's side engine mount, and loosen the driver's side mount nut so it is on by just a few threads. jack up the engine and the uppipe should pretty much fall out. The mount won't want to drop right back in, so pry on the mount a little (it wil flex enough, it's just rubber) and lower the engine back down. Some have said you can remove the roll-pitch stop (the engine mount under the intercooler), but I didn't have to and was able to do the whole job without removing the intercooler, wich saves you from having to buy those gaskets too.

Archived