LegacyGT.com

5EAT and Stage 2

fishbone

I looked around 6 pages but didn't seem to find a clear topic just on this issue, I've spotted some replies here and there to this question but they were generally in topic of other nature.

I'd like to know, those of you that had/have a Stage 2 Legacy, what your experience is with the 5EAT. How many miles, what issues?

I plan on getting a transmission cooler but not the IPT upgrade. I will most likely stick to Stage 2 once I finally get my downpipe and maybe do some minor upgrades here and there to improve the Stage 2, such as headers, full exhaust, etc.

I realize it depends on driving style, let's just say regular driving with occasional WOT and race, no brake torque-ing, towing or other such stuff.

Thanks and sorry if this has already been adressed a million times, like I said I didn't quite find it.

This is my daily driver that I care for so I'd like it to last and at this point I'm not 100% sure a Stage 2 tune is or isn't safe[ish] for the stock tranny with a cooler. I'm talking Stage 2 Cobb maps, I know they're a bit more conservative.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Def. get a tranny cooler, especially in Neb. Go Huskers! I drive a 5EAT, 4K miles at stage II, no probs yet.

I read somewhere never powerbrake your 5EAT above 2800, I think AKLGT said that one...not sure.

Headers won't get you much, unless you start into swaps.

:whore: on Tranny Cooler, worth while investment for only ~$40.

I am hitting 65K with 30K in Stage 2. Nothing but good things. My probably next upgrade is for a new TMIC but that's about it. Stage 0 and Stage 2 is like Night and Day, once you start modding though, boy does the bug spread! ;)

mods start to run dry with the EAT after stage II. It's difficult to get power for the car without spending an arm and a leg.

You start looking into a bigger turbo set-up it doesn't matter if it is MT or 5EAT it's gonna start adding up quick. The only extra expense with 5EAT is VB at $1K. Keep in mind the VB is also a perfomance mod in that it gets the trans to make quick firm shifts. The turbo+supporting mods, brakes, tires, supension, ect is when it really adds up.

2005.5 5eat Ran 13.5 with just a Full Perrin Downpipe, K&N Drop in Filter, and an Off the the shelf Cobb Stage 2 tune.

Power Breaked it to 3200RPM at the line tho :)

Wow nice :) What track?

Like others have said try and keep the launch to 2800 w/o the VB.

I have a tru-cool 4454 tranny cooler going in soon I will let you know about it :)

Going in for my tranny flush and fill this week!

Def. get a tranny cooler, especially in Neb. Go Huskers! I drive a 5EAT, 4K miles at stage II, no probs yet.

I read somewhere never powerbrake your 5EAT above 2800, I think AKLGT said that one...not sure.

Headers won't get you much, unless you start into swaps.

ya, i consistently torque braked my stg 2 (barely) well over 2800 rpms (sometimes up to 4000 rpms) set up all summer at the drag strip and autox. i paid for it later because as soon as I did the sti swap, the gears were slipping. :(

also, FYI for anyone considering doing the VB upgrade, legacy_otaku has a stock VB for sale $500. That's a great way to buy it, send it in for work and then swap, resell your VB to someone else. just a thought.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

ya, i consistently torque braked my stg 2 (barely) well over 2800 rpms (sometimes up to 4000 rpms) set up all summer at the drag strip and autox. i paid for it later because as soon as I did the sti swap, the gears were slipping. :(

also, FYI for anyone considering doing the VB upgrade, legacy_otaku has a stock VB for sale $500. That's a great way to buy it, send it in for work and then swap, resell your VB to someone else. just a thought.

I really wish IPT had a core returning system. You buy the upgraded IPT VB For say $1100 and then if you return your stock VB to them they send you a check for $500. I think that would get more people to buy them.

Wow nice :) What track?

Like others have said try and keep the launch to 2800 w/o the VB.

I have a tru-cool 4454 tranny cooler going in soon I will let you know about it :)

Going in for my tranny flush and fill this week!

Cecil County Drag Way in Maryland

Temp was 28* and about 20% Humidity

Could have been way faster with decent tires. My 60' foot was only 1.89 and trap speed was 99.66 MPH

:whore: on Tranny Cooler, worth while investment for only ~$40.

I am hitting 65K with 30K in Stage 2. Nothing but good things. My probably next upgrade is for a new TMIC but that's about it. Stage 0 and Stage 2 is like Night and Day, once you start modding though, boy does the bug spread! ;)

Tell me about it.

According to some of the HEAVY stage 2+ users on this board, the factory 5eat is more than capable of handling stage2 power levels.

After riding in mikeyan's wagon, I am fairly confident that our JATCOs can take a healthy amount of power.

You start looking into a bigger turbo set-up it doesn't matter if it is MT or 5EAT it's gonna start adding up quick. The only extra expense with 5EAT is VB at $1K. Keep in mind the VB is also a perfomance mod in that it gets the trans to make quick firm shifts. The turbo+supporting mods, brakes, tires, supension, ect is when it really adds up.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a VB? (I don't think search would help much on two random letters)

no, some are better than others. I forget what it's called, but the Hayden tranny cooler I have is a serpentine? style??? can't remember exactly, but better than the older typical ones.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived