LegacyGT.com

Act clutch & LWFW install

Infamous1

This weekend me and another member (Itsme) will be swapping out the stock garbage with the 06-07 WRX Act setup. Anyone have a short walkthough or steps to completing the job easily. Are there any specialty tools required? Also why we're down there knocking this out anything else I should bother replacing or changing (fluids & such)?

Any help is appreciated :)

It's pretty straightforward. The LGT is actually the easiest Subaru to do a clutch on. No special tools required. A Torx Plus is the preferred tool to take off the flywheel bolts, but I've used a regular Torx on every one I've done and not had any problems. I have never attempted a clutch install without a lift though. While the 5MT is not a heavy tranny, removing and reinstalling while lying on my back is not something I would look forward to.

There are no tricks for the install. Just take off the TMIC. Remove the dogbone and starter. Drain the tranny. Remove the driveshaft. Disconnect the shifter and wiring harnesses. Remove the tranny bolts and nuts. Support the tranny and unbolt the tranny crossmember. Wiggle the tranny out. Remove the stock clutch and flywheel. Thoroughly clean the new flywheel, pressure plate and install. Insert the alignment tool and install the clutch disk and pressure plate. Torque it down even in a criss-cross pattern a little at a time so that it seats evenly. Reinstall everything else in reverse. Refill tranny.

It's pretty straightforward. The LGT is actually the easiest Subaru to do a clutch on. No special tools required. A Torx Plus is the preferred tool to take off the flywheel bolts, but I've used a regular Torx on every one I've done and not had any problems. I have never attempted a clutch install without a lift though. While the 5MT is not a heavy tranny, removing and reinstalling while lying on my back is not something I would look forward to.

There are no tricks for the install. Just take off the TMIC. Remove the dogbone and starter. Remove the driveshaft. Disconnect the shifter and wiring harnesses. Remove the tranny bolts and nuts. Wiggle the tranny out. Remove the stock clutch and flywheel. Thoroughly clean the new flywheel and install. Insert the alignment tool and install the clutch disk and pressure plate. Torque it down even in a criss-cross pattern a little at a time so that it seats evenly. Reinstall everything else in reverse.

Thanks alot Paul! Seems simple enough me and bryan should be knocking it out shortly. Thanks for everyone's help, write up should follow shortly.

If you try to install it yourself you will see, without a lift it is a real adventure trying to seperate the trans case from the engine. The turbo is right next to the tranny when trying to pull it out.

question, is any work required inside the car? ie. remove console to get at shift linkage or can the linkage just be disconnect from below? thanks bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

question, is any work required inside the car? ie. remove console to get at shift linkage or can the linkage just be disconnect from below? thanks bosco

The linkage is disconnected under the car. I'm not sure why Infamous1 had issues with the position of the turbo. It really isn't in the way of anything when separating the tranny from the block.

The linkage is disconnected under the car. I'm not sure why Infamous1 had issues with the position of the turbo. It really isn't in the way of anything when separating the tranny from the block.

thanks. mine is scheduled for tomorrow will post results. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

maybe it becomes more of a problem when you don't have a lift?

is your clutch slipping, bosco?

maybe it becomes more of a problem when you don't have a lift?

is your clutch slipping, bosco?

it was slipping noticeably two weeks ago when the boost hit 22 psi so i bought a new clutch kit and drove it easy, the other day i figured what the hell i have the parts lets see what happens. guess what? no noticeable slip but you can still smell the clutch when driven hard. i'm still going to replace it b/c it's just a matter of time b4 complete failure. i think with organic clutches they can sort of repair themselves to a point but with larger power it probably won't last. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived