LegacyGT.com

Ice Racing

Beanboy

So ice racing has been on my list for a while. Since I'm chicken about wheel-to-wheel racing, especially on ice, thinking the BMW Chapter of Boston series (rallycross style) would be best to get my feet wet. Hmm, that's probably a poor choice of words. ZING

Anyway, finally spending a chunk of money on the car, and that will include some winter tires, figured this will be the year.

Anybody been/want to go when the time comes?

-B

The problem is that it hasn't gotten cold enough to get a good layer of ice on the lakes.. blame global warming, or whatever you want, but the lake i used to live on (lake sunapee, in nh) didn't completely freeze over this past year :mad:

I used to do what amounted to ice autocross with COM when I had my Scirocco. There are different classes depending on if you have AWD, studs, etc. They usually don't get going until mid February. The events I went to were in a cove on Lake Winnipesaukee, or a pond in MA.

Ice boating is way more fun but also requires ice. They are sort of vagabonds because you need ice but not snow, so good conditions are hard to find.

It's not hard on the car - speeds are low and sometimes it pays to take passengers.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

you could have started off easier with just autocrossing first.. driving on a pavement such as ice isnt easy, did you see my youtube videos with the RS? Granted I was on Summer tires racing on 2" thick sheet of ice, it's really not that hard.. with ice tires, you'll just have more grip to put the power down, but by no means you are going to be able to stop faster than you can go.
Keefe

Will do. BMW club hasn't updated for this year yet.

My one rallycross (2nd in AWD modified class, weak field) was way more fun the autocrosses I've done over the years. Something very fun about looking out a side window to see where you are going, hehe. Figure the fun will be increased when snow and ice are involved!

Archived