LegacyGT.com

08 - Unplug DRL, Lose High Beam Indicator

Agnt86

Hey guys,

I just noticed this, and wanted to see if anyone has a workaround. I've got a 2008 2.5i Limited.

I did the DRL "mod". Basically, I found the plug labeled DRL underneath the kickplate and unplugged it. That turned off the DRLs as expected. However now, when you engage the high beams, the blue indicator light does not appear on the cluster.

I plugged the DRL module back in, and the high beam indicator starts appearing again in the cluster. It looks like the plug contains both the DRL wiring and the high beam indicator wiring.

Does anyone know the pinout of the DRL plug? I would love to pop the pin out to disable the DRLs, but keep the rest of the module plugged in to retain the high beam indicator if at all possible.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh, interesting. I just went to check on mine (with the DRL mod done). High beams come on fine, but there isn't any high beam indicator. Had never noticed that.

[edit] More specifically, the low beam indicator goes out when I turn high beams on, the fog beam indicator will remain on. The high beam indicator never comes on. Not a big deal, imo, but if somebody can find a fix, that's great.

I'm sure it involves reconnecting one or maybe two wires that were unplugged. It's got to be very simple.

Might be or may not be that simple. The gauge cluser is on CAN (controller area network). On USDM cars the DRL module takes over some functions of BIU (body integrated unit) on JDM/EDM cars. Clearly DRL, at least on 05-06, looked like an add-on hack to an existing design.

ok, a few things happened after i did the DRL mod. first, the DRL's are turned off (which i wanted to happen, of course), then i find out the high beam indicator doesn't work, but the high beams themselves work perfectly fine, and as i was driving home FROM school, i find the cruise control indicator is blinking, and the check engine light is on.

now what i'm thinking is that i accidentally knocked a wire loose down there, which would explain both indicators lighting up/blinking, or i just need an oil change, which would explain the check engine light. but i still can't figure out what the problem is about the cruise control light blinking.

help. please. i'm going nuts.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

as i was driving home FROM school, i find the cruise control indicator is blinking, and the check engine light is on.

now what i'm thinking is that i accidentally knocked a wire loose down there, which would explain both indicators lighting up/blinking... but i still can't figure out what the problem is about the cruise control light blinking.

help. please. i'm going nuts.

Did this ever get sorted out? I did the DRL mod (I've got a 2008 OB XT), and my high beam indicator still doesn't work.

I haven't had ANY problems with the cruise or CEL after 600+ miles.

Am I really going to have to get out the wiring diagrams and figure this out myself?!

Ben

I got a CEL and flashing cruise control light before, and also unable to switch SI modes. It was becase I unpluged the MAF and turned ignition to ON position. Try resetting the ECU (unplug negative terminal, press the brake pedal a couple times, plug battery back in) then its up and running.

I got a CEL and flashing cruise control light before, and also unable to switch SI modes. It was becase I unpluged the MAF and turned ignition to ON position. Try resetting the ECU (unplug negative terminal, press the brake pedal a couple times, plug battery back in) then its up and running.

well i DID reset the ECU but didn't press the brake pedal, and it worked for a few hours. is pressing the brake pedal necessary?

if anything i already made an appointment to bring it in for an oil change on tuesday. i'll try it again tomorrow, this time pressing the brakes. will it hurt to unplug the battery if the door is left open and the lights are on?

Did this ever get sorted out? I did the DRL mod (I've got a 2008 OB XT), and my high beam indicator still doesn't work.

I haven't had ANY problems with the cruise or CEL after 600+ miles.

Am I really going to have to get out the wiring diagrams and figure this out myself?!

Ben

yea sorry about that, i made a new thread since i wasn't getting many replies in here.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75373

I did some checking in the 2008 wiring diagram... See pages WI-129-132.

Unfortunately, most of the wiring for the headlights and foglights goes through the DRL module.

Fortunately, most the stuff we want to keep working runs through the black plug (B96), because most of it's redundant.

Unplugging the white plug (B242) from the DRL module knocks out the DRL and little else, EXCEPT the hi-beam indicator.

Looking at the wiring diagram, there should be a green-red (GR) wire coming out of the white plug (position #4), running towards the instrument panel. This is for the hi-beam indicator.

There ought to be some way to find the right wire coming out of the turn signal/light switch (connector B71) and connect it directly to that green-red wire, bypassing the DRL module entirely.

I'm not sure, but it looks like the blue-white (LW) wire going into position #1 of the black plug is from the hi-beam switch. Connecting this to the aforementioned green-red wire coming out of the white plug should make the hi-beam indicator work again.

Maybe I'll crawl under the dash this weekend and see if this works...

Ben

Archived