LegacyGT.com

08 - Unplug DRL, Lose High Beam Indicator

Agnt86

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, so I just tried to do this ^^^^^^ on my lunch break, and I tried and tried, but I could not get the black/blue wire to come out of the plug. I really would prefer to get this out instead of cutting it, but maybe I'll just end up cutting it. Does it hurt anything by cutting the wire, compared to just popping it out of the plug?

That is because the top of the plug slides to unlock, there are two locking mechanisms to the plug. I ended up cutting it as well, and then I found out through here about the sliding part! DUH!

X

---

haha, yeah, obviously something must be different since I cannot get my fogs or high beams to even turn on. I guess I'm just going to have to get back in there tomorrow and plug back in the DRL plug and hope everything goes back the way it was before. In the meantime, I will ask around to see if anyone with an 07 has done this, and what exactly they did. My low beam and high beam headlight bulbs are coming in tomorrow, and that's kinda why I wanted to get this mod done and working correctly.

I'm having same problem w/ my newly installed mcculloch HID's. I will try to figure out how to get the fogs and Higbeams to work again, if you beat me to it, please share. Thanks!!

P.S.- I've owned an 05 prior, and the headlight housing on the 08 model is definitely better.

• 2 weeks later...
Been real busy at work, so this holiday season got some time to look at it. It seems the red wire is the power wire, so it needs to go back in. After getting it wired up, I now have everything working back in order per factory settings....well plus the HID'S of course! Happy new year to all........

• 1 month later...
Done! Never mind the above posts. The easiest (least sloppy) way to do this is to connect the fat red and skinny green-red wires in the white plug.

Once you've unplugged the white plug, simply join those two wires. You do NOT need to plug the white plug back in. Now the hi-beam indicator works again.

I just wanted to post to confirm that this works. Instead of cutting and splicing the wires, I connected them via the plug.

I basically made a small patch cable that went from the fat red plug hole and put it into the skinny green-red hole. This way, if I need to bring the vehicle in for service or anything else, the mod is easily reversible.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry guys but I've looked through all the post about DRL and I just don't know where this DRL plug is. Do I get to it from inside the car? Is it below the inside fuse box drivers side? I have an 08 LGT. Thanks for your help.

***EDIT***

I found it! This page really helped me. The last person posting has the step by step.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42292&page=2&highlight=2007+DRL

DRL is off for me.

• 1 month later...
For all whos cutting the wiresfor the DRL. my cousin from Santa Cruz just told me that a subaru dealer there was being a itch about the wire being cut. saying it caused a CEL or electrical problem to his car. Though he thinks it can be because of his stereo system. but the techs there said he cut the wire and now they cant warranty him. so he pretty pissed off. i laugh, but i told him he should of just waited forme to come and disconnect it. =) so just a heads up because i know some Subaru dealers are pretty cool about it.

well, cutting is always the easiest, but if you wanna make sure (if your dealer is an ass) your safe in any way, then unplug the wire only and its quite easy. so in the future if you plan on selling or trading, you can just plug it back in like you never even notice or touched about the DRL plug.

Do I just need a pliers to get it out or anything special?

well, heres the walk through i used and got it out pretty easily. some people had a hard time getting it off, and i think its because the lack of work room it had under the driver side. but i think its fairly easy. try it out.. by the way, i hope the 3.0R are the same us our 07 LGT.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=67

It's funny seeing how the DRL's have evolved from the '05's. I'm curious to the guys doing this mod though, what's the point? Are your high beam bulbs blowing out that quickly like our low beams were?

Seems to me that if you're doing a HID retro, DRL's wouldn't be that big of a deal to leave alone.

DRL's are lame and make the car look stupid IMO. I don't need running lights during the middle of the day while I'm driving. To each his own I say though. I have HID's and I just want lights on when it's dark.

I dont mind my DRL on my 08' I got some old hiper white bulbs from 2001 that I am using in the LGT. Im tempted to just put a yellow 3000k color hibeam bulb on. I got HIDs in my lows and fogs.

Archived