LegacyGT.com

08 - Unplug DRL, Lose High Beam Indicator

Agnt86

I've been doing some more checking...

I looked at the 2005 wiring diagrams, I mean, the 2005 vacation pix (thanks Lee!) because I want to do the fog light mod, but I'm not sure if it'll work on my 2008.

Anyway, the 2005s connected the hi-beam indicator to the same wire that went to the high beam circuits in the headlights (the red wire, #3, in the black plug). Connecting this to the green-red wire (#4 in the white plug) should make the indicator work again.

I'll check this tomorrow and post whether it works,

Ben

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Done! Never mind the above posts. The easiest (least sloppy) way to do this is to connect the fat red and skinny green-red wires in the white plug.

Once you've unplugged the white plug, simply join those two wires. You do NOT need to plug the white plug back in. Now the hi-beam indicator works again.

BTW, as anybody figured out how to do the fog light mod for MY2008s? I tried the standard fixes, and they didn't work.

Ben

Tatunka,

Do you have a 2008? Do you have the white plug unplugged from the DRL module?

I'm trying to figure out why this didn't work when I did it...

BTW, Deer Killer has posted a way to make the fog lights stay on with the high beams (that didn't work for my 2008, either).

Ben

2008? Yes

White Plug Out? I used to but then I cut the blue with black stripe(to get high beam indicator back) and put it back in.

Fog Mod. I did this before I unhooked DRL and it worked fine, unpluged the white plug and it still worked, cut the blue w/black stripe and reinstalled the white plug and still works. Maybe you missed a step? or maybe it has something to do with the red wire you spliced? I did it exactly as was told and it worked so......?

High+Fog. My opinion is that when are using high beams you are not in a foggy situation, so why have the fogs on? Just my opinion, but thanks for the link.

I just thought of something, in this picture where it says "connect new wire here", on a 08 there are wires that are connected to fuses under this wire. This confused me for a minute but I found the right wire. I guess make sure you cut the right wires.

http://www.moojohn.com/subaru/fogmod1.jpg

Done! Never mind the above posts. The easiest (least sloppy) way to do this is to connect the fat red and skinny green-red wires in the white plug.

Once you've unplugged the white plug, simply join those two wires. You do NOT need to plug the white plug back in. Now the hi-beam indicator works again.

BTW, as anybody figured out how to do the fog light mod for MY2008s? I tried the standard fixes, and they didn't work.

Ben

I'm sorry but are there any pictures around for this? How did you join the two wires together. This is the first mod I'm going to do once I take delivery of my non-exisistent car...for now.. lol so I don't really have wires to exactly look at.

I'm sorry but are there any pictures around for this? How did you join the two wires together?

1. Pictures. Look at:

http://www.moojohn.com/subaru/fogmod.html

Do a search for "fog light mod." Deer Killer has posted pictures of the wiring.

2. Go to Radio Shack or Harbor Freight or Target or a hardware store or wherever and get a collection of connectors ($10?) and a wire stripper ($10?). You might buy a couple spools of different colored 16 or 18 gauge wire, too ($2 each?).

The connectors are pretty intuitive. Some are for connecting two end-wires, some are connecting one ending wire to a continuous wire, some are to create male or female "plugs" so you can easily disconnect your work later. Practice stripping and connecting bits of wire to each other before working on your car, if you're really nervous. It's actually quite easy.

Ben

Okay, I just tried to do the DRL disable mod and I used this process >>>>>>>>> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ight=plug+play

I unplugged the whole white DRL plug and the DRL are off, but my fogs will not turn on, and I tried to turn my High beams on, and they won't even come on. My low beams come on fine after I manually turn them on. I did it exactly how it said, wondering why my car is having these problems. Why are my fogs and highs not working? Need help ASAP if anyone knows, it's pissing me off. Thanks in advance!

haha, yeah, obviously something must be different since I cannot get my fogs or high beams to even turn on. I guess I'm just going to have to get back in there tomorrow and plug back in the DRL plug and hope everything goes back the way it was before. In the meantime, I will ask around to see if anyone with an 07 has done this, and what exactly they did. My low beam and high beam headlight bulbs are coming in tomorrow, and that's kinda why I wanted to get this mod done and working correctly.

Okay, so the above link may not work, but it's the same link from 'whobaru' on the first page of this thread, post #12. By the way, I am not doing the HID's, I just used the DRL disable part. Need help, thanks!

The 07 is wired different (as far as the DRL's go) from the 05-06 models IIRC, that being said I was told to cut the blue w/black wire (for 08's too) and put the white plug back in. This worked for my 08, if you are concerned cut the wire long enough back to be able to connect it agian, but I think that will work for you.

The 07 is wired different (as far as the DRL's go) from the 05-06 models IIRC, that being said I was told to cut the blue w/black wire (for 08's too) and put the white plug back in. This worked for my 08, if you are concerned cut the wire long enough back to be able to connect it agian, but I think that will work for you.

This worked for me, too. If you just cut the blue/black wire (and don't remove a section of it), then you'll always have enough wire to reconnect it.

You might check fuses, plugs, etc., too. Did you do anything else at the same time?

Ben

This worked for me, too. If you just cut the blue/black wire (and don't remove a section of it), then you'll always have enough wire to reconnect it.

You might check fuses, plugs, etc., too. Did you do anything else at the same time?

Ben

Okay, so I just leave the plug plugged in and all I do is cut the black/blue wire? After you cut the wire, do I just tape off both ends? No I didn't do anything else, I was just trying to disable the DRL's. I will try this tonite and hope it works. Thanks guys!

try this link.

this helped me out. i had the same problem. =)

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=67

Okay, so I just tried to do this ^^^^^^ on my lunch break, and I tried and tried, but I could not get the black/blue wire to come out of the plug. I really would prefer to get this out instead of cutting it, but maybe I'll just end up cutting it. Does it hurt anything by cutting the wire, compared to just popping it out of the plug?

Archived