LegacyGT.com

Mobil 93 Good Shell V Power Not So Good

I have 14K on my 07 Spec. B. and have always used Mobil 93. I average 27 mpg. A week ago while driving in Rochester New Hamsphire I decided to stop at a Shell station that usually has the lowest prices around and fill up with V Power MISTAKE ! Upon finishing my fill up I noticed a small sticker on the pump saying This gas may contain up to 10% ethenol BIG MISTAKE ! After gassing up yesterday at my Mobil station my mpg was down to 25.2.

Now I know some of you will say that I drove on different roads than usual or more agressive WRONG. I am a freaken car nut that is one with the car I drive. From my 64 blueprinted 421 HO Bonniville to 15 cars later my 07 Spec. B. I know if any of my cars hic-cuped, squeaked, moaned or farted and found out why without delay. I say that ethenol produces less power than gas and thats why my mileage is down. What say you.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's because ethanol does have less energy than gasoline and that's why you get worse gas mileage. This is common knowledge (well maybe not that common).

Its not a secret. The point of ethanol (according to the moron proponents of it) is that it is a replacement for fossil fuels. The result is worse gas mileage and skyrocketing grain costs.

I still cannot believe 27 mpg on LGT. Must be 65 mph driving and never in boost.

18" wheels with the 6mt makes 27mpg quite doable.

On my 06 w/ the 5mt and winter gas, my OEM read out is still at 26.7mpg (though I fully expect that to drop over the next few months). Was at 27.3 for most of the summer.

You're not getting 26.7 in this kind of driving. Go away.

Yep. I am.

However, I'm often constrained on my inbound commute by friggin' Chicago traffic where I short shift and don't fall in love with the bumper in front of me. I do make good and frequent use of the turbo but I'm smart about it or at least try to be. I also use the CC and maintain a steady speed somewhere between 70-75 picking a different constant speed daily just to vary the cruising RPM.

I say that ethenol produces less power than gas and thats why my mileage is down. What say you.
I say ethanol is spelled with one 'e' and that you're wrong about why your fuel economy decreased.

Your fuel economy went down because ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline. This does not imply that your engine produces less power using ethanol than it would using gasoline. In fact, the opposite is true. This is because ethanol's stoichiometric A/F ratio is significantly lower than gasoline's. When comparing specific energy content (i.e. energy per gallon adjusted for stoichiometric A/F ratio), ethanol comes out ahead.

^ I sure am. If I can remember to, I'll take a picture of the OEM info system log for you. You just have to be smart about using the turbo. If there are 5 cars stopped in your lane at the 4-way stop a 1/4 mile away from you, there is no need to go to 4k rpm in second gear just so you can sit behind cars and wear out your clutch waiting for your turn to go. Short shift and "idle" up there timing it out so that you remain in motion as long as possible. Same thing with lights.

;1495853']I say ethanol is spelled with one 'e' and that you're wrong about why your fuel economy decreased.

Your fuel economy went down because ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline. This does not imply that your engine produces less power using ethanol than it would using gasoline. In fact, the opposite is true. This is because ethanol's stoichiometric A/F ratio is significantly lower than gasoline's. When comparing specific energy content (i.e. energy per gallon adjusted for stoichiometric A/F ratio), ethanol comes out ahead.

Ethanol contains about 1/3 less BTUs than straight gas. You have to use more it the get the same bang.

The results folks are getting with E85 and FI are amazing, especially when it comes to torque numbers. For example, somebody with a stock td04 turbo on a WRX producing 347 lbs-ft at the wheels. Kinda wish they offered it around here.

That's because it's very high octane. Still your paying lots of $$$ for the amount of energy you're getting out of it.

Archived