LegacyGT.com

Mobil 93 Good Shell V Power Not So Good

I believe I am at 7300 miles now

I use conventional oil and have no aftermarket mods.

The only mods I have so far is an AVO drop filter and a STI STS. These were installed after that trip. Do you use the Sport # mode. I use it all the time ( except when the roads are icy and snowey ). I find it most satisfying since you just need to touch the gas pedal so gently to handle most driving situations.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your right you have to be intelligent about how you drive to maximize your gas milage so when you do want to have some fun you can still get good overall mileage. My 07 has an MPG gauge that reads + or - and I have educated my right foot to keep it on the + side most of the time even while going up hill. By the way since I live in Maine whats a stop light ? Just kidding.

More info is always better. I can read my info system displays now and accomplish a similar result but the +/- thingy - which the 06 doesn't have - seems like it could only be a good thing.

I still haven't got a complete handle on the algorithms Subaru uses for fuel consumption, throttle %, etc. but I'm getting the jist.

How many miles on your car? On one of my rare highway trips I covered 414 miles and when filled up it took 13.9 gal. which equals 29.7 mpg. This left approx. 3 gals left in the tank. I kept it under 80 and had about 5000 miles on the car during that trip and I use Mobil 1 and I ran in Sport # all the way.

The Spec/Lgt has a 16 gallon tank.

This has been debated to death. I also get 27 - 28 MPG average highway cruising at 70 - 75 consistently. This is with spirited passing/acceleration bursts in boost. Sorry dude. It's just the facts :).

And Vimy, 18" wheels has little to do with the equation technically. It's more a matter of overall tire diameter/circumference among many other things ;)

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

And Vimy, 18" wheels has little to do with the equation technically. It's more a matter of overall tire diameter/circumference among many other things ;)

Right. !8" is larger than 17". Technically closer to 5% larger OEM Spec.B to OEM LGT.

;)

:cool:

This has been debated to death. I also get 27 - 28 MPG average highway cruising at 70 - 75 consistently. This is with spirited passing/acceleration bursts in boost. Sorry dude. It's just the facts :).

You're claiming numbers higher than advertised. One "spirited" pass can pretty much ruin your MPG per tank of gas.. Unless you're just not that spirited, i.e. open loop.

^ With the Info system, it's very testing on the motor to get the "accelerator" guage to 100%. By the time you've hit 50-60%, most of the torque is gone. You're still pulling but down shift if you can.

The OEM Spec.B info sytem accelerator gauge is solid bars until 50% and after that it's demarkated in individual pips. The butt dyno says more pips less torque. You're still pulling but not nearly as hard.

You're claiming numbers higher than advertised. One "spirited" pass can pretty much ruin your MPG per tank of gas.. Unless you're just not that spirited, i.e. open loop.

You can argue all you want. I drive the car every day and am telling you for a fact that I do get that mileage without cruise control and without grandma driving. Just normal highway cruising not aggressive driving. You can disbelieve if you choose - what I'm saying is fact in my case. Many others here can make the same mileage claims.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Ethanol: 75,700 BTU/gallon

Gas: 115,000 BTU/gallon

1 gallon of ethanol has 65% of the energy as one gallon of gas.

14.7 parts air to 1 part gas: 6.37% fuel charge at a energy mass density of 100%

9 parts air to 1 part ethanol: 10% fuel charge at a energy mass density of 61.51% of gas

so total energy of 1 combustion at stoich:

gas: 6.37%

ethanol: 6.151%

Do you see any discrepancies? Maybe you should argue with Kevin Owen and Trevor Coley, authors of the Automotive Fuels Reference Book. Here's some info taken from the 2nd edition of that book, from the chapter on racing fuels.

http://i2.tinypic.com/823ye4l.gif

The bottom line for cars equipped with an exhaust gas oxygen sensor is that replacing 10% of typical gasoline with ethanol results in a very slight improvement in engine power and a small (~2%) drop in fuel economy.

;1496002']I'm pretty sure you're wrong. The Energy Policy Act of 2005 removed the oxygenate requirement from the RFG (Re-Formulated Gasoline) program.

I guess we are both half right. The 2% oxygen (5.7% ethanol) requirement for the RFG is removed, but there is a new requirement to triple the use of biofuel (mostly ethanol) mixed with gasoline by 2012. The end result is nearly a third of current U.S. gasoline sold contains up to 10% ethanol. I guess more gasoline sold will have to be 10% ethanol in order to meet the mandate by 2012.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/ethanol_blends.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_2005

I was able to squeeze 26 MPG on a trip to Deep Creek MD with the wife, baby, stuff in the back, Thule roof rack with 2 mountain bikes. Also this is on 18" wheels with a speedo calibrated for 17". I am assuming that without all the load, the drag of the 2 bikes and X-bars, and using stock wheels, I could have probably hit 27MPG.

This was on Shell V Power on 5th gear doing 65-75 mph 95% of the time.

The octane requirement for Legacy GTs is 91 RON. Many areas (like California) do not have 93 RON available. If your car is stock, there is no reason to use 93 RON.

Further, as altitude increases, the octane requirement for an engine decreases by 1 - 2 octane per 3,000 ft. Naturally, turbochargers mitigate the effect of altitude, so that formula doesn't strictly apply.

Here in Cody,Wyoming (5,016 ft.) we have 85.5, 87, and 91 RON.

By the way: 28.2 MPG Lie-O-Meter average from Cody, though Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, to Jackson, Wyoming and back. Temps around 38 degrees, 2005 LGT 5EAT, 3 people in the car, multiple photo stops and speeds of 45 MPH through the parks - 60-70MPH outside.

28.2 MPG Lie-O-Meter = 27 Real MPG

http://stg.home.bresnan.net/051_filtered.jpg

Wastegate/boost targets zero'd out, cruise set at 70, reset trip meter after merging on the highway 26.4 MPG. Why anyone would drive like this is beyond me.. ugh. Buy a prius. At least your injectors won't be all clogged up if you ever feel like driving the car like it's meant to be.

The MPG reading is an inverse fun meter.

Wastegate/boost targets zero'd out, cruise set at 70, reset trip meter after merging on the highway 26.4 MPG. Why anyone would drive like this is beyond me.. ugh. Buy a prius. At least your injectors won't be all clogged up if you ever feel like driving the car like it's meant to be.

The MPG reading is an inverse fun meter.

+1 .. And there is the essence of the real argument... why buy a turbo in the first place, if you drive like you have an egg between you and the pedals..

The octane requirement for Legacy GTs is 91 RON. Many areas (like California) do not have 93 RON available. If your car is stock, there is no reason to use 93 RON.

Further, as altitude increases, the octane requirement for an engine decreases by 1 - 2 octane per 3,000 ft. Naturally, turbochargers mitigate the effect of altitude, so that formula doesn't strictly apply.

Here in Cody,Wyoming (5,016 ft.) we have 85.5, 87, and 91 RON.

Um, 91 RON is called regular gas in most parts of the country and that's not what Subaru recommends in the US. Out here in CT, nearly every gas station sells gas that's at least 97 RON. You have really crappy gas in WY.

Archived