LegacyGT.com

How will my 5EAT hold up at this rate...

mustang killer

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
see the thing with you MK, is that you're always asking about what you should do. we tell you what you should do and how to keep your tranny alive, but you never listen anyways. so just do what you want to do and when you actually do get around to fixing your car up than, cool. until then, we'll just wait and see what you actually do in the end. :lol:

i didnt ask whether i should do the VB upgrade or not because i already know the answer to that. all i asked is how the tranny will hold up with my situation, implying that i dont plan on doing the VB upgrade until later

no one can say it's 1K, 8K, 30K for you. fact is those are big #s you're looking at; one can only say for sure that at those levels, the stock unit's days of cooperative duty are numbered -- and it may retire with or without warning. imho, the question of "how long" comes down more to driver style than individual trans tolerances: if you're the type to get on it with some frequency, it may be wise to cautiously factor that you have less miles to go than someone who doesn't -- i could be wrong.

however, enough pioneers have explored the limits to give a fairly clear view of the boundaries, and what equipment is required to safely negotiate up to and beyond them. if you were told to bring a tank of oxygen by someone who climbed a mountain you were setting out to scale, would you have someone drop it up there where you estimate you might need it, or carry it with you?

bottom line is even if we all think you'll make it to 8K, with every mile you'll be effecting a multi-thousand-$ gamble with your beloved and relied upon DD, with far worse odds than you could have outfitted yourself with. i don't want to be debbie downer, i can just imagine what i'd feel like if i lost my DD by going an inch too far with power appetite (especially if i could have prevented it), and i'd hate to see that happen to you. if you told us you had another ride to work and 10K$ to burn, i'd want to see even more than what you're planning now ;)

i do wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide, MK :)

i didnt ask whether i should do the VB upgrade or not because i already know the answer to that. all i asked is how the tranny will hold up with my situation, implying that i dont plan on doing the VB upgrade until later

well i'd hope not since you've asked (i lost track how many times). i should just do a search and look up all your threads about you asking the same questions for the last year. just go do what your gonna do and them come tell us about it. you got the turbo, you have most of the supporting mods. now quit TALKING AND JUST GO DO IT ALREADY!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

well i'd hope not since you've asked (i lost track how many times). i should just do a search and look up all your threads about you asking the same questions for the last year. just go do what your gonna do and them come tell us about it. you got the turbo, you have most of the supporting mods. now quit TALKING AND JUST GO DO IT ALREADY!

easier said then done. this is costing me a fortune. and when u know nothing as i do, it important to ask questions.

LOL. but there comes a point where you just have to go and do it, quit asking and talking. you have the info, you have the parts. and costing a small fortune, again: YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY. if you don't want to, then you just can't play. seriously, you have to expect the very worst to happen and be prepared for it. if you're not, and it does happen, then well.... your DD will be sitting on blocks. LOL.

c'mon, you know what happened to me last Jan when I did my swap. First the map was bad and the car quit running. I got it limping along by switching back to my stg 2 map as a temp solution until PDX got me new maps. Then my gears started slipping and I had to do some quick mad research on what it could be other than replacing the tranny. Turns out it was the VB (probably from beating and launching the car the previous track season). Then I had the VB sent off to IPT, rented a lame ass Ford Taurus for a week, and spent another $1200. Had I known that I needed to do the VB or that there was a very very good chance I would, I'd have not done the turbo install until after I had all the money and time set aside to get it done. That would have saved me a lot of time, money and grief of spending more money just trying to figure out what was wrong with the car in the first place. I then spent even more money on the tuning in early May when we had Jarrad come up. Then drove all the way down to PDX/SEATAC at the end of May and had it dyno-tuned. So again, expect the worst, then hope for the best. ;) maybe you'll be fine for 6-8 months after your install, or maybe not. just be prepared.

hmm I think my 5th gear is slipping. WHen I am in fifth on the highway and get a little on the throttle (smoothly) , my revs kinda jump up to 3k, but does not downshift. :/

You are probably fine. The problem only occurred for me (and I believe others too) during heavy throttle shifts (for me 3-4 and 4-5). It started with me on 4-5 shifts on the freeway under WOT, RPM spike almost to redline with no acceleration, I would let off the gas and it would engage. I never had any problem with stage-2 power although it was a 91 oct tune.

My problems began when I went with the 20g, got the VB upgrade and all is good now. In fact much better than stock, performance wise. If I could do it all over again, I would have got the VB first as to avoid an unecessary wear to my transmission.

Mines holding up just fine right now. with the VB upgrade It seems to shift faster as time goes by. I do get soem hard "clunks" once in a while downshifting to 1st gear during 5mph.

Sounds good, I am looking into a 20g, possibly larger this summer :)

Are you heading to the track anytime soon?

• 1 month later...
also, Tariq has an FP green 3" inlet and he doesnt have the VB upgrade and he had over 50k miles

I don't know who told you that bunch of BS...!!! :mad:

My car right now has 37,xxx miles on it, not OVER 50Kmiles... it's in my driveway right now...

Yes i did have the FP Green & a few other things done, and no tranny mods or slippage, but I do have the Hayden Tranny Cooler on the 5EAT Tranny :rolleyes:

Don't put me in your lies !!!

***** Thanks to Mikeyan & Infamous1 for stating that i don't have over 50k miles on my LGT...:) ******

Tariq

I don't know who told you that bunch of BS...!!! :mad:

My car right now has 37,xxx miles on it, not OVER 50Kmiles... it's in my driveway right now...

Yes i did have the FP Green & a few other things done, and no tranny mods or slippage, but I do have the Hayden Tranny Cooler on the 5EAT Tranny :rolleyes:

Don't put me in your lies !!!

***** Thanks to Mikeyan & Infamous1 for stating that i don't have over 50k miles on my LGT...:) ******

Tariq

The many.

Eventually everyone will know.

Lies are like that..........

On topic:

At 58k, after 40k of Stg2, I completed my AVO380 install. One month later, tune 80% complete, BAD 5EAT. Up until the time it went there were no symptoms. One day slipping in 5th, next day...... done.

Hayden cooler. ATF changed every 10k.

Make a lot of bhp and the 5EAT will fail. Wheel horsepower and torque are not the issue, the transmission is connected to the CRANK. Those who have been "saved" by BG additives and VB upgrade simply have not either generated large enough chp, or used it.

As more people with 5EATs have significant power upgrades the question of "how long will my 5EAT hold up" will not be asked anymore. Like other envelopes, such as turbos and blocks, the 5EAT is finite in capability. Your 5EAT will break sooner with more, later with less.

+1 Seeeya.

I've been planning for my 5eat to fail at some point, not hoping it won't. Is the valve body helping? I have no doubt. Will it allow the tranny to last forever, I don't think that.

Is it a good precaution? i think so, but prepare for the worst when making big power on the 5eat.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

The many.

On topic:

At 58k, after 40k of Stg2, I completed my AVO380 install. One month later, tune 80% complete, BAD 5EAT. Up until the time it went there were no symptoms. One day slipping in 5th, next day...... done.

Make a lot of bhp and the 5EAT will fail. Wheel horsepower and torque are not the issue, the transmission is connected to the CRANK. Those who have been "saved" by BG additives and VB upgrade simply have not either generated large enough chp, or used it.

As more people with 5EATs have significant power upgrades the question of "how long will my 5EAT hold up" will not be asked anymore. Like other envelopes, such as turbos and blocks, the 5EAT is finite in capability. Your 5EAT will break sooner with more, later with less.

I think it really has to do with babying your car. I really think if the transmission is babied 90% of the time on stage 2 mods the car and transmission would last far longer then people give it credit for.

Luck probably plays a reason too

:rolleyes:

I think it really has to do with babying your car. I really think if the transmission is babied 90% of the time on stage 2 mods the car and transmission would last far longer then people give it credit for.

Luck probably plays a reason too

:rolleyes:

no, i don't really agree with that. I had stg 2 on my car for less than a year and after I went to STI swap, the slippage was almost immediate. :( I believe our 5EAT's just aren't made to handle all the power and torque, no matter if you are just stg 2 or stg 3+ power. Eventually, it will go. I hope mine will last for another year or so, but who knows. I am aware that I have put it through a lot and will not be tracking the car much, if any, this year. The new owner also understands this and is preparing for it to go out. If that happens, he'll plan to swap a 5MT into the car. For now, it's doing well and holding up even after a full year of abuse. VB and tranny cooler won't save the transmission, however, I do believe it will help prolong it's life as well as get you more power to the ground.

The many.

On topic:

Can you provide more info on your experience? Did you have the VB upgrade? If so, for how long? Can you provide more info on the damage caused? What are you runnning now engine and transmission wise?

I think most understand modding the car will cause more wear and tear and if pushed to far, failure of parts. A better understanding of the limits, such as your experience, will help others make informed choices.

His comments on the VB gave me the impression he had some experience with it.

It would be nice to know if it was just the clutch packs that went or if there was a more catastrophic failure. Also, is he running a built tranny now or not?

Can you provide more info on your experience? Did you have the VB upgrade? If so, for how long? Can you provide more info on the damage caused? What are you runnning now engine and transmission wise?

I think most understand modding the car will cause more wear and tear and if pushed to far, failure of parts. A better understanding of the limits, such as your experience, will help others make informed choices.

Update soon. And I agree with your summation, which is why I post. My own experiences and upgrades are spread throughtout the forums.

This much is certain, the 5EAT is finite. The exact limitations that are unfolding reveal it is not as strong as we all thought it was in the beginning. Right now I believe a good rule of thumb is this, you will need a VB upgrade for moderate top-o-the-line Stg2 and a fully built tranny if you want reliability with a serious turbo upgrade. This is all predicated on unrestricted, run it like you stole it, use, which to me is what this is all about. Why, oh why, install s... stuff you cannot use when you want, as you want.

In short, after 400chp count on getting a built 5EAT, sooner or later.

I say 'update soon' because my 5EAT is still at IPT. Although I have a preliminary diagnosis that specified burnt clutchs the full report has not been revealed. When I know I'll let people know. It is important that people know what awaits certain actions.

In addition to the built 5EAT IPT is rebuilding my TC to similar specs, i.e., new parts, furnace brazing, higher stall speed, etc. Meanwhile, the in-radiator and external Hayden coolers and lines are being flushed, then a new filter installed. Amsoil ATF is going in as well as Amsoil in the front diff.

While I wait little things are being addressed... like the ground on my headers, filling the rear LCA forward bushings with 3M WS poly, some map tweaking, etc. Not to mention a LOT of introspection :).

Update soon. And I agree with your summation, which is why I post. My own experiences and upgrades are spread throughtout the forums.

This much is certain, the 5EAT is finite. The exact limitations that are unfolding reveal it is not as strong as we all thought it was in the beginning. Right now I believe a good rule of thumb is this, you will need a VB upgrade for moderate top-o-the-line Stg2 and a fully built tranny if you want reliability with a serious turbo upgrade. This is all predicated on unrestricted, run it like you stole it, use, which to me is what this is all about. Why, oh why, install s... stuff you cannot use when you want, as you want.

In short, after 400chp count on getting a built 5EAT, sooner or later.

I say 'update soon' because my 5EAT is still at IPT. Although I have a preliminary diagnosis that specified burnt clutchs the full report has not been revealed. When I know I'll let people know. It is important that people know what awaits certain actions.

In addition to the built 5EAT IPT is rebuilding my TC to similar specs, i.e., new parts, furnace brazing, higher stall speed, etc. Meanwhile, the in-radiator and external Hayden coolers and lines are being flushed, then a new filter installed. Amsoil ATF is going in as well as Amsoil in the front diff.

While I wait little things are being addressed... like the ground on my headers, filling the rear LCA forward bushings with 3M WS poly, some map tweaking, etc. Not to mention a LOT of introspection :).

suxors...i was looking at the avo 380 and 420 when i notice you have a 380 installed. last thing i would want to do is upgrade the tranny heavily after a modest turbo system upgrade. might as well just buy a better car for the same money in comparison.

Archived