LegacyGT.com

5EAT Valve Body IPT Upgrade

XLeezardx

yes, already told him he needs to get on it, confirmed by IPT. GET ON IT!!!! :D

Dude, I got on it! Super fast clean shifts! Before, I would hit rev limiter, now it shifts right at 7000rpms. I need more seat time though, I was at work when I did it. Video tonite!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do they tell you you need to break it in? What is the "break in" requirements?

they never told me there was a break in period. we slapped it in, did the tranny fluids, reflashed ECU, and away we went. my tech was driving, got the car sideways down a back alley, launching the car at just about every stop possible.... :lol::D yep, could definitely tell a difference!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Dude, I got on it! Super fast clean shifts! Before, I would hit rev limiter, now it shifts right at 7000rpms. I need more seat time though, I was at work when I did it. Video tonite!

see. i told you. ;) hard to tell if you're just putzing around. however, get on it and the car will shift and move like it should!

excited for video :)

your are exactly right unclemat, I did it in a wrx with a buddy of mine, 4eat to a 5mt, not hard, just alot of little things.

And VTGT, nothing that scott seigel wouldnt be able to fix;)

I'd love to see the total cost of the swap. I have seen a few used 5mt GT tranny's go for 1300-1800. But then you gotta factor in the price of a high performance clutch to handle the sz55 :cool:

Hmm your best bet might be to purchase the parts from IPT then have your friend install them at discount :)

5eat rebuild Kit $550 (I hope this includes clutch packs)

VB Upgraded by IPT $650

TQ converter $675 (If this is even necessary)

Total= 1875 + Labor, Not bad if those are all the parts you need....

from my understanding no. in combination with having a tranny cooler, it should help prolong the life of the tranny. that's what my tech tells me and since he'll be buying the LGT from me later, I will go with what he says. he's always been right so far.

from my understanding no. in combination with having a tranny cooler, it should help prolong the life of the tranny. that's what my tech tells me and since he'll be buying the LGT from me later, I will go with what he says. he's always been right so far.

What if your clutch packs may be going, would a VB upgrade help or hurt the situation?

I could swear I saw lest time before shifts! Was it WOT??

Yup, 0-60, no launch, WOT in sport mode.

This is BS man, I cant believe I dumped $1000 on a VB work and it performs just like stock.

Heres a stock 5EAT to compare with.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCeNShCMeQs]YouTube - Subaru Legacy GT Acceleration 0 to 60 Round 2[/ame]

how long have you had the VB in? it took mine a good week before the TCU fully adjusted to it and started really shifting fast in sport mode....

(A week for me is like 600-700 miles)

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Not to be a kill joy on the whole IPT valve body job that they do with our 5EATs, but this isn't really surprising. I can see maybe a couple of ms response time difference in shifting but hardly noticeable as far as it acting like a completely different transmission.

I would say your next mod needs to be the RalliTek 5EAT tranny bushing if you don't have that yet.

Keep us in the loop. I'm interested to see what happens with this.

Also, have you tried an ECU reset?

Not to be a kill joy on the whole IPT valve body job that they do with our 5EATs, but this isn't really surprising. I can see maybe a couple of ms response time difference in shifting but hardly noticeable as far as it acting like a completely different transmission.

I would say your next mod needs to be the RalliTek 5EAT tranny bushing if you don't have that yet.

Keep us in the loop. I'm interested to see what happens with this.

Also, have you tried an ECU reset?

Are you talking about the rallitek trans mount? The race or comfort? Do you have a VB done? And how much power are you running, I am sure it is all very relative. Once I get my VB back next week, I hope I will feel a much more crisp shift in a 400whp car.

Semper Fi.

Are you talking about the rallitek trans mount? The race or comfort? Do you have a VB done? And how much power are you running, I am sure it is all very relative. Once I get my VB back next week, I hope I will feel a much more crisp shift in a 400whp car.

he doesn't have the VB upgrade and i believe running stg 1 maybe stg 2 on his 5EAT. but yes, i would think the outcome is all relative to what mods you have done and obviously those of us with slipping gears will notice a much larger difference with the VB than someone who doesn't have slippage issues yet.

Yes, the tranny bushing is a must for all 5EATs. I'm running Stage 1 at about 14.5 PSI ~ 210whp and my tranny feels buttery smooth. I'm probably not going to get the VB done because I don't think the tranny doesn't need it. Then again, I'm not going to be pushing 400whp like you might so maybe that will help you.

IMO though as far as the 5EAT goes, I would do the tranny bushing and a tranny cooler before I would do the valve body upgrade just because of the cost. Not to mention, isn't your car down while you ship that to them to upgrade anyways? Not in the cards for me since I drive it everyday.

I managed to snag a spare VB, so my downtime was ~3 hours in the afternoon i did the swap.

I need to revisit the Rallitek tranny mount bushing. The first one i got was way too big to squeeze into the tranny mount, and rallitek swapped it out for me. Turns out, shortly after exchanging it, i get an emailing saying i need to trim it a bit for the 5eat mount :/. I'll get it done in the next week or two, or at least try it again.

Also adding a second tranny cooler soon :D

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Archived