LegacyGT.com

5EAT Valve Body IPT Upgrade

XLeezardx

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mikeyan, does your car shift right away as you maunally shift? Mine takes half a second then it shifts into gear. I can feel it being a little firm goign into gear and when i decelerate on automode, I can feel it downshift firmly with a tiny jerk. Does it sound like my VB is working right?

Mikeyan, does your car shift right away as you maunally shift? Mine takes half a second then it shifts into gear. I can feel it being a little firm goign into gear and when i decelerate on automode, I can feel it downshift firmly with a tiny jerk. Does it sound like my VB is working right?

It takes a little bit of time, but it got better over time. Not instant manual shifts at all. In sport it is a different story for me though.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Alrighty thanks AKLGT, Im going to practice launching and shifting points. Then proceed to the 1/4 track. =)

if part of the problem is what i think it is, you just gotta make sure you shift early in 1st since the turbo hits hard and fast. i know when i get my 60' down in the 1.7's I've got to manual shift about 5500 rpms so by the time it does shift, it's about 6700-7000 rpms and i don't hit the limiter. if i wait too long than bam! hit the limiter and my time sucks.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Update: Im back to stock pretty much (stage 1) but I still have my VB and pulley in. I dont hit the rev limiter anymore with stock boost lol. I still think till this day my VB isnt doing what everyones describes. And My gears NEVER slipped even when I had the 20G on stock VB. I think I may just attemp to remove it myself and send it into IPT for an adjustment. I still want the kick in the pants for that $1000 i spent.

Not saying anything by about Ty, but he was a sales rep. To modify a VB and tune a VB is not a easy task. Will require to drop tranny pan and VB many times to get it right.

Not sure if Acooper5 send in his VB or drop off his LGT to John.

Yes, AKLGT is the lucky one. :(

IPT got it right the first time for me too. 8K+ miles on it right now and still working great.

After dozens of logging runs my IPT 5EAT is doing great. :) Part of the rebuild, of course, was modifying the VB. The rest of the transmission is just beefed up to handle more of whatever it did before. So it is the VB modifications that actually changes performance.

Shift points are clean, precise, and occur at the same RPM every time, but slightly modified an insignificant 50rpm or so by temperature which affects engine output. It isn't like a CVT, you know when it upshifts and when it downshifts. Full throttle upshifts from first to second are at 7k, second to third, etc. are 6950ish. This coincides with my turbo's powerband and is what I would have specified if I could have done that.

Other than this it behaves essentiall like stock, so anyone looking for a VB upgrade to significantly alter their performance, like a turbo for example, will be disappointed. It isn't for that, it is to enable the transmission to do what it normally does, only precisely, and providing increased pressures on clutches to prevent damaging slippage and wear related failure.

So AKLGT is certainly fortunate in a few ways, to have beaten her car :) like she has and have no problems. But as far as VB upgrades go I couldn't be happier either. I'm also relatively certain that most people who have one feel the same way.

The transmission is a synergistic part of the powertrain, and as such will act differently with different drivers and different engines, meaning engines modified different ways. Some people have stayed with Subaru fluid and some have gone with synthetic. FWIW, AmsOil's Subaru compatible formula has only been available for a few months. There are, therefore, a variety of combinations out there that have no quantification, making comparisons difficult.

Add to the confusion the people who interject personal opinions without personal experience, and recount secondhand details that are wrong, and you have a messy playing field.

Anyone who wants or needs transmission work should talk to the horse's mouth, John at IPT. And there are a few members on this forum to ask directly via PM as well. Just sitting around and gossiping over he said she said stuff gets no one any where, although that is what it seems these forums are best at.:lol:

yep, no issues with my VB mod. Still running great and everyone is convinced it is what saves this car (and the cooler temps here and a very anal husband who watches the maintenance of the car).

• 7 months later...
Update: Im back to stock pretty much (stage 1) but I still have my VB and pulley in. I dont hit the rev limiter anymore with stock boost lol. I still think till this day my VB isnt doing what everyones describes. And My gears NEVER slipped even when I had the 20G on stock VB. I think I may just attemp to remove it myself and send it into IPT for an adjustment. I still want the kick in the pants for that $1000 i spent.

Anything new or resolved with this?

is there a way of geting in to the transmission control module ? there must be maps in there for engine load contoling the tranny pressure ?

i'm gonna modify my own valve body i have experence with the electronic on my sunbird and my camaro .. when i do i will post a how to and results ..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

and if you guys are not having great results from valve body mods its probable becasue the computer measures the time to shift and adjsut the pressure acordingly .. if you want rock hard shifts you could cut and put a switch on the pressure control sol wire ..

witch is why i asked in the previous post about getting in to the trans mission control module .. it should have maps for the time to shift at each throttle load.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

is there a way of geting in to the transmission control module ? there must be maps in there for engine load contoling the tranny pressure ?

i'm gonna modify my own valve body i have experence with the electronic on my sunbird and my camaro .. when i do i will post a how to and results ..

good luck and let us know what happens.

Archived