LegacyGT.com

5EAT Valve Body IPT Upgrade

XLeezardx

My IPT VB is being put in right now! After my Veteran's Day luncheon I pick her up...I cant wait! To bad it is raining :( Any words from the wise as far as anything I need to do?

I am still hoping a VB is all I needed to fix my slipping!

well, get a few miles on her, and test it out. ;)

i know we could tell pretty much instantly it fixed my slippage issues. you won't be able to tell much under normal driving conditions, however get on it a little and that will give a hint. it will really shine thru once you are ON it.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
umm, just drove 20 miles back for the shop. ALL the shifts particularly the downshift from 1st to 2nd is very very firm, the whole car takes a hit...dont know if it is suppose to do that. Umm I dont know.

Bring it back to John, have him re-adjust your VB. Make sure you take test drive it when he is done.

How is your neck, :lol::)

Bring it back to John, have him re-adjust your VB. Make sure you take test drive it when he is done.

How is your neck, :lol::)

LMAO.

how hard does it hit??

i can feel mine shift, but it's not any worse than riding around on coilovers! LOL.

AKLGT,

Thats something I had deal with for sometime, till John got it right.

Acooper5,

This occurs on stop and go traffic or slow moving traffic?

I'll bet your 5EAT will shift firmer (no neck breaking or hard hits) if you let the tranny shift at higher rpm.

hey guys thanks for the replies. It shifts a little rough under little to partial trottle and when slowing down to a stop the downshift from 2nd to 1st is hard, harder then a normal 5EAT. HOWEVER, I did get on it a little bit tonight at least into 4th gear and those shifts under load are like BUTTER!!! the car holds all the way through no studder nothing...amazing.

I called John at IPT about the normal driving shifts and he said most likely the car just needs to "learn its shift points" in the next 100 or so miles.

Again, I am not tranny expert in fact that is the ONE thing on the car I will NOT touch. All I now is that I havent felt any slipping.

Semper Fi.

woot, cheers, ac :)

i didn't mean anything bad about john/ipt when i talked about ty leaving; it was just a concern left over for some of us b/c it was understood that ty had done several of these and 'had it down,' and ipt could turn these around in a day, then ty left, the turnaround went up, etc.

glad as hell it worked out for you, and happy we still have the Unsinkable 5eat to point to when anyone asks 'what can it handle' :)

this mod is looking more and more appealing/necessary for 5eat modbugs.

Not saying anything by about Ty, but he was a sales rep. To modify a VB and tune a VB is not a easy task. Will require to drop tranny pan and VB many times to get it right.

Not sure if Acooper5 send in his VB or drop off his LGT to John.

Yes, AKLGT is the lucky one. :(

ok, ya, after thinking about it, the shifts did seem kinda rough at first, but they weren't slipping (remember it was my lower gears that were slipping) so i figured everything was as it should be. they did tone down after a little while, but i wasn't actually sure if they did or i was just used to it. :lol:

You know guys, Ive had my VB in for over a weel now and I still dont feel a big difference. It was probably a placebo effect when i first got it, but i dont feel it shift harder. Mine shifts like stock, I cant really tell if its actually firmer or not.

My car never slipped, only wierd thing that happened is I hit rev limiter on first gear in AUTO mode after 20G upgrade. Needle just climbs too fast and that shifting delay causes me to go fast 7000rpms. John at IPT says that my clutch packs are probably worn out. Funny thing is I now use Manual shifting and it does not slip in any gear at all. See, the thing is, most of you who got the VB upgrade say that you feel the shift being hard, mine feels like stock. I might have to send my VB back to IPT to increase line pressure a little more. I spent $300 for labor and $200 shipping to IPT. $1150 total for this whole thing so im hoping John stands up to his words and help me out.

Can anyone tape a video of there VB upgrade so I can compare? Thanks

mine doesn't shift "hard" per say, but waaaaay faster than pre-VB. in sport, i hold it to 7000 when i drive hard, no problems with it hitting redline for me. Compared to your guys' posted videos, mine shifts quite a bit quicker. I don't have a camcorder handy, but i'll try to get a hold of one.

does your manual shifting shift quickly or does it delay then shift?

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

Mine shift just like stock, even using Manual mode. I use manual mode to shift a little earlier so I dont hit redline. Mike, i used the video mode on my Digital camera. I think i may get another video to see the shifting difference after 1 weel.

weird... but yeah, since you're hitting redline on drive and sport, i am guessing you might need to send it back to IPT for some adjustments...

i hold the gear to redline, then a really sharp, quick shift right at 7000 for me...

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

mine doesn't shift "hard" per say, but waaaaay faster than pre-VB. in sport, i hold it to 7000 when i drive hard, no problems with it hitting redline for me. Compared to your guys' posted videos, mine shifts quite a bit quicker. I don't have a camcorder handy, but i'll try to get a hold of one.

does your manual shifting shift quickly or does it delay then shift?

Mike

same here.

Lee, hate to say it, but maybe there's something wrong? and you shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter even BEFORE the VB when you were stock. :( the VB will only help it shift a little quicker, but probably at the same points unless you tell them to change it.

Are you using normal auto mode or sport mode? No real difference felt between pre and post VB upgrade in either mode?

I'm planning on having an upgraded VB installed in a few weeks (from another vendor, not IPT). I don't really want "hard" shifts but rather firm, efficient near instantaneous shifts.

I used both sport auto and normal auto and it hits rev limiter only in first gear WOT. This happend to my car before the VB upgrade, it started happening after I got the 20G and that rapid RPM climb. Maybee its my tune? WHat if I set the Rev to 7500rpm? I dont see how my tranny could be slipping. It works perfectly fine when im in "maunal" mode. I shift sooner than the 5EAT and it never shifts perfectly at 7000rpms. It takes about 1 second to every shift. Im not getting the split second power jerk shifts like the rest of you.

My tuner raised my rev limiter to about 7500 which helped prevent the fuel cut. Once in a while I'll still hit it, not from a WOT run from a stand still but if Im lightly into the throttle then floor it. It downshifts, the revs climb fast and the 5eat doesn't upshift quick enough to avoid hitting the rev limiter.

Archived