LegacyGT.com

Snow Tires?

AZZMAN

I have an 2006 Legacy Spec b with the stock tires. I drove it last winter with these tires and it was a joke trying to keep the car on the road with anything more than a few inches of snow... so much for 18" low profile tires. They are great in the summer but what tire should I use in the Winter? I was thinking of just buying some plain steel rims other than looks any comments? Tire size comments? I would use the tires from Dec. 1 to March 30th... Pretty much peek snow times here in Chicago.

You are brave, or stupid, to drive UHP summer tires in Chicago's winter.

Krzys

PS What happens if there is an accident and the other party finds that you have summer tires in winter? Are you at fault?

How can you be faulted for driving stock tires? If they come standard on the car I don't see how anyone can blame the owner. I did try out the re92's last winter myself. I got the car in December and didn't feel like buying new tires right away. The tires are definitely not suited for the snow, I got where I was going, but they do ride on top of the snow and do not like to cut through the turns. I would have liked to get a 16" set, but since only 17's fit on the LGT I decided to get the nokian WR's instead of spending a grand on a 17 in winter combo. I looked on ebay too, but could not find any used rims. Hopefully the WR's will do the trick for me. They should be here today or tomorrow.

I have an 2006 Legacy Spec b with the stock tires. I drove it last winter with these tires and it was a joke trying to keep the car on the road with anything more than a few inches of snow... so much for 18" low profile tires. They are great in the summer but what tire should I use in the Winter? I was thinking of just buying some plain steel rims other than looks any comments? Tire size comments? I would use the tires from Dec. 1 to March 30th... Pretty much peek snow times here in Chicago.

The OEM Bridgestone 050s are great summer tires. However, when the temps get into the 30s the rubber compound gets hard as a rock. The tread design is not suitable for snow.

I bought some 17" wheels from a fellow member and put Contiextreme A/S (215/50-17 which pretty closely matches OEM diameter) on them. They're great for Chicagoland winters. Good dry performance and excellent wet and snow traction.

How can you be faulted for driving stock tires? If they come standard on the car I don't see how anyone can blame the owner. I did try out the re92's last winter myself. I got the car in December and didn't feel like buying new tires right away. The tires are definitely not suited for the snow, I got where I was going, but they do ride on top of the snow and do not like to cut through the turns. I would have liked to get a 16" set, but since only 17's fit on the LGT I decided to get the nokian WR's instead of spending a grand on a 17 in winter combo. I looked on ebay too, but could not find any used rims. Hopefully the WR's will do the trick for me. They should be here today or tomorrow.

Stock tires are summer tires and I bet Subaru has huge disclaimer somewhere in manual. Isn't it American way to blame everybody and everything but oneself for everything. I fit right in ;-)

Krzys

Stock tires are summer tires and I bet Subaru has huge disclaimer somewhere in manual. Isn't it American way to blame everybody and everything but oneself for everything. I fit right in ;-)

Krzys

Ha, yes it certainly seems that way. I stand corrected, I thought the spec b came with the same tires as the regular LGT, close, but not the same. I needed a running start just to make it up my driveway in the re92's last year, so I will not be using them again this winter.

"All Season" tires means that they will suck in all seasons. If you have some snow, get some snow tires.

I've heard that the Dunlop Wintersport M3 was a good choice for people who doesn't have a lot of snow but still need winter tires.

"All Season" tires means that they will suck in all seasons. If you have some snow, get some snow tires.

I've heard that the Dunlop Wintersport M3 was a good choice for people who doesn't have a lot of snow but still need winter tires.

+1 I love my M3's... In the snow they are great, you couldn't set a slalom record with them but I doubt you have the closed track for that anyways. In the dry at temps upto 50 degrees they are quiet and grippy and much less mushy than a dedicated snow tire. I would be a lot more excited to put mine on for the winter if they weren't mounted on stock rims.

The categories are really better separated into All-Seasons, Snow/Ice, and Winter tires. Winter and Snow/Ice will generally be better in the cold wet stuff with the winter ones having better wear characteristics when it's dry at the expense of extreme snow/ice performance. I didn't consider all-seasons since I wanted UHP Summer rubber on dedicated wheels.

Ha, yes it certainly seems that way. I stand corrected, I thought the spec b came with the same tires as the regular LGT, close, but not the same. I needed a running start just to make it up my driveway in the re92's last year, so I will not be using them again this winter.

I bought the car in Nov. of 2006 and I knew the tires were not going to be good in the snow... I have driven my Miata in the snow and what a big mistake that was... It took me a whole light cycles just to get across the large intersections in Schaumburg... Hitting a snow rut in the intersection was like hitting a wall. anyways... Yes I got caught in a very heavy wet snow this spring and did a 360+ on I-355 at about 35-40 mph and amazingly hit nothing.. Then when I got home I got stuck in my driveway in about 6" of snow/ice... My neighbors looked confused... saying "Hey what the hell doesn't this thing have four wheel drive?" ...yah but the tires... What about rims? Is there any reason I should not use my stock rims?

+1 I love my M3's... In the snow they are great, you couldn't set a slalom record with them but I doubt you have the closed track for that anyways. In the dry at temps upto 50 degrees they are quiet and grippy and much less mushy than a dedicated snow tire. I would be a lot more excited to put mine on for the winter if they weren't mounted on stock rims.

The categories are really better separated into All-Seasons, Snow/Ice, and Winter tires. Winter and Snow/Ice will generally be better in the cold wet stuff with the winter ones having better wear characteristics when it's dry at the expense of extreme snow/ice performance. I didn't consider all-seasons since I wanted UHP Summer rubber on dedicated wheels.

Another +1 on the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. I put them on my '06 Spec.B last winter with 17" ASA AR1 silver rims (pic below). The M3's performed great in snow, slush, rain, everything. I also have a Toyota T100 4WD truck with very good Michelin all season SUV tires and it is great in the snow, but I honestly felt more secure in the Subie with the M3's except in deep snow when ground clearance was a problem. The M3's are very good in dry weather also...softer than the stock summer tires and not as crisp handling, but close enough that after a week of having them on, you don't really notice. I can't say whether some of the other winter tires mentioned would be even better, but you can't go wrong with the M3's. I'll definitely buy another set when these wear out.

asa_ar1_ci3_l.jpg.90ac82c5b307e7a6735345047f098959.jpg

Tire rack has some good deals. You can pick up a set of Dunlops or Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance for about $140/each, then take $40 or $50 off the total with a rebate.

I have Nokian WRs on 17" rims, but I'm going with the Goodyear Ultra Grips this year as I want more ice/hardpack traction (it gets very cold here).

Also search...lots of posts on this topic.

One word: Size.

In OE size 215/45R18 the winter tires are expensive and choice is limited.

Krzys

Not only that, but do you really want to expose your nice Spec.B rims to the winter salt? Plus it is not great for the tires to keep mounting and unmounting them. Plus you have to rebalance them every time. Plus the low profile 18" tires are inherently not as good in snow as higher profile 17" ones.

Not only that, but do you really want to expose your nice Spec.B rims to the winter salt? Plus it is not great for the tires to keep mounting and unmounting them. Plus you have to rebalance them every time. Plus the low profile 18" tires are inherently not as good in snow as higher profile 17" ones.

No on the salt exposure. I love the rims the spec b came with... and I thought you might have to rebalance them.

It appears the 18" are pretty pricey... I wanted to keep the total price rims and tires under $1000 I think it looks like the 17" fit that goal a bit better.

Another +1 on the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. I put them on my '06 Spec.B last winter with 17" ASA AR1 silver rims (pic below). The M3's performed great in snow, slush, rain, everything. I also have a Toyota T100 4WD truck with very good Michelin all season SUV tires and it is great in the snow, but I honestly felt more secure in the Subie with the M3's except in deep snow when ground clearance was a problem. The M3's are very good in dry weather also...softer than the stock summer tires and not as crisp handling, but close enough that after a week of having them on, you don't really notice. I can't say whether some of the other winter tires mentioned would be even better, but you can't go wrong with the M3's. I'll definitely buy another set when these wear out.

[ATTACH]44537[/ATTACH]

Nice rims... How much did they cost?

Nice rims... How much did they cost?

They weren't bad at all...I think I paid about $139 each but it might have been a little less than that. I wanted something that would look decent but nothing real fancy since they were for winter use. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they look on the car. I don't have a pic of them mounted on the car...sorry.

Archived