LegacyGT.com

What to do?

tommypenguin

I have a perrin catless dp, I put it on a little over a month ago and for the first couple of weeks I was really peaved with the exhaust smell I was getting in the cabin.

Its not an exhaust leak to those who will blame that, I checked every exhaust connection twice and there was no smell to be found. Its been getting cold for the last week and I haven't had my windows down at all, and guess what no smell. The member "Seeeeya" suggested that i could only smell the exhaust fumes with the windows down because it creates vacuum sucking the fumes out of the trunk ventilation flaps and into the cabin. He was exactly right. I haven't smelled any exhaust at all except occasionally at a light, the smell no longer bothers me because I've learned how to deal with it and minimize it.

But of course to fix the smell issue all together, i ordered a cobb catted dp from a member on here. Now i'm not so sure if I want to put it on. The main reason is just because of how good the perrin dp sounds. I can't emphasize how much women love the raw throatiness of the sound. I took two different women out last night from two different bars, both were really into the way my car sounded, so much so I got action from both!:wub: My question is how much quieter is a cobb catted dp going to be compared to my perrin? A sound clip doesn't do justice when comparing the loudness. My concern is that I will put the cobb catted pipe on and it will be so quiet it will lose the attention women have been giving it.:redface:Has anyone heard both in person a catted dp and a catless pipe on a legacy, how much quieter is a catted dp over a catless?

The main reason is just because of how good the perrin dp sounds. I can't emphasize how much women love the raw throatiness of the sound. I took two different women out last night from two different bars, both were really into the way my car sounded, so much so I got action from both!:wub:

60% of the time it works everytime!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can't emphasize how much women love the raw throatiness of the sound. I took two different women out last night from two different bars, both were really into the way my car sounded, so much so I got action from both!:wub:

Hook me up brother! Where are you finding these women. :lol:

Anyway, I assume you have the Cobb already? If so just put on the Cobb see if you like how it sounds and if you don't just swap back the perrin. It's a 30 - 45 min job simple enough.

Hook me up brother! Where are you finding these women. :lol:

Anyway, I assume you have the Cobb already? If so just put on the Cobb see if you like how it sounds and if you don't just swap back the perrin. It's a 30 - 45 min job simple enough.

What's crazy is that the women have been finding me, I haven't had to do a damn thing except drive my car.:lol: We should roll sometime, I went to cb and potts on arapahoe and 25, met a chic who is 33, milf when I rolled up she ended up accompanying me at the bar till I rolled out, same night I went to the sunset bar and grille on county line and holly, roll up a bunch of girls were standing outside the bar having a smoke, all I did was walk in to meet my friends and I was stopped at the door by the group of girls about my ride, lol I ended up walking into the bar with the group of girls that I don't know trying to hook up some friends, unfortunately I was the only one who had any success.

It is a simple install if you have the tools and some jack stands. In fact its only 7 bolts and a sensor. I have neither, I have wiring kit for car audio, and a screwdriver, couple basic tools. Not going to cut it to get the dp on.:lol: I know I'm pathetic about not owning tools. The only installs I ever do is car audio. Those installs normally just reqiure a screwdriver, some electrical pliers and tape and connectors.

We can do the dp at the beginning of an install day, then you can drive it to see what you think, come back and change it if you want, but...

If you are getting women with your car, moreover, with your exhaust, you are hurting :lol:

:spin:

We can do the dp at the beginning of an install day, then you can drive it to see what you think, come back and change it if you want, but...

If you are getting women with your car, moreover, with your exhaust, you are hurting :lol:

For sure, sounds like a plan. I am hurting for tools... not for hot skanky women.;)

You can always come over to the house and we can put the Cobb in.

ps: Are they hot women when looking through beer goggles?

We should do that for sure. When do you have a minute?

Let the hate rain down :lol:. Like I said one of girls I met was 33, I'm 24, she was really attractive even before I started drinking at all. I got her attention with my ride when I rolled up she was outside waiting for a girlfriend to meet her, saw she had been staring, got my balls together and approached her used the classic, 'got a light' line. The rest is history.:) She's actually going to come to my ice hockey game on thursday night... should be fun. For a young guy if you can get a hot older woman with experience, its a good time for sure and nobody will ever sway me differently. Oh ya steve what downpipe are you running?

We should do that for sure. When do you have a minute?

Let the hate rain down :lol:. Like I said one of girls I met was 33, I'm 24, she was really attractive even before I started drinking at all. I got her attention with my ride when I rolled up she was outside waiting for a girlfriend to meet her, saw she had been staring, got my balls together and approached her used the classic, 'got a light' line. The rest is history.:) She's actually going to come to my ice hockey game on thursday night... should be fun. For a young guy if you can get a hot older woman with experience, its a good time for sure and nobody will ever sway me differently. Oh ya steve what downpipe are you running?

It would have to be after my wife gets back into town (may be this weekend). I am running Invidia catted full 3 inches of goodness!

How was your fitment with invidia, I don't remember looking, did the top of the dp touch the firewall at all or does it clear? Your exhaust sounds real good, I take it you don't get exhaust smell in the cabin either?

This weekend would definitely work, let me know when you are available or if not this weekend whenever...

How was your fitment with invidia, I don't remember looking, did the top of the dp touch the firewall at all or does it clear? Your exhaust sounds real good, I take it you don't get exhaust smell in the cabin either?

This weekend would definitely work, let me know when you are available or if not this weekend whenever...

Here are some pictures to show how close it is. I have seen a Perrin installed before and it does not touch at all.

http://verticaltier.com/images/invidia_dp/001.jpg

http://verticaltier.com/images/invidia_dp/002.jpg

The pic does not show the third finger as the firewall bends back. There was more space but I was already starting to burn my fingers.

http://verticaltier.com/images/invidia_dp/003.jpg

Some comparison pics of Crucial to Invidia.

http://verticaltier.com/images/invidia_dp/004.jpg

http://verticaltier.com/images/invidia_dp/005.jpg

What's the negative to the cat being at the location? I noticed on my cobb dp that the cat is a lot further back than the invidia.

It's too close to the turbo exhaust port. There are at least couple of reasons why this is bad. First is temperature. The turbo exhaust port is probably the hottest part of the whole exhaust system. By placing the cat this close to the turbo you are introducing additional heat. This is good at cold start but you are also increasing the risk of the cat overheating and breaking apart. Second is turbulence. The exhaust gas from the turbo is extremely turbulent. By placing an obstruction (the cat) this close you are introducing additional drag (which means back pressure in our application) compare to placing the cat further downstream. More back pressure means slower turbo response and lost power.

It's too close to the turbo exhaust port. There are at least couple of reasons why this is bad. First is temperature. The turbo exhaust port is probably the hottest part of the whole exhaust system. By placing the cat this close to the turbo you are introducing additional heat. This is good at cold start but you are also increasing the risk of the cat overheating and breaking apart. Second is turbulence. The exhaust gas from the turbo is extremely turbulent. By placing an obstruction (the cat) this close you are introducing additional drag (which means back pressure in our application) compare to placing the cat further downstream. More back pressure means slower turbo response and lost power.

While I agree with most of what you said. I don't think the cat will break apart as it is metal not ceramic.

Archived