LegacyGT.com

Does this make sense? 350z and G35 sedan issues lol

Mblock66

Ok so here is the long and short of it.

I was on the highway home about 3 weeks ago and a yellow tinted 350z came up on me. He was weaving in and out of traffic like a moron. So I am in the left lane and he comes up on my bumper. So I decide to have a little fun and punch it.

Well to my surprise he stayed with me no problem on my bumper up to 120ish where I shut it down. It was 96 degrees out and somewhat humid. I couldn't believe it. Really ticked me off. He seemed to be 100% stock too with a 6 speed to my 5EAT.

However Im

TD0618g

TMIC

inj

pump

headers

cat back

catless

AEM

TDC protune 290 whp (in cold weather)

What gives? Was it the heat? Is the stock Z as fast as a stage 2.5 LGT?

So today same thing I am on the highway going the other way and there is an old dude in a G35 sedan AWD in front of me. We break out of a merge and he shoots into the open left lane and nails it. I was in 5th in manual mode and I hit it too. We started at maybe 50 mph tops when he nailed it. Of course my car stayed in 5th bc I was in manula mode while his down shifted and took off.

He pulled away slightly at first but I couldn't gain on him at all as I worked through 5th gear. 82 degrees out today.

Was it b/c I stayed in 5th? I know i should have gone to at least 4th but I wasn't really racing, just wanted to see how badly I could pull him in and I couldn't in 5th at all. BLAH

Im thinking that if I shifted to 3rd, then 4th and ran through 4th I would have pulled on him seeing that I stayed right on pace with him through 5th with no shifting, or am I worng?

Those nissans are fast on the highway either way......

20g time FMIC

Thats what I thought. I just can't believe I couldn't pull away from one or catch the other. Now I know I am faster then a stock G35 sedan AWD it had to be that I didn't row and he did. But the Z who knows that is what really pisses me off, if he were boosted he would have KILLLED me though and he couldn't pull either

Must have been the 96 degree weather.. :(

Yeah In stock i can keep toe to toe with my friends s4 till 120 somethings as long as its a rolling start not dead stop. But one thing i figured out 5th gear should not be used till late in the 4th. 5th is just how underpowered said its a slow old dog.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

Sounds like its time to do some dataloging. These sound like two completely stock cars that were running as strong as you. There is no way either of these should hang with you at even stage 2 power levels, atleast thats my experience. Are you sure your trans isn't sliping, may be time for a valve body upgrade.

IBTL. :)

I agree with the others, bro, are you completely sure that your car was running tip-top at the time?

Were you attaining boost target?

Like the others have said, - datalogged recently?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

It wasn't racing like you guys are trying to make it sound

I know you are going to make it look like racing but I just nailed it for an open stretch and then hit my brakes 4 seconds later lol.

And the G35 was 45 mph to 80 mph. That is normal highway speed

IBTL

Dude, sounds to me like you dont know how to drive the 5EAT! You should have downshifted to 3rd if you were at 50mph and shifted at 6500rpm (which the car will shift at 7K)! Our peak power band starts @ 3Krpm. I know that my 4th gear pulls pretty good to 120mph. 5th gear is weak, that is your gas saving crusing gear.

vs S2000 off a roll

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXKOFibMgFc]YouTube - Legacy GT vs S2000[/ame]

vs modded Mustang GT from a dig

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJxgDm91BBI]YouTube - Legacy GT vs Mustang GT[/ame]

And im only stage 2 5EAT

It wasn't racing like you guys are trying to make it sound

I know you are going to make it look like racing but I just nailed it for an open stretch and then hit my brakes 4 seconds later lol.

And the G35 was 45 mph to 80 mph. That is normal highway speed

Oh it didn't sound like that from your original post. Well I know in my old car I would get destroyed by most cars if it didn't downshift. Now if I am screwing around I put in the clutch and do put it in whatever gear I want. So maybe the fact that you didn't downshift hurt you more then you think.

Also AWD has a lot more drag on the highway. Much more stuff spinning at high speeds. RWD only had 2 wheels and 1 diff spinning at high speeds. This can make a huge difference. The LGT was never and even with a big turbo will never be superior at high speeds for this reason.

This also explains the crappy MPG on the highway.

Also AWD has a lot more drag on the highway. Much more stuff spinning at high speeds. RWD only had 2 wheels and 1 diff spinning at high speeds. This can make a huge difference. The LGT was never and even with a big turbo will never be superior at high speeds for this reason.

This also explains the crappy MPG on the highway.

Its not that much drag :rolleyes: WHP is WHP. He should have NO PROBLEM taking the car listed with the power he has. He needs to log his car, period. Then if everything checks out look at the tranny at the minimum he should have a larger tranny cooler fresh fluid and really a VB upgrade.

This may not be completely out of the question. The newer 350Z/G35 have over 300 crank. As mentioned rwd and minimal drivetrain loss and they could be around 270-280 rwhp, especially with a minimal upgrade (i.e. intake/exhaust, free mods, etc.). The fact that it was warm/hot and you're auto, it seems feasable at least.

Those cars also perform like the newer LS1's/LS6 from GM (Corvette, Camaro). When I had my LT1 lower rpm and speeds and I would be ahead above 80 or so and it went down hill quick. Similar power #'s but the power band was higher in the rpm range. The VQ motors are definatley more topend power wise so I wouldn't worry too much. As far as the 20g & front mount. The more and more I read thse stories the more I think I will just go that route from teh beginning.

Kyle

Archived