LegacyGT.com

Now this is a blowout. Not just tire, wheel too.

dave g

Last night I blew a tire near Summersville WV at about 55 MPH. I felt/heard something flying around my rear wheel-well, and if felt like a flat momentarily, then it smoothed out to a normal ride, leaving me to think I had merely kicked something up. I pulled over to check for damage and found the tire flat, with no sidewall damage. I got the donut on and rode the final 160 miles home at 50 MPH, after getting air, since it only had 45 PSI in it. This morning I found a hole in the wheel big enough to put my thumb in. I think I kicked up a big bolt with my front tire and it went throught the rear tire tread and out the flat part of the wheel near the flange. Either that, or somebody was shooting at me. I suggest you all check the air in your spares and consider a full size spare if you travel any distance. I sure wish I had one. I am thoroughly impressed with the ability of the Yokohoma to run flat at speed. Surely the air must have been gone from the tire within seconds. Does anybody have a lead on a stock 2007 SE 17"wheel?

1044656826_WheelHOLEsmallpic.jpg.33d0b8223fee8d280fe2afb4d9df9373.jpg

987256818_WheelHOLE005smallpic.jpg.06d3e95c7d96cacaff5e35532cdbacfa.jpg

Curiously enough, I was traveling down a mountain toward a valley.:lol: This is pretty rural. Dark with a lot of stars, absolutely no lights other than cars. My girlfriend did not enjoy the stars, as every scary movie she ever saw was coming back to her.:eek: No banjos, but we heard a coyote howl just as we got everything back in the trunk. She set a new record getting in and buckled up.

haha, hunters? that must have been a fun tire change.

not to thread jack, but no shit story. my wife was taking a walk with at the time 8 month old son on her back. some jackass is 'hunting' 50 feet from the road, shooting at the road. AT HER. freaked her out. he's lucky im in Iraq. This took place in alaska, but its like wooded suburbs. houses every 100 feet or so, with blocks of trees inbetween neighborhoods.

Moral of the story, you dont have to be in iraq to be shot at.

Plastic in the wheel well has a few scrapes, that is all. I checked the hub to see if whatever came through damaged it, but I found no marks. I assume the racket I heard included the bolt (or whatever) being flung out into the wheel well. I am surprised it did not stick there, but centrifugal force is strong at that speed. If I had known there was a hole in the wheel, I would have gone back to see what I hit. I hope nobody else ran over it.

for the wheel to blow out inwards toward the hub like that it would had to take a serious force, which really makes me think too that you might have been the recipient of a stray bullet. Thats just not right at all, for it to be anything else to puncture it that bad it would have been really large and pointed and you would have hit it at a good amount of speed at just the right angle....

jesus man that is bad, I'm in awe

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

if some one was shooting at a tire the bullet would probably be coming from the side, not from the tread area. imagine the tire mounted on the car. you cant shoot from inside the wheel well or from the ground. it would have had to been an extreamly low shot, but look at the angel of the rod he has in there.

Archived