LegacyGT.com

Finally....I've found an exhaust I'm truly happy with:)

edmundu

(Long story, so skip down to bottom to get my impressions)

Well, I originally picked up a catback exhaust to ensure I wasn't losing power as I went to the Sti swap, and then onto a larger turbo.

Exhaust #1 - Bosal/SPT V1

While it wasn't really loud, it was boomy/bassy. It had a cabin drone at freeway cruise, and I wasn't really happy with it.

Exhaust #2 - Megan Racing

It was portrayed as being one of the quietest, and it had a tasteful understated elegance. Well, maybe this MR is reasonably quiet with stock turbo's, and piping, but with my heavily modded car, it was LOUD. Period. No subtleness about it, it had a gurgly raspiness that turned into an authoritative wail once on boost! Now I do like it to have some wail, but not all the time. At cruise, whether it was on the hwy, or even around town, it always let you know you have an aftermarket exhaust.

Exhaust #3 - Stock Cans(modded), Perrin Mid/Y.

http://media.putfile.com/Perrin-MidY-wmodified-stock-cans

http://media.putfile.com/PErrin-MidY-modified-cans-2

Initial observations: This exhaust is QUIET!!! YAy....I mean stock like quiet with a very slight burble at idle. I give it a few revs, and I actually hear the engine more. Once past 4-5k rpm's, the exhaust produces a nice semi-mellow snarl. One that a LGT member can easily discern, but to a noob they wouldn't know any better. This is exactly what I have been looking for:icon_bigg: I'm not totally convinced that I have lost any power. In a quick blast to pickup some coffee, I quickly hit, and exceeded the warning level on the boost guage in 3rd gear! The warning is set for 23psi;) I backed out, as I don't have my ST running right now. (2yr old son vs. Cobb's Hasp key, and the boy won:mad: So I am waiting for Cobb to ship me a replacement, to the tune of $58 :eek:. So you other ST guys out there, be careful with that key!) This 55-60* crisp air really wakes the car up, and I even have a fmic, and still can feel the difference.

I think this exhaust is a great compromise that gives up little if any power, yet retains that stock like quietness. And I will be reporting back what I find in my logging to see just what I may or may not have given up. I should have done this a long time ago....

Setup:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was the parts I had cut out for easier reading.

I did what other's have done. That is, I cut open the inlet chamber, and drilled 10 3/8" holes into the inlet pipe. Then used muffler cement and a patch panel to seal it. Finished them by painting them a flat black.

While my own opinion that the Megan is quieter than similarly modified stock mufflers (and small Hogzaust for flavor :)), things may change when I have my own AVO turbo installed. However, my wife's as well as my neighbor's opinions echo my own.

It may be that my poor lil VF40 can't yell that loudly. Or it may be the APS header's smoothing influence. Whatever, I'm pleased with the Megan CBE...... at least for now.

Kind of amazing isn't it, this whole exhaust thing. People willing to spend lots of money, endure blood sweat and tears wrenching, and search relentlessly for even minor horsepower gains will leave all that behind when it comes time to include what it sounds like.

http://www.bibleexplained.com/prophets/isai/bow-down.gif

to Rob....

I have a spare set of cans I want to try this with...

Me too... If you are up for it I can even pay you some monies for your labor and welding skills. But I do not have a extra set...

Rob has a welder though. I saw his work on the headers. Worst case scenario is a do this on a weekend and take it to the muffler shop down the street and have them weld it back together when its done. They charge $40 for everything. My question is though how do you cut it open? and where. Someone needs to post this up in the DIY section.

I used a dremel with the new ez clip wheels? Not sure of the name, but they are the expensive ones, and use the new quick change mandrel. You could also use a cutoff wheel on a 3-4" grinder. Just try to get as narrow a wheel as you can, to minimize the gap when needing to reseal. That's why I used the dremel in the first place. To seal it up, I used muffler cement, covered by a piece of 22ga steel patch panel, secured with self tapping sheetmetal screws.

PS I also wound up using 3-4 wheels to get it done, so make sure you have extras.

You are giving up a HUGE amount of power :lol:

No one ever listens to me :lol:

We do Rob, just like when your parents tell you not to do something, and you do anyway, then later on figure out they were right in the first place.

But I was against intakes, and it turned out to be a huge restriction on my setup. It actually netted me more power than the alky injection! So I thought that somehow the CBE was maybe choking the engine similarly. So far it does not appear to be the case.

Nah, I had the wife nagging me on what I was doing now....so I didn't slow down to get any pics.

But the "incisions" are on top, so you cannot see them when mounted. And they are about 4" wide by 2.5" high, cut on 3 sides. So you peel back the 2 skins, then perform the drilling cutting, and later fold them back and seal them up.

But I was against intakes, and it turned out to be a huge restriction on my setup. It actually netted me more power than the alky injection! So I thought that somehow the CBE was maybe choking the engine similarly. So far it does not appear to be the case.

I think for me (and may people) the 3"->2.5" tapper on the Cobb DP is more of a restriction than the mufflers. Thats next to go for me :)

Went for a drive this AM to meetup with another member(groff), to sell the MR exhaust:)

I was doing a steady 75-80mph, and there was an odd noise I hadn't heard since changing to the first catback.....IT was tire noise! THe car was practically silent, and was very calming and relaxing.

Even stabbing the pedal with 5th gear rollons, the engine tone remained calm, with a muted growl in the background. I love this 3rd exhaust setup:) Anyone who is hesitant on getting something too loud, should at least give this a try. You could always add cans to it later on, if you decide it isn't for you.

The car is also much more of a sleeper now....(no one ever notices the big honkin' Brembo's peering through the rims, nor the big fmic smiling in the grille:lol:) IT doesn't grab a by stander's attention when I plant my foot deep into the carpet, thereby allowing me to discreetly probe the acceleration of the car when conditions permit;)

Nah, I had the wife nagging me on what I was doing now....so I didn't slow down to get any pics.

But the "incisions" are on top, so you cannot see them when mounted. And they are about 4" wide by 2.5" high, cut on 3 sides. So you peel back the 2 skins, then perform the drilling cutting, and later fold them back and seal them up.

this sounds exactly what i might be looking for; and description sounds simple enough and i've seen the other thread, but would it be possible to offer even some crude illustration, ed, on precisely where the cuts are best applied, then what to gut once inside?

much tia

Archived