LegacyGT.com

08 auto trans, already not working right

IMPORTIMAGE

bring it to the dealer, the tech took about an hour, reprogrammed the ecu/tranny computer, and it's been working great every since, they just came up with a fix :)

Can we get the device that flashes the TCU, and create quicker shifts with a new map:rolleyes:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just yesterday, my tranny started acting up. It SLAMS into third when shifting at partial throttle. Light throttle or WOT is fine. Tranny used to be super smooth, probably the smoothest I have ever rode in. Now I'm not happy at all with the way it's shifting. I tried manually shifting, and all three SI modes and it still does it. When it shifts into third, it seems to shudder a little and then slam into gear...very annoying. I'm hoping the dealer can do a reprogram and fix mine like the OP's...

I'm at 4,500 miles now...

IMPORTIMAGE, Any idea if there is a TSB on this re-flash they did to your car that I can reference when I take it in?

• 4 weeks later...
My transmission has been shifting into 3rd very harshly again, so I have made an appt with the dealer for tomorrow. Hopefully they will be able to do the reprogramming and fix the problem without too much trouble

Well I took it to the dealer on Thur, and they said they couldn't find the problem and they were going to have to contact a Subaru techline for help. I left with the car and they said they would call me back. After no call, I called them back today and they said the Subaru techline's answer was I needed to drive the car 7-10,000 miles and the problem will go away on it's own! :mad: That is totally not acceptable that I need to drive my car 10k miles to get rid of a *very* harsh shift. Maybe I will break the axle by then :rolleyes:.

Anyway I called the Subaru customer service line and opened up a case. We'll see what happens. Right now I'm not very happy.

• 1 month later...

New Update:

I took the car to another dealership today and they found a reflash for the TCU. So far the shifting is back to normal and not slamming into 3rd anymore. Hopefully the problem won't come back. I'll see how it goes...

I don't know the specifics of it, but I would imagine so because the 2008 transmission is significantly revised compared to the 05-07 5EATs

Revised for the better or worst? I'm asking because I'm getting a 08 from my dealer soon.:confused:

I had the same problem slamming into 3rd between 500-1300 miles when the engine is warm. After that I can barely feel anything when shifting into 3rd(auto mode). I'm now at 1800 miles.

Slamming into 3rd only happened to me in city driving(stop and go), didn't happen on hard acceleration.

I had driven 06 M35 before and the 5sp auto(1st gen) is not as smooth as the 5eat(2nd gen) in 08 Legacy. (same/similar transmission according to this thread)

IMHO Legacy 2nd gen 5eat is about as smooth as the 6sp auto in new X5, but downshift is slower than X5.

Glad I found this post, was about to post a new thread about the same thing. My 08 5EAT does this on a regular basis, the slamming into 3rd upshift. 1-2 smooth, then bam. Guess its time to take it to Subie. Just hit 6,000 miles.

I had to go to 2 dealers to get them to fix it, but it appears to be resolved now. I think there is some kind of service bulletin out for it.

One thing I have noticed is that the 3rd gear slam is gone, but the transmission now seems much harsher on downshifts when coming to a stop. For example as I'm braking to a stop at a red light, I can *feel* it downshift through each gear and it lurches a bit each time. I was hoping this would go away, but it's been 500 miles or so since I got the re-flash and it hasn't changed. So they fixed one problem, but created another....oh well....

Maybe an AP will fix things :) My 06 5EAT Tranny was the smoothest Ive ever driven. I figured it was not a mechanical problem because the 3rd gear slam has been occuring in any mode of SI-Drive.

What dealer fixed it? Farrish or Dulles Subaru Motorcars? Here in Hampton Roads I have 3 dealers to choose from, RK Subaru (which is 1 mile away) Perry Subaru in Norfolk, and Casey Subaru in Newport News.

Maybe an AP will fix things :) My 06 5EAT Tranny was the smoothest Ive ever driven. I figured it was not a mechanical problem because the 3rd gear slam has been occuring in any mode of SI-Drive.

What dealer fixed it? Farrish or Dulles Subaru Motorcars? Here in Hampton Roads I have 3 dealers to choose from, RK Subaru (which is 1 mile away) Perry Subaru in Norfolk, and Casey Subaru in Newport News.

Stohlman in Herndon was the one that fixed it. Dulles was the first dealership I went to because they are closest to my house. Dulles put zero effort into fixing the problem, completely blew me off and blamed my driving for making the transmission "learn my bad behaviors." I plan on never using them again.

Stohlman in Herndon was the one that fixed it. Dulles was the first dealership I went to because they are closest to my house. Dulles put zero effort into fixing the problem, completely blew me off and blamed my driving for making the transmission "learn my bad behaviors." I plan on never using them again.

just have to find a good dealer that cares about your dilemma, mine was fixed with zero problems, they have 2 fixes, one is a quick flash, the other one took about an hour to 1.5 hours and it got rid of it. she shifts like butter and its been over 2k miles since, trouble free. My tech explained it to me as they put it on the lift and do a bunch of reprogramming on the lift. where as the first flash they just drive the car around and do a little check list.

this is all i know as of this point :)

Josh

Has anyone who has taken their car in and had it "fixed" have their paperwork nearby so I can provide my dealer with a TSB. Even if they can't duplicate it on their test drive I will still request the TSB be performed because its an issue that comes and goes. I dont want them to say "we couldnt feel anything unusual and we aren't sure what needs to be done"

I don't have an AT, but perhaps this is a starting point?:

TSB: 16-72-07

Which has the following listed in its description:

... In addition, if a vehicle is experiencing a harsh shift, shift shock and/or delayed shift with no diagnostic codes set and nothing is found during basic diagnostics, the learning procedure should be performed.

I don't have an AT, but perhaps this is a starting point?:

TSB: 16-72-07

Which has the following listed in its description:

... In addition, if a vehicle is experiencing a harsh shift, shift shock and/or delayed shift with no diagnostic codes set and nothing is found during basic diagnostics, the learning procedure should be performed.

Prior to my IPT rebuild my transmission, an 05 5EAT, had started to become noticeably harsh during the 2nd to 3rd upshift. I figured it was just part of the ongoing failure of the transmission.

When 5th let go and the TCU submitted its protesting CEL, blinking 'cruise' etc. I tried to get rid of the CEL as I normally did, by resetting the ECU and disconnecting the battery. Didn't work. CEL remained. I went to my local guru to have him explore the codes with his instrumentation. He confirmed what my onboard CEL checking had revealed and with his fancy expensive instrumentation got rid of all codes (there were 3). I drove the car carefully knowing it was on its last legs.

The relevant point here is this; the harsh 2-3 upshift was gone. For reasons I do not understand yet codes the TCU has set is not touched by taking the battery out, even if you leave it disconnected for two weeks (another story). But having the TCU reset by the appropriate methods apparently erases learned behavior and relearning starts anew.

So, if you have harsh shifting and all else seems ok, take it wherever someone can reset the TCU and let your 5EAT relearn. This means take it east for a week or so, don't jack-rabbit it, and give it plenty of time to adjust to your daily driving in prevailing conditions.

• 1 month later...
If anyone is still dealing with this problem, mine has been completely cured by doing the "Transmission re-learning process". Take in TSB 16-72-07, and they will initially say its not for your 2008, but tell them to do it anyways because thats what works. When I walked in they said they would take a look at it and of course couldn't duplicate it on their test drive. They went ahead and did the TSB before I came back due to my description of the symptoms. RK Subaru (service dept, not sales) in VA Beach rox.

Archived