LegacyGT.com

08 auto trans, already not working right

IMPORTIMAGE

If anyone is still dealing with this problem, mine has been completely cured by doing the "Transmission re-learning process". Take in TSB 16-72-07, and they will initially say its not for your 2008, but tell them to do it anyways because thats what works. When I walked in they said they would take a look at it and of course couldn't duplicate it on their test drive. They went ahead and did the TSB before I came back due to my description of the symptoms. RK Subaru (service dept, not sales) in VA Beach rox.

They've done that for me twice now and each time the problem comes back after 2,000-3,000 miles. I've given up on them actually figuring out how to make the transmission work decently at this point. The rental Cobalt I drove had a smoother transmission than my $30k car :confused:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, sad to say, but i traded in my auto legacy for a clk500

seems like subaru only has a temporary fix, and since i have a lack of free time, dealer wouldnt give me a rental, and didn't really care, so i said F it, and took a nice bath on it. oh well.

get a manual legacy, or an 05-07 auto :)...and your fine.

yep, sad to say, but i traded in my auto legacy for a clk500

seems like subaru only has a temporary fix, and since i have a lack of free time, dealer wouldnt give me a rental, and didn't really care, so i said F it, and took a nice bath on it. oh well.

get a manual legacy, or an 05-07 auto :)...and your fine.

Your 08 is gone??? :eek:

• 2 months later...

I'm having similar problems on my 08 GT as reported here. Does anyone know how the TCU relearning procedure is done? Is it something that can be remedied with an Accessport? There are some reports of people resetting the TCU by unplugging the negative battery cable for a few hours then driving 'gently' for the next week as the TCU relearns. Has anyone had success with this? I tried this, thought things had improved, but they returned within a few days. I'm at 3200 miles only. Even if I can find a self directed procedure to rectify the problem at each oil change, I can deal with that. But its very annoying to drive as is.

Thanks in advance.

R.

I'm having similar problems on my 08 GT as reported here. Does anyone know how the TCU relearning procedure is done? Is it something that can be remedied with an Accessport? There are some reports of people resetting the TCU by unplugging the negative battery cable for a few hours then driving 'gently' for the next week as the TCU relearns. Has anyone had success with this? I tried this, thought things had improved, but they returned within a few days. I'm at 3200 miles only. Even if I can find a self directed procedure to rectify the problem at each oil change, I can deal with that. But its very annoying to drive as is.

Thanks in advance.

R.

In answer to your questions, no.

I repeat:

When 5th let go and the TCU submitted its protesting CEL, blinking 'cruise' etc. I tried to get rid of the CEL as I normally did, by resetting the ECU and disconnecting the battery. Didn't work. CEL remained. I went to my local guru to have him explore the codes with his instrumentation. He confirmed what my onboard CEL checking had revealed and with his fancy expensive instrumentation got rid of all codes (there were 3). I drove the car carefully knowing it was on its last legs.

The relevant point here is this; the harsh 2-3 upshift was gone. For reasons I do not understand yet codes the TCU has set is not touched by taking the battery out, even if you leave it disconnected for two weeks (another story). But having the TCU reset by the appropriate methods apparently erases learned behavior and relearning starts anew.

So, if you have harsh shifting and all else seems ok, take it wherever someone can reset the TCU and let your 5EAT relearn. This means take it east for a week or so, don't jack-rabbit it, and give it plenty of time to adjust to your daily driving in prevailing conditions.

• 1 month later...
I've recently been having issues with my 08 auto trans as well. I have a 2.5i non-turbo. With 13k miles on it. Recently, I've noticed that as i slow down at a light the car will stutter when im at or around 10 mph and the tach will shoot up from about 800 rpm to 1300 rpm before slowing down smoothly as I come to a stop. Also, after making a turn, when I hit the gas again it seems to shift very roughly and kick into gear. This doesn't seem to happen in any other situation? Does anyone have any advice before I bring the car to the dealer to check it out? I'm afraid they are going to tell me its normal and theres nothing they can do and then my tranny is going to drop when its out of warranty.

I've recently been having issues with my 08 auto trans as well. I have a 2.5i non-turbo. With 13k miles on it. Recently, I've noticed that as i slow down at a light the car will stutter when im at or around 10 mph and the tach will shoot up from about 800 rpm to 1300 rpm before slowing down smoothly as I come to a stop. Also, after making a turn, when I hit the gas again it seems to shift very roughly and kick into gear. This doesn't seem to happen in any other situation? Does anyone have any advice before I bring the car to the dealer to check it out? I'm afraid they are going to tell me its normal and theres nothing they can do and then my tranny is going to drop when its out of warranty.

which dealer did you get it from?

• 1 month later...
I'm bringing back this thread because I am once again experiencing the clunky/delayed shift in my 08. I just rolled 11k miles. I do NOT drive this car hard so its learning how not to shift on its own. In fact, my LGT is my weekend car, I also have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 with 122k and its transmission shifts smoother and quicker than my Legacy. My ex-06 5EAT never gave me any problems with shifting, both before the AccessPort and during the time it was installed. I am about ready to take it back for another TCU re-flash but its getting to be a hassle and a disappointment. The car wins me over with the great ride and styling but Im about to take a big $$ hit and trade it in. If someone can confirm the new AccessPort for 08's is reliable and fixes this issue, I will get it. I don't see how a transmission flush and adding additives fixes this issue, its not mechanical its a TCU problem. Hopefully my fellow LGTforum'ers are having better luck...

I'm at about 6000 miles. Have the same problem - started around the 2500 Mile mark. It seemed to go away for a little while ie - 2-300 miles, then came back. Now its quite persistent between the 2nd and 3rd gear change. Car is completely stock. I was planning on taking it in on my next oil change.

Disappointed to hear that the problem is coming back post reflash though. Has anyone been successful in 'curing' this problem? I'm not keen on trading in the car for this problem since its been outstanding so far in every other way.

which dealer did you get it from?

Quality in Wallingford. They put the TCU through a re-learn and it mostly fixed the problem. Although, I have noticed it occur a few more times, it is much more infrequent and less rough. I might end up taking it in for another re-learn before the warranty period is up. Although, I have a lot more time to go.

i had my 08 for a year now.. i drive a lot so i already have 33,000 miles.

about two weeks ago my transmission control module got fried.. or shorted. the dealer i brought it to is charging me $4,489 for the fix. they said they would have to replace the entire module itself and put a new wiring harness because of it.

this sounds really ridiculous and doesn't make sense whatsoever. but my car completely died. it wouldn't even start.

I was driving it to work like i normally do and all of a sudden, the car stopped shifting and started to decelerate on its own.. when it came to a dead stop, the engine shut off and wont start back up. it wont even crank, so i knew it was a computer problem. I called AAA and had it flatbedded to the closest subaru dealer. they've been diagnosing it for 2 weeks now and this is what they tell me today.

wtf.

Complain Complain Complain.

You are going quietly which is what they want. Fight for the warranty replacement argue and continue to argue, make them get SOA on the phone. Thats a lot of money to pay without a fight. Whether your car is tuned or not, they need to prove that the you caused the issue to void the warranty. Not the other way around.

• 7 months later...

I am bumping this thread back up as the problem is still around. My car developed the flare and then hard thud on the 2-3 upshift yesterday. Not at low throttle or WOT, only at mid-throttle as others described.

Strange thing is this developed -suddenly- after 5,000 plus miles, and I am the only driver, no change in my habits.

Back to the dealer and they took care of it with a reflash to a revised TCM program. http://www.thel7.com/TSB/11-90-08.pdf

Seems fine now.

Update on my problems: After experiencing this thud/shudder problem 2nd to 3rd, took my car in for TCU relearn. It was done despite the tech test driving the car and not admitting to the problem. Despite the relearn, the problem still remained. Then, while turning in to a residential street near my house, the car transmission completely disengaged from the engine and all the service lights started to flash. Car was not moving, but the engine was still running. I turned the car off and then back on, and with the lights still flashing, was able to drive home. Took the car in and they took apart the transmission and identified the Valve solenoid as the problem - and "cleaned it" and put it back. Since then, the car has been driving very smoothly now at about 14,000 miles. I was told that if this doesn't solve the problem, they would replace the transmission, but so far so good.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived