LegacyGT.com

08 auto trans, already not working right

IMPORTIMAGE

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn mine does that too. 1-2 okay 2-3 it hits really hard it makes me car sick. Already took it to the dealer once like 2 months back and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Got an appt for friday for service and this remaining problem. This time im going to request that the technician sits in the car to feel this and I won't take no for an answer. I swear it feels like a grenade hit the tranny every time it shift to 3rd gear.

My wife's 08 Legacy GT auto recently started shifting very harshly on the 2-3 upshift. The car has 20K miles on it and this just started a couple of weeks ago. It's somewhat intermittent, but it is definitely getting worse (more frequent). Like others have mentioned it only seems to happen at mid-throttle settings, and it seems to happen more frequently once the car has warmed up.

We'll be making an appointment at one of the local Subaru dealers shortly. I hope they have a real, long-term fix for this.

Other than this, we love the car and it has performed flawlessly.

I've recently been having issues with my 08 auto trans as well. I have a 2.5i non-turbo. With 13k miles on it. Recently, I've noticed that as i slow down at a light the car will stutter when im at or around 10 mph and the tach will shoot up from about 800 rpm to 1300 rpm before slowing down smoothly as I come to a stop. Also, after making a turn, when I hit the gas again it seems to shift very roughly and kick into gear. This doesn't seem to happen in any other situation? Does anyone have any advice before I bring the car to the dealer to check it out? I'm afraid they are going to tell me its normal and theres nothing they can do and then my tranny is going to drop when its out of warranty.

Hey I have an 08 2.5I also, The tranny does shift kinda wired and stutter some but I do not see it as a big deal. I also see the rpm's jump up when it down shifts to a stop. I do not know if this is a problem or not. Also if your on some back roads and your wanting to give gas in a corner I would stay in maunal mode so you can select your gear. I also ran some back roads in just auto and as long as I was between 70-90 MPH it shifted up and down fast. But it seems that the gt owner are having the weird 3rd gear slam. I am not having that.

My wife's 08 Legacy GT auto recently started shifting very harshly on the 2-3 upshift. The car has 20K miles on it and this just started a couple of weeks ago. It's somewhat intermittent, but it is definitely getting worse (more frequent). Like others have mentioned it only seems to happen at mid-throttle settings, and it seems to happen more frequently once the car has warmed up.

We'll be making an appointment at one of the local Subaru dealers shortly. I hope they have a real, long-term fix for this.

Other than this, we love the car and it has performed flawlessly.

Update: We took the car to a local dealer and they were able to duplicate the problem. They did a reflash, relearn and "air bleed" (whatever that is) per TSB 11-90-08 (see post #72). So far, it's much better, but with less than 100 miles since we picked the car up, that doesn't guarantee it won't get worse over time. Here's hoping the reflash does the trick.

• 2 weeks later...
I have had this happening every since I bought it at 19,000. Got it home and looked up the harsh shift, so I had the dealer look at it with 21,000 on it. They reflashed and relearned the TCM, that fixed it until about 23,500. Now it is shifting in to 2 ok, but then it hits the shift point for third and it delays then abruptly shifts, or slams, into third. But man that 2500 miles that the tranny worked was nice... I wonder if the TCU has a base map like the ECU and if you could just turn off the learning program.

• Mega Users
Not to say that you guys aren't having transmission problems but for those who are unsure, the rear differential can make a pretty solid jolt. Happens to me when i start the car, back out of a space, put it in 1 in manual mode, and then start going. About 5 seconds after that, it feels like hitting a brick wall for just an instant. Just a thought

Archived