LegacyGT.com

Diesel?

RadoGT

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drive in alot of traffic and through mountains no less. And people in Europe tow their Caravans with MT cars. :)

Asked and answered. Try backing up a travel trailer/Caravan into a campsite, or backing a 30' sailboat down a pier to a hoist a few times and you won't pick a manual if you can help it.

Look I know as a college student you are the world's greatest expert on everything. I was almost 40 before I owned my first new auto trans car. When you hit 40, get back to me and let me know what you've got.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

well i love auto gearbox. I have been driving MT cars for as long as the auto gearboxes was bad. Now they are lovely and i don't see any reason to buy a MT car ever again. And add towing 1600kg caravan to that, and you know the answer :)

Diesel and no auto = bad.

I will soon get the complete spec for this 2.0d, but today Subaru Sweden said there was no plans on the combo diesel+auto gearbox :(

That was really bad, now i don't want any diesel because of the 5speed manual. With 5speed auto, i would buy one right now.

The diesel if ANY engine should have auto gearbox...

Not sure how well the CVT will handle the torque.

CVT's are not good for high torque applications with any kind of longevity. If they were, commercial vehicles would be using the hell out of them.

CVT's are not good for high torque applications with any kind of longevity. If they were, commercial vehicles would be using the hell out of them.

Yeah, I know. I read it from the original Subaru boxer diesel thread. Whether its valid or not, we can't know I guess.

Found this over at NASIOC (North American Subaru Impreza Owner's Club). According to the Japanese news source; Nikkan Kogyo, 4.3.07; Subaru is working on a CVT for their new boxer diesel, which will debut in the all-new 2009 diesel Forester, and diesel Legacy. Eventually the CVT will spread to all models.

At some point a CVT will be strong enough but current designs haven't made it there yet. I am sure one could easily be designed that was stout enough to handle the load, but I don't know if it would fit in the alloted space.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Subaru of America, get this car here now!!!! I will buy one in an instant. Manual transmission? PERFECT!

TDI - check

Manual tranny - check

Wagon - check

AWD - check

Japanese quality - check

This is the car that would make me forget about VW, Audi, and Mercedes for ever!!

;1654862']Fuel economy numbers (EU standards) for the Legacy Sedan Diesel (US MPG):

City: 7 l/100 km = 33.6 MPG

Highway: 4.8 l/100 km = 49 MPG

Combined: 5.6 l/100 km = 42 MPG

Bring it on. 49 MPG highway and all the other Subaru goodness ... who needs a stinking Hybrid:lol:

I wonder what the mpg in the turbo version will be. Hopefully by 2010 they will be here.

It is a turbo.

And keep in mind folks that these fuel economy numbers arent as strict as the U.S. EPA standards of testing. For comparison, in Germany the Prius is good for 56 mpg city.

Archived