LegacyGT.com

Diesel?

RadoGT

In Europe, Subaru is a small importer of Japanese cars. The reason that it's small is the high fuel consumption of it's petrol models and complete lack of a diesel.

Europe has been desperate for a Subaru diesel for years and will absorb every single diesel Subaru can make, and more. The brand is exceedingly well respected even by owners of other brands.

If SOA actually made the diesel engine in the US, it would give you more chance of getting one in North America.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another reason Subaru should expedite the diesel to the US market is to have something not everyone else has.

Time was AWD and Outback wagons were unique. Now lots of cars have some version of AWD and there are plenty of options for small SUV's or crossovers.

As a small nitch player it would be wise to arrive on the market sooner with something not everyone has.

if subaru started selling these in america rite now, it would, as you said, have a jump on the diesel cars that everyone will eventually be buying, like they are in europe. i think with the all wheel drive paired with the diesel engine, they could sell the hell out of these things!!!

After doing the math, I am not so eager. At my current mileage I would save about $100 per month in gas prices. But after selling my current obxt, I would owe approx. 12k or so. So, it would take 10 years to break even. No way I would do that and loose 2 seconds on the 0-60. So, after more thought, I will stick with my paid of car.

Here's why I am not even considering a diesel Subaru anymore

A five-speed manual transmission was designed specifically for use with the diesel in Europe, but is not likely to be offered in North America. Rather, the U.S. must wait for an automatic transmission that is under development; it will likely be the only option on this side of the ocean.

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/14557/2008-subaru-legacy-and-outback-go-diesel.html

Here's why I am not even considering a diesel Subaru anymore

http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/14557/2008-subaru-legacy-and-outback-go-diesel.html

Interesting article. That's a bummer. But diesel would be a strong enough incentive to convert it. Existing 6spd box would easily handle the diesel. Question is about the ratios, especially final drive ratio, but there are few choices.

God, how I hate the mentally challenged American dri.... err... mobile appliance operator.

God, how I hate the mentally challenged American dri.... err... mobile appliance operator.

I just don't understand when/why the American driver stopped driving stick. However, I guess it is to my benefit because I don't have to let any of my roomates drive my car. :)

I just think that SOA would want to offer a MT and offer better fuel economy/acceleration. Hello CAFE standards. 22 lbs doesn't seem like that big of a sacrafice to have a 6MT or they could just offer the 5MT in the European model. Or even better, how bout the 4EAT? :lol:

The more I think about it, the more I think a 6MT is a waste on a diesel. Diesel engine doesn't rev very high, usually ~5000 rpm. With a 6MT you will be shifting all the time. Diesels also have broad and flat torque curve, so there really is no benefit to be gain from a close ratio 6MT. Either way Acura will beat Subaru to the market with a diesel AWD, the new TSX diesel should be aviliable in the US by 2009.

The more I think about it, the more I think a 6MT is a waste on a diesel. Diesel engine doesn't rev very high, usually ~5000 rpm. With a 6MT you will be shifting all the time. Diesels also have broad and flat torque curve, so there really is no benefit to be gain from a close ratio 6MT. Either way Acura will beat Subaru to the market with a diesel AWD, the new TSX diesel should be aviliable in the US by 2009.

Yeah, close ratio 6MT might not be best, but SpecB 6MT is not that close ratio anyway. Drove one recently.

Great news about Acura. SOA has stopped being trend setter a while ago and became (a lame) follower. If Acura is first, then Subaru actually might follow...

Not that excited about Acura/Honda diesels myself. I wish car and driver would put the article up on their website of the Civic diesel. I was able to do 0-60 in 8.5 seconds, but at an average of 33 mpg, its no less thirsty than a Corolla.

Regarding 5MT vs. 6MT for the diesel:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/215319/subaru_legacy.html

It’s fast, too, with a 0-60mph sprint time of 8.5 seconds. There’s plenty of turbo-assisted torque, and the car pulls up hills with verve, while offering lots of overtaking ability. The trouble is, you need to be in the correct gear: the standard five-speed box has very long ratios – and a notchy shift, too – which can take the edge off the responses. A six-speed transmission would make the most of the engine’s flexibility; this should arrive within 18 months.

The problem is most American treat driving as a birth right. While in other countries driver's license is expensive and the test is hard. Those drivers invested a lot more time, effort and moeny for the privilege to drive. As the result they have a lot more respect for the road, other drivers, cars and the pure joy of driving. And for some, part of that joy is derived from rowing your own stick.

Archived