LegacyGT.com

RECALL: Fan Relay & ECU Replacement

Hello Everyone,

I recently took my car in for the fan relay recall. They replaced the relay, but the fan was still running. This ment that they would have to replace the ECU. Thank god that they didn't have it in stock. When I went back to pick up the car, I spoke briefly with the mechanic. I told him I had a modified map on my ECU. He said, "no worries...before you drop it off revert it back to stock. I'll do the swap and then you can upload the map back on it!". What a nice guy. He knew exactly what I was talking about. He said, "remember when you drop off the car again make sure to bring all your keys, remotes and the metal tags. I said, "Suurrreeee!!!". I guess if you replace the ecu the codes in the key and remote will need to be changed as well. Boy that must be an expensive recall for SUBARU!!!

My only concerns are...will this NEW ECU except my Accessport Map. Did Subaru redesign the ECU entirely to make it impossible for the Accessport/or Other Aftermarket systems to work. Has anyone gone through this entire process with success. Or is it the same type of ECU, but newer. Something I don't have to worry about. With all the stage 2 mods AND reverting back to stock settings...would that fowl up my car...making it hard to drive...will it damage anything? OR AM I JUST PARANOID!!!

It's my baby...thanks for your input,

CRAZY KEN

You're paranoid. Just don't drive it crazy (pun intended) while in stock mode. About 500 of us have had our ecu's replaced. Do like the mechanic said, revert back to stock and bring in your extra keys.

BTW, expect to be waiting several weeks for the new ecu. SOA is replacing so many of them, they're on back-order. I waited at least 2-3 weeks for mine. Also, be sure your battery is fully charged as the cooling fans will run the entire time (20+ min) on the battery while you are reverting back to stock.

I've done the whole process while Stage2. Just use the "Revert To Stock" function to unmarry the AP before dropping it off. This will tell the AP that it is free to marry another vehicle. The new ECU is just that. It's an exact hardware replacement with a new software load on it. If you take it easy on the way to the dealership you shouldn't throw any CEL codes. After they get done replacing the ECU just go across the street or back home and re-marry you AP, load your maps and you're good to go. My fan was on for almost two years before the recall came out and after the ECU replacement it ran like new(that's a good thing for me mine never had the stutter problem).
Let's kick this pig!

NHLEG- "be sure your battery is fully charged as the cooling fans will run the entire time (20+ min) on the battery while you are reverting back to stock."

-Thanks for the tip!!!

You guys are the best. Yeah, I as well have been running with the fan on for almost 2 years. No problem. Any differences in performance with this new ECU? Should I replace the fan's motor, since its been working over triple duty???

Thanks again...NOW I am calm,

CK

well least yours still work,

sojax replaced my relays and 1 fan runs constant, 1 doesnt come on at all, .......

result?...well if car sits for more than 10 minutes or in stop and go traffic and its over 90 outside, the engine will overheat

it was so nice that this happened the day after i got the windows tinited so i had to turn the heater on with the windows up in the florida summer, and i was in grid lock traffic for about a half hour

:spin:

As for the fans. They should be covered by the same recall or related to it and done "under warranty" should they fail. If the ECU/Relay issue burned them up then SOA should replace them for free. I had the same concern since I know both of the fans on mine ran all the time for two plus years.

A good way to test the fans after the ECU and relays have been replaced is to turn the key to the "ON" position but don't start the car. If the fan comes on and stays on it still needs some more fixing. It may start and stop like it did when you installed the AP. Another way is to start the car when it(the car) is cold with the hood up and see if the fan comes on too. If it doesn't you can see if at least one fan works by turning on the A/C. This should kick on at least the secondary/aux. fan and may even make both fans run.

JOE_1985: Take it to the dealership they will fix it all for free. It doesn't matter what you have done to the car since it's a model wide recall/issue. The problem you have means that your ECU needs to be replaced too.

Let's kick this pig!

You may need to send it back to Cobb to get it reset. Try hooking it up and if it tells you that it can't communicate with the ECU or if it says that it's already installed on another vehicle, then you will need to send it in. I almost always unmarry my AP before going to the dealer for just that reason. I don't care if they find out that I have one; I just don't want them to do a flash or anything without my knowledge and lock up my AP.
Let's kick this pig!

oh they better, its going in wensday

its just the aux fan running :eek:

Oh they should, they're really good. Got my car taken care of very well(after the 3 month backorder:spin:).

They get great marks and a letter to Subaru about how good they are in the near future

You may need to send it back to Cobb to get it reset. Try hooking it up and if it tells you that it can't communicate with the ECU or if it says that it's already installed on another vehicle, then you will need to send it in. I almost always unmarry my AP before going to the dealer for just that reason. I don't care if they find out that I have one; I just don't want them to do a flash or anything without my knowledge and lock up my AP.

I'll try when I get it home. I took it in for a wheel bearing failure, and when it was done the said,"oh yeah we need all your keys with the little metal fob, we replaced the fan and pcm under an open recall."

OOH - ok, theyre on Back order - I went to Cherry hill subabru (literrally down the street from SOA corp hq.) and Ive been waitng (this will be week 3..) for a while with no word

Sigh - least I have no AP to worry about

If they found out you had an AP wouldnt that void most of the power train warrenty?

Yup, the early 05's may need to have the fan relays and the ECU replaced due to an error in the ECU code that left the fan running anytime the key was in the " ON" position or started. The easiest way to check for yourself is to go out to the car and put the key in the ignition. Then turn it forward to the "ON" position and see if the fans come on and stay on even when the car isn't running. If they stay on you need to get it fixed. If they start and stop it may or may not have been fixed. If the don't come on at all it either didn't have the problem or it has been repaired.

You should also be able to find out in the maint. records at www.mysubaru.com

That or just call the service manager at a dealership and give them your vin.

Let's kick this pig!

It wasn't an error in the software of the ECU. It was a physical electrical issue caused slowly by a poorly designed relay component. Once the failure has occurred it's permanent.

Your right. My bad. I should quit TWI(Typing While Intoxicated).:redface:

The ECU would be fine unless the relay had been bad for an extended period of time and damaged the ECU. I must have been thinking about the st-st-stutter issued or the 05 and 05.5 year ECU differences.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived