LegacyGT.com

Is this a misfire??? Video inside

All,

I threw a P0302 CEL but had to unmarry my AP before I took it to the dealer. The code obviously went away during the uninstall so the dealer did not believe me that there is a misfire. I want them to fix the problem as I'm still under warranty for another 1000 miles (~35K). As well, I was all ready to install my stage II parts this weekend. That may have to be put on hold.

The car has had a rough idle and the studder issue ever since I got it. The idle has recently gotton worse (violent wobble, no pattern) and then it threw the code. I have been stage I for over 10K.

Check out the video below...

05 LGT miss? video by mschmidt - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/MOV019961-1.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vidmg@@AMEPARAM@@mg@@AMEPARAM@@v238/mschmidt/MOV019961-1

Is this a misfire (keep in mind I have Hog-zawst stage 1)?

How else can I convince the dealer of the problem?

Can't they run a diagnostic and measure rough idle? Shouldn't that be enough? Thanks in advance.

Mike

No, I guess I made the mistake that they would do thier jobs. I will when I go back though.

I had the ECU replaced with the fan relay about 6 months ago and they said I got the latest cal. I don't really care about the ECU flash since it did this at stage 1 TDC and I plan to go stage II soon.

A rough idle is something that will be difficult to get the dealer to do anything with at first. They will make all sorts of excuses...like "oh there is some bad gas in there", or something along those lines. I wish you luck, but I really do think a cylinder misfire would be covered under powertrain, so you still have time. I say drive the piss out of it for 100-200 miles (because you reset the sensors flashing back to stock) and see if you can get the CEL to come up again.

"If it's not reproduceable, it's not a problem" --> Biggest bunch of BS ever.

Update: Went to the dealer to get the gaskets and dropped by service to complain a little more... exact comments "We like them a little more broke than this" BS.

All this as I was sitting in my car as my teeth are chattering from the idle. So I left... hammered it coming out of the lot and bam... CEL. It could not have come a better time! Turned around, pulled in with a smile on my face. They pulled the code, but I had to run. 1:00 meeting. He said he will call me to make the next appt. Can I damage anything else driving with this rough idle?

yes, flashing cruise type CEL. I will take it easy.

Legacy05,

Did they all go at once or were they random? How did you manage the CEL, AP, dealer issues? Were your stage 2 parts installed already?

Mike

Just to be thorough I removed the hog-zawst and took another video:

lgt no hog video by mschmidt - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v238/mschmidt/Untitled.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vidmg@@AMEPARAM@@mg@@AMEPARAM@@v238/mschmidt/Untitled

I used new gaskets and tightened the bolts down really tight and still have a minor leak on both sides. Probably because there were some small pieces of gasket leftover on the sealing surface of the flanges (tried to sand off) from the initial install and the flanges looked a little corroded and warped. Bummer.

Mike

The first time I was at stage 1 and I umarried my AP ... the second time was with my car stock ... and they replaced it again ..

The I went straight to stage 2, and the shop that now does my work replaced the injector for me .. but then my factory warranty had run out :) The 4th time it happened, they just replaced all 4 at once and I haven't had issues since. I had a used set of STi injectors put in.

Even if they state "more broken like this" make sure its noted on the invoice when you pick it up. Once its past warranty they are on the hook to fix it since you reported the problem prior to warranty expiration.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: No more miss! Runs smooth, sounds great again and the idle is as smooth as can be! It was a bad injector. As well, they replaced all 4 as I convinced them if one went bad that another may as well and it would be easier on all of us to get them replaced now while they were in there... Woot!

Archived