LegacyGT.com

Is this a misfire??? Video inside

A rough idle is something that will be difficult to get the dealer to do anything with at first. They will make all sorts of excuses...like "oh there is some bad gas in there", or something along those lines. I wish you luck, but I really do think a cylinder misfire would be covered under powertrain, so you still have time. I say drive the piss out of it for 100-200 miles (because you reset the sensors flashing back to stock) and see if you can get the CEL to come up again.

"If it's not reproduceable, it's not a problem" --> Biggest bunch of BS ever.

misfire usually is not covered under powertrain.

spark plugs, no. injectors, no. coil packs, no.

if it is a run-of-the-mill misfire.... it's one of those 3. does your car shake a lot at idle when you see the needle bouncing around?

I had a misfire and I had to pay out of pocket for everything even though my car had 53k miles on it. i found a forum member with re-flow-tested injectors for about 1/5 of what the dealer wanted and he installed them for me for free! THANKS SNODORK. (I saved about 500 bucks right there. no joke)

spark plugs, injectors, coil packs are not covered. found that out the hard way.

car for sale. PM me!

With all these injector issues. Is there a good aftermarket injector that would be a better replacement than stock? My warranty is up so this is out of pocket.

you plan on modding your car?

car for sale. PM me!

• 3 weeks later...

Alternate misfire/rough idle fix, especialy if you are out of warranty!!

Hi to all, first post actually, but I finally have something major to contribute! Long time car enthusiast and this is my second Subie turbo. The misfire and rough idle have been bringing me down for about 12k miles, I have 50k right now on a 05 LGT manual. I worked on this issue for 3 months and just couldn't quit as I have never found a problem I couldn't fix yet, and I am not going to start bringing my car tp the dealer at the ripe old age of 40!!

My misfire was so bad, that I was thinking of getting rid of the car! Everyone who rode in it laughed, "what does this thing have a built in massager?"

I brought the car to the local stealer, as I recently had the ECM replaced for the recall, about the same time the misfire started getting worse. He "diagnosTed my car" for 90 minutes to tell me "needs new plugs, $365 labour PLUS the plugs at $20 each, if that doesn't fix it, we will go from there" LOL! Basically 5 minutes with a DTC reader and PO303 came up, "misfire, cylinder #3" $109 down the drain.

So, being out of warranty, I went ahead and did the spark plug change, $44 (vs. $80) for the 4 plugs, at that same dealer's parts department, LOL. At the same time , I changed coil locations from #1 and #3 to see if the error would follow. NO CHANGE, still a PO303, #3 cylinder misfire.

Well, thanks to this tread, I started looking at the injector issue. I first started by changing the #1 and #3 injectors, to see again, if the error would follow to cylinder #1.

Now the fun part, while taking the coolant tank out, (PITA, lots of cursing and spilt anti-freeze, even after the tank is drained dry!!!) I noticed that the #3 injector is in perfect location to catch all drips and spills from the coolant tank's cap area. So I assumed, could be a bad connection from lots of anti-freeze corroading the connectors pins. YEP! In addition, being an audio geek, I happened to have some great electrical contact conditioner around, (Caig ProGold) so I applied some onto the pins with a pointed q-tip before attaching them. I could see from the marks on the pins that only a little of the metal was contacting. The misfire was also intermittent, so this made perfect sense.

Simply put, the problem vanished, idles perfectly smooth now, error codes are all gone, car gets 3-4 mpg better and runs like a, um, 250hp turbo!! Cost, $4.99 for the (T-25 needed) Torx connector set needed to take off the injector! Cost saved $600+, at least.

I am a happy subie owner once again, if anybody is out of warranty and has this problem, give this a try before spending tons of green on plugs, coils, or injectors. Total time 60 minutes for both injectors. If I see enough interest, I might do a injector removal post.

Regards and thanks, Soyinside

• 1 year later...

In my case (05 w/2nd Stage), it was PO303- twice a week for two months, then I found that thread but since my budget is tight and I wasn't sure (only 30k miles) so I gave a try the injector cleaner. STP- did nothing, so on the next tank I went with Lucas .... And it looks like my cell is gone- it's two months after and still nothing, btw I also went back from Shell to Sunoco.

That's my "2cents" in this thread but worked for me and instead new injectors I've got new set of winter tires;)

Archived