LegacyGT.com

What’s wrong with stock RE92 tires?

alpinefun

There's nothing really wrong with them, depending on what you're looking for. They get good mileage and are relatively quiet. When it comes time to replace them, there are better options for less money. If you want ultimate performance in the summer, dedicated summers are much better. If you drive in alot of snow, dedicated snows would be much better. For the average driver living someplace w/out tons of snow, who doesn't get too nuts with the spirited driving, they will do fine. If they seem ok to you, you can probably pick up used ones from people who upgrade for $200-$250 per set, and have cheap tires.

They rate at the bottom of almost every parameter you can think of. Its like that slacker at the office. They work but they are good at nothing. Its the only tire I can think of that makes a 12inch vented brake system look like piss. Its also the only tire that I can think of that slid laterally on dry asphalt as I was jacking the car up. I swear I pulled into the driveway straight after jacking the rear left of car up it was crooked. Talk about piss poor grip. Imagine if the car was actually moving :0

[size=2]I had RE92s as OEM tires on my Honda Prelude 2001, and now I got them again on the LGT. Ah well...[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]In all fairness, when you drive reasonably and/or normally, the RE92s are OK. They do their job not too incompetently.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]However, as soon as you get into a bit more spirited driving (which would be expected from an owner of a LGT :) ), you quickly realize they aren't good sport tires at all.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]I think their worst weakness is wet pavement. They slide, they don't grip in acceleration, and they awaken the ABS system much too soon and often upon braking.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]In short, I do agree there is better choices for your money out there than these RE92s.[/size]

It only took one panic stop in the rain to convince me these tires are far from even adequate. Maybe ok for a minivan (although I wouldn't do that either) but not good for a performance sedan. Very disappointing tires. I replaced them with Proxes 4s which are harder to lock up in the rain than the RE92As when it's dry. :) tom

tom :)

AWD cars should't slide in the rain when gently pushed in a corner. In the dry, the suspension keeps the tires square with the road, so in the rain that means the tires are the culprit. At least they look cooler than the ones on the WRX. :rolleyes:

The problem is that the RE92 is an all season tire. All season tire means mediocre in all seasons. When designing the tire the manufacturer has to make compromises between performance and bad weather drivability. This means that for those who want to tear up the canyon the tire isn't going to perform as well as a dedicated performance tire. And for those snowy days, the tires aren't going to perform as well as a dedicated snow tire.

[quote name='Euclid']The problem is that the RE92 is an all season tire. All season tire means mediocre in all seasons. When designing the tire the manufacturer has to make compromises between performance and bad weather drivability. This means that for those who want to tear up the canyon the tire isn't going to perform as well as a dedicated performance tire. And for those snowy days, the tires aren't going to perform as well as a dedicated snow tire.[/QUOTE] It is definately the worst all season tire that I have ever experienced. I agree all season tires are supposed to be mediocre. However all season tires are not supposed to be all out HORRIBLE!

I'm sure they get a deal on them and thats why we get stuck with them. I certainly would never BUY a pair for what they charge. I also suspect that they use them to bump up mpg estimates. They are however a culprit in why they tend to get lackluster skidpad results in the tests. On the other hand, most other all seasons I have tried weren't fantastic either. Dunlop Sp SPort 5000's did much better in the snow on my wrx and had much better braking, but had relatively slow steering response and were semi sloppy seeming (when new--they get a little better at the squirrely feeling once broken in), those conti extreme's didn't wow me either. I wouldn't mind trying some of the proxes though. But there is a world of difference between these and summers or snows in the different seasons.

Bridgestone makes Potenza RE950's as well, they perform quite a bit better in all conditions and cost about the same amount. Though they might lose a *hair* bit of mileage due to greater friction of the tire, perhaps that being their reasoning for using RE92's, makes mileage look better. Although I'd say the 92's won't help sales if people are bench racing in magazines where the tires will affect handling and safety procedures the most.

Anyone tried the Pilot Sport A/S's? They seem to be a very sporting all season tire. Very spendy, so they'd better perform well! I replaced my 16" wheels/tires on my 'Rex with a set of Kuhmo 712s in 18" - made the single biggest different of any mod I've ever done. Wet traction is awesome.

Archived