LegacyGT.com

What’s wrong with stock RE92 tires?

alpinefun

These will be my stock replacement tires.. for summer [url]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&fromCompare1=yes&vehicleSearch=true&tireModel=ECSTA+MX&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=145YR7EMX&[/url] for winter [url]http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS-50&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=145R7BZWS50&fromCompare1=yes[/url]

[font='Times New Roman']So I have never ordered tires off the web…how’s it work? Who puts them on, balances them, etc? Is this price included in the cost of the tire from the web? [font='Times New Roman']If not what’s a ballpark on putting them on the rims? [/font][/font]

[quote name='rclark0032'][font=Times New Roman]So I have never ordered tires off the web…how’s it work? Who puts them on, balances them, etc? Is this price included in the cost of the tire from the web? [font=Times New Roman]If not what’s a ballpark on putting them on the rims? [/font][/font][/QUOTE] The last time I bought tyres from the tirerack i had them drop shipped at a local tyre place, Wheelworks if I remember correctly. I believel they have a drop ship option when you order them online through tirerack which means they ship them directly to the tyre store. Mounting and balancing cost me $80. Dave.

[quote name='Gumby']Mounting and balancing cost me $80. Dave.[/QUOTE] $80!!!111?!1 Jesus, That's insane to pay for mounting and balancing. It should be no more than $10 a tire.. I get my tires mounted and balanced at Big-O (who do a good job of not scratching rims) and it's $16.95 an axle. Also tirerack will dropship to Big-o.

Ok I'm on the re92 suck bandwagon now after a 90 degree turn at full throtle into a powerslide and fishtail. when they were brand new this was fine but after like 5000 miles i have realized how much they suck. I should rip my Nokians off my Camry give it the re92 and sell it with those.

Sorry Alpinefun, I was just poking fun at the RE-92, I never miss a chance. The Toyo Proxes 4, Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are all very good A/S tires. I plan to buy one of those sets next year. If you want something with more winter capability, the undisputed king is the Nokian WR. Hope this helps... Sly

[quote name='theJrod']Anyone tried the Pilot Sport A/S's? They seem to be a very sporting all season tire. Very spendy, so they'd better perform well![/QUOTE] Yes, they are worth it, just dont rag on them too hard.. they have a high treadwear rating, so the compound is pretty useable even for track days. But to get your money's worth, definitely drive them on the conservative side to make them last through the snow and summer days. Keefe
Keefe

What's wrong with the RE92's? Poor adhesion under braking, very poor lateral grip on damp, wet, or snowy roads. Tread pattern may have been chosen for mileage and noise-reduction but they severly compromise the capability of AWD. Put ContiExtremeContacts on our 00 LGT last winter and now we drive circles around lame SUVs in bad weather.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

With the Outback you are more limited in what tires choices you have due to the 225/55/17 tires. No Toyo Proxes 4, No Pirelli P-Zero. You can get the Pilot A/S but they are very expensive ($160-$200 per tire). Take a look at the Falken Ziex ZE-512. I have them on mine. Couldn't be more pleased and only about $100 per tire and very light (23lb per tire).

Actually you can get the P-Zero Nero in 235/55-17. They are identical in size to the Pilot Sport A/S 225/55-17. They actually have a very slightly smaller circumference, so they will work just as well. This is what I'm planning to do. If you want to go to 18", you can get the Pilot Sport A/S, the Kuhmo ECSTA ASX, and the BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDWS, all in 235/50-18. 245/45/-18 would also work. Sly

Noticed early this morning with below freezing temps and slightly snow covered roads, these tires seemed to engage ABS too early under medium braking. I am saving up for soom Blizzak WS-50's on steelies before the weather gets too bad. Used them on my Del Sol through Tire Rack and were excellent Snow / Ice tires. problem is, they are asking 1K for the set shipped to my door. I work nights so I see the roads before they got plowed or salted many a time. I beleive it's worth it. Will probably replace the RE-92's first chance I get - thanks for all of your help folks.

I've put 2000 miles on my RE92's and they have served me well, even taking them up to 115 and two rainstorms, including today (not at the same time though!) They're not really that bad a tire for what they do, it's just that if you're looking for all-out performance, you will not like these tires. The RE92 shod Legacies I drove at the Ride and Drive were decent in the autocross, and feel as composed as the Yoko Avid H4's I have on my Camry (which have a similar tread pattern, coincidentally) . Remember that the low rolling resistance tire Honda specified for the Insight was of course, the RE92. Reading this thread, my hunch is that Subaru as well as the rest of Japan Inc. puts these tires on their cars to deliver inflated mileage estimates, at the cost of performance.

[quote name='sduford']They're fine if you're only expectation is that they will provide a buffer between the rims and the pavement.[/QUOTE]Good one! Still laughing. :lol: SBT The RE92s are an adequate tire for open highway cruising and jaunts around town. These tires quickly dictate just how far they can be pushed and define a very narrow performance envelope for an automobile who's chassis is capable of so much more. Having run RE92s in the snow on two of my Subes, 1 96 OBS and 1 98 LGT (both with LSDs), I would not run the 05 LGT RE92s anywhere near snow for the simple reason that they just don't "grip" enough and they feel very squirrelly in slush and packed snow. Not at all confidence inspiring. If you are going to be in the snow alot, then the recommendations from others on here WRT the Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin Pilot Alpin and Pirelli P-Zero Neros are all good recommendations for their respective operating environs. Don't forget the Dunlop Graspics DS2s which are fairly well rated as are the Yokohama Avid H4S All Seasons. Again, it's what type of driving are you mostly going to be doing that should determine your tire purchase. Even $600 spread over two possibly three seasons is a small investment in winter safety compared to what, IMHO is an inadequate stock (RE92A) All Season tire. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='firedawgs']Every one I knew with the same tires on their WRX changed their tires out. They all said it was the biggest differnce and best upgrade made. Most tires on ours are only going to last 20-30K miles anyway. I am going to wait until then.[/QUOTE] I hope you drive like old people f^ck, I wouldn't push the car with these on. Get some new tires.....your accelerator will thank me.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Archived