LegacyGT.com

Sunroof Hack? (close faster!)

Canon20D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like it closing half way, I find the stop positions to be well thought out. Sometimes I open it all the way, sometimes I don't open it all the way. It's nice to have it stop half way on closing to reduce wind noise on the highway.

Agreed, although depending on wind conditions of the day, I quite often find that the "half-way" position creates more wind noise for me.

But then again...I usually leave my sunroof closed because of the glare it casts on my LCD Screen (because I'm too broke to afford a transflective one ;))

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I hate the 1/2 way mark. When I'm driving, I either have the sunroof 100% open or 100% closed. I hate when I reach my destination and have to wait for the sunroof. I also hate not having a one-touch up window for the driver's window. It gets pretty annoying at tollbooths trying to accelerate past everyone to avoid congestion and trying to shut my window at the same exact time.

I hate the 1/2 way mark. When I'm driving, I either have the sunroof 100% open or 100% closed. I hate when I reach my destination and have to wait for the sunroof. I also hate not having a one-touch up window for the driver's window. It gets pretty annoying at tollbooths trying to accelerate past everyone to avoid congestion and trying to shut my window at the same exact time.

Get a speedpass man, then no window open to begin with! (just kiddin, but seriously)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the half-open. It doesn't make sense to me; Reason being that if it were truly meant to be half-open as a setting, you'd think that it would go to half-open on the OPEN-CYCLE, rather than the close-cycle.

It would make more sense to me to have a 2-touch open (1 hold for Half-way, then again for all-the-way open) and a 1-touch close. Pretty much the opposite of what we have right now.

But then again, what do I know. My Mother's Audi Q7 has eight (8) positions IIRC for her sunroof. Granted the sunroof is almost half of the car's entire roof, but still. The wind noise created in/with those intermittent settings is tremendous and generally unbearable.

i would imagine that the stupid 1/2 open is for "those who like 1/2 way open, not All the way cause its to big" and 1/2 close is because of the cat in sunroof video.. Not really for cats, but if your hands out, neck...

course if you close the sunroof with your hands/ head out the sunroof, you deserve to get caught in it!

My wagon goes vent, then 3/4 of the way back, and then 100%. I assume that the 3/4 is the default 100% on the sedan, but since mine is bigger.... it stops and subaru didnt want to reinvent the wheel so they just make you press "open" one more time..course is Doesnt stop till 3/4 closed. Then vent then closed :p 3 pushes!! argh i hate it!

Yeah, I mean I understand giving the owner the "choice" to have it either half or full open...

BUT it just doesn't make sense to me that (on my Sedan) it goes all the way open on the open cycle, and half-closed on the close cycle. Maybe it's my engineering eduction that makes me think this way (what I propose is the logical way), is to have 2-clicks open, 1-click shut.

If I want it half-open, I should be able to OPEN it half-way. Instead, I have to completely open it, then close it half way.

Am I the only one that thinks it's backwards?

Honestly, the 2-click wouldn't bother me a bit if it was on the open-swing, because it would be when I get in the car that I have to wait; rather than when I'm in a hurry to get out of the car and have to wait to close it twice.

Let's say you are driving around the city with it open all the way (1 click open) and merge onto a highway... it's noisy so you want to close it a bit... with the 2 click close you can do this. If it was 1 click close, 2 clicks open as you propose, then you'd have to close it then open it half wa again.. :lol:

Hah, I guess I understand your logic. But that's on a case-by-case basis. What if you were on the highway with it half-closed and drove into the city and wanted it fully open? You'd have to close it, and then re-open it. So ha!

Haha, but then you'd need to have 1/2 way points both ways to satisfy both cases, which would be even more idiotic than now.

I guess I just don't use half-open. In my car it creates more wind noise than fully-open. I'm also just not a half-open kind of guy. I don't like things half-way hah, one way or the other is the only way for me. It bugs me to see my sunroof half-open out of the corner of my eye.

Id like to hear the outcome of this,

OMG That video is awesome, I love the whole head falling inside the car too.

Just.. so... graphic.. can't... stop... replaying...

lmao i had cat jump on my real shelf once when i drove for Domino's many moons ago, i didnt notice the cat was chillin on my rear deck the whole time till i pulled into the Domino's parking lot! :lol:

i had to drive back to the spot and just place the cat there where i made the delivery! :spin:

Hey guys, Thanx for the support. :)

I have an update. ercdvs and I met to attempt the original hack on his '05 sedan...........it didn't work. However, there is some very good news. Unlike the wagon the sedan has the motor and module easily accessible, so we took it out and apart. We tried a series of tests and have made some progress, unfortunately it's raining here in Philly (not the best weather for a sunroof hack :lol:) and we are without a good place to continue.

In a nutshell, this is a do-able project. I just need the right weather and time with an '05+. If I can't get around to doing this here, then I will definately do it when I hit D.C. where I have a garage and plenty of '05+s. Stay tuned for further info. :)

CSTMIZR... yeah.. the more I think about it, that mystery part be jumpered past really wasn't a control of any sort... everything must be in the IC..

In my limited research.. I think the idea that there is a timer to control the open & close makes sense (5 sec open / 2.5 sec close x2 for the pause) due to the fact that sometimes when I go to open or close, the window pauses in a strange place.. Timer not resetting ?

We are left with 2 choices... we need to map out that IC, or we need to remove the other motor connector and try your original idea... but we might as well put leads on to monitor voltage,etc to see fit that even is the case.

I'm willing to drive around with a closed sunroof and no control for a few days..

I'll say this about yesterday though..

at least we can put things back the way they were ;)

^^^I was thinking the same things, I did some research on the IC and other components and came up with some simple info that should help us.

Yeah, if you'd be willing to let me hold on to the motor and module for a couple of days, I have a power supply and switches that I could use to mock the control. That would give me the much needed time to map the thing out and see about a solution.

PM sent.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
One more thing.. the wagon sunroof stops part way while opening so you can close it again without it catching the shade and pulling it forward...

I counted 3 stop on mine today from full open....1 at 1/2 close and the 2nd at 3/4 and the 3 click of the switch closes the thing.

Archived