LegacyGT.com

Mods for mid-high 12-second Quarter Mile

I'm not planning on running at the track anytime soon, but that's pretty much where I want to be (I haven't even bought the car yet, and I am working a mod path for the next year... :lol:). I've seen a variety of people w/ vastly different mods reach 12's so here was what I was thinking: (05 GT MT Sedan)

Car already has accessport, I'm going to be adding a full turboback exhaust, possibly an unequal length header (preferences on these would be great). It appears that a few people have broken 12's with these mods alone on 05's with manual trannys. Soo just to be safe...

In addition, I was looking at the VF40/18G combo that everyone seems to love which can be run w/ stock top mount intercooler and I would probably just do a fuel pump to be safe (any other recommendations?). Anything I'm missing here? I'm not looking to build a track car, but I have owned mid-12 second cars in the past, and that's pretty much what I'm expecting out of this car when its completed (however long that will take...)

p.s. prior owner had clutch/flywheel replaced by subaru. Will making the kind of power levels that I'm looking for ruin a subaru clutch? Thanks for the help everyone!

p.s. I have owned WRX's and am fairly familiar w/ subarus and turbo cars, I've just always had the 2.0L and after a couple of grand worth of mods, it was still in the mid-high 13's...

Yeah my Wrx (both) have been catless, doesn't bother me one bit, and the local emissions station does nothing but compliment my exhaust when I go there. :lol:

TMIC was one of those things I was on the fence about. I had a big ol' TXS top-mount on my wrx and then someone came in with a stocker and my exact mods otherwise and dyno'd 5 more horsepower then me. But if its necessary, I will do it. I have also saw a few threads in this forum where stockers are coming apart which is pretty scary. With the setup mentioned above, are stock injectors okay to run? I certainly don't want to short myself on fuel, but I'd like to avoid doing injectors unless they are necessary.

With the setup mentioned above, are stock injectors okay to run? I certainly don't want to short myself on fuel, but I'd like to avoid doing injectors unless they are necessary.

Depends on the person and the turbo but yes :)

Everyone is so helpful today... :lol:

What turbo would you recommend. And supporting mods? That's kinda what I was getting at. Recommendations. Thanks!

That all depends on how much $$ you have and how fast you want to go. You be more helpful and so will I ;)

I'm on a budget. Not trying to spend a crapload of money here. I know there are big turbos galore that will make it run crazy times. I'm basically looking for running 12's on a budget, probably piecing together used parts on the board as I go. I'm just trying to find out what I should be looking for first.

Megan downpipe

Megan headers

Megan catback

Used TMIC

Used AccesPort

Tune

This would come out to what... like $2500, maybe $3000? And that should get you there I'd think.

[edit]

It's worth pointing out a new turbo would in fact be cheaper... by itself.

But with supporting mods? You can get in the 12s on the VF40 just fine.

I have been working on a plan for high power for low price. I will tell you my initial plan, but don't tell anyone else or I will have to kill you ;)

Gutted stock pipes ($25 in parts)

New Gaskets ($70)

Meth Kit ($500)

Tactrix Cable ($89)

ProTune (OpenECU) ($500)

$ 1184

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I have been working on a plan for high power for low price. I will tell you my initial plan, but don't tell anyone else or I will have to kill you ;)

Gutted stock pipes ($25 in parts)

New Gaskets ($70)

Meth Kit ($500)

Tactrix Cable ($89)

ProTune (OpenECU) ($500)

$ 1184

That is a great budget plan; it will probably put the car into the low 13s consistently in typical conditions.

:orly:

A grounding kit...forget everything else this alone will add the power you need!!!

<as seen on TV>

Hell man, I'm not going to pretend like it's a guarantee, but there have been a lucky few that get in the 12s on the VF40.

Lets not forget about Garnet-Red-In-De :lol:

well, honestly, if you've got a 5MT, you can do an STI swap for about $1100 if you do most of the installing yourself. used STI parts and pieces. a good tune for $150 and a TBE (if you go MR, it's pretty cheap). I'd say about $2000 - $2500 and you should be able to hit mid to high 12's.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived