LegacyGT.com

squeaking rear suspensino

Beanboy

I finally got the chance to get my car into the shop to inspect what my noise is. I was thinking R/R shock ever since I first heard the noise. I was even shopping for replacements + springs or even coilovers. I was also thinking maybe it was the bushings as most people have said.

I found something entirely different. It appears the bracket that the right bushing mounts to was bent causing the swaybar to rub on the axle shaft. I used a jack to attempt to straighten it out. The noise is gone. Crappy cell phone pics coming up...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee120/highspeed11/DSC00094.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee120/highspeed11/DSC00096.jpg

Looks like this is pretty common. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49672&highlight=swaybar+bracket

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ Thats the sway bar mount twisting and bending from the torque of the larger/stiffer bar. This is a common problem when using aftermarket rear sways on Legacys. Several companies (Cobb, AVO, etc.) make stiffening brackets to stop this from happening. It is highly recommended that you use the brackets on all aftermarket rear sway bar installations. I have even seen a Spec B where the stock rear sway bar was enough to tear out of the mount.

i'll have to take a look at mine. i'm getting a "crunch" sound (squeak?...its not high pitched) from my rear left, have been for some time. i thought it was the suspension but i swapped struts/springs and it remains. i swapped the OEM bar for the JDM OEM bar (with bushings) and noise remained. i'm guessing its still the OEM JDM bushings that are making the noise, but i'll take look at that bent bracket..

I've had the "crunch" noise for some time now too. It started with the right rear early on (around 30K) and now both sides do it. Stock suspension. Very similar to the other descriptions here on the board -- happens more with slow compression/decompression like going down a driveway or speed bump.

I've tried greasing the RSB bushings, but that did not make a difference. RSB brackets were also intact, the last time I checked. Also, the location of the noise seems to come from the strut towers just behind the rear seats so it would appear it's coming from the strut/spring combination.

When I inquired with a local shop, they said based on their experience, the struts were the culprit. However, it appears that is not the case from what is posted here.

I'm glad I haven't been the only one with this problem. What else could be the source? Is the spring shifting on the perch?

It was definitely a higher pitched squeak mainly over bumps. Not really a crunching sound. It's also the stock swaybar but I bought it used so the previous owner may have had a bigger unit installed.

Ken S: Have you had the rear struts out of the car? Sometimes a bad spring seat will make almost a stretching or creaking sound. But usually from the fronts. The RSB bushings could too though. I guess anything rubber that is wearing?

highspeed11: Not yet. Strut replacement is due up next so I'll find out more then.

mlloydlgt: Great way to describe it -- sounds exactly like what I have. It happens with slower compression/decompression cycles.

Have you installed any type of RSB bracket? I had creaking/squeaking going over bumps slowly and going up my driveway after I installed brackets.

I did a lot of searching and trouble shooting and found it to be the rubber mounts on the rear sub frame assembly.

I've circled and pointed an arrow to what I am referring to.

Sorry for borrowing your pic Highspeed:

http://john-r-coughlin.com/pictures/rubber.jpg

Just take that apart, clean it real good with some WD40, wipe it dry, and put a good amount of Energy Suspension grease on there.

Thats what stopped it for me.

Seems like if dirt and crap get inbetween the rubber bushing and the metal support, it creaks.

Good luck and I hope that helps!

-John

Mine makes a creaky-crunchy sound...like a opening door to a haunted house and stepping on tortilla chips. it only happens over slower bumps like the driveway and/or speed bump. Never on the road.

Thanks! I was under my car pretty much shaking, wiggling and trying to move every part of the rear suspension/sub frame in order to figure out what it was.

not to threadjack, but Mike, How was your trip to Cali? Settling in yet?

You just missed a killer Legacy meet in PA this past weekend.

-John

^ Nice find John!

Have you installed any type of RSB bracket? I had creaking/squeaking going over bumps slowly and going up my driveway after I installed brackets.

I did a lot of searching and trouble shooting and found it to be the rubber mounts on the rear sub frame assembly.

I've circled and pointed an arrow to what I am referring to.

Sorry for borrowing your pic Highspeed:

http://john-r-coughlin.com/pictures/rubber.jpg

Just take that apart, clean it real good with some WD40, wipe it dry, and put a good amount of Energy Suspension grease on there.

Thats what stopped it for me.

Seems like if dirt and crap get inbetween the rubber bushing and the metal support, it creaks.

Good luck and I hope that helps!

-John

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John, that was it!!! That's what was causing the creaking sound!

I got the noise down significantly just by hitting it with some silicone spray from the outside.

Awesome find! First time in years that I was able to back out my driveway without that creak-creak!!

Thank you!

BTW, how difficult was it to remove that rear support arm to get to that bushing? Do you need to put the vehicle up on jack stands?

Thanks! I was under my car pretty much shaking, wiggling and trying to move every part of the rear suspension/sub frame in order to figure out what it was.

not to threadjack, but Mike, How was your trip to Cali? Settling in yet?

You just missed a killer Legacy meet in PA this past weekend.

-John

Sorry about the thread jack, but john did come up with an excellent find. I should prob, remove my bushings and add some grease too.

The trip went well, my car has some new rattles/creaks though. I heard about the meet from The RZA, he had a nice little shoot out with JR on the drive home I have been hearing about. There is a 200 mile fun run here this weekend, so I'm trying to get the car ready for that. My stage 3 project should be starting next week or the week after. Just passed CA inspection today running my full stage 2 set up!

-Mike

Hey Ken,

Its pretty easy to remove the rear subframe. All you need is a breakerbar, a 19mm long socket, jack, and some 2x6's.

You just have to jack the car up, and then put like 2 or 3 2x6's under the tires to set the car back onto so you have room to work under there. This is because you'll want the rear subframe to stay against the frame, otherwise it will pull away, and make it a little harder to line up the bolts again, and you DO NOT want to cross thread or strip any of these bolts.

Take out one bolt out at a time, then clean the top metal bracket that comes off and makes contact with the rubber bushing, and clean the rubber bushing, and grease it up real good. Then repeat with the other side. When putting the bolts back in, make sure you tighten it down good, other wise you might get some clunking if the subframe isnt tight. I dont know the torque specs, so I just tightened it up to where I felt comfortable. Thats it!

If you want me to I can do a write up with full pictures, but I probably wont be able to do it until Sunday night if you're willing to wait. Then I could also try to get the torque specs also, which I'm willing to guess is pretty high, considering the amount of force it too to get them off originally.

If you decide to tackle it good luck! If not, I think I'll still do a write up, as i'm sure more people will have this issue.

-John

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John, that was it!!! That's what was causing the creaking sound!

I got the noise down significantly just by hitting it with some silicone spray from the outside.

Awesome find! First time in years that I was able to back out my driveway without that creak-creak!!

Thank you!

BTW, how difficult was it to remove that rear support arm to get to that bushing? Do you need to put the vehicle up on jack stands?

I am also getting creaking sounds from the front suspension over low speed speed bumps, it just started about a week ago. My car has 27,000 miles on it. I purchased Whiteline front and rear sway bars and the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs in May. I am running stock struts with the Eibach's. The sways are using the factory end links. The car has had those parts installed for about 7,000 miles, and up to this point had been completely worry free and silent.

Based on reading the pages of this thread I should re-grease the sway bar bushings, should I be looking at re-greasing or upgrading anything else? My rears are still totally silent over bumps high or low speed, I'm just looking to get the fronts back to the same silent operation. Thanks for any insights you folks may have!

Gene

Mike,

Thanks for the reply, I sprayed some silicone lubricant on the part of the bushing that I could see when the wheels were turned hard to the left and right, it seemed to quiet them down a bit just from that.

To complete the full re-grease of the sways what is the technique to use if you dont have access to a lift or ramps? What type of grease should I use, and where do you typically source it? I had the parts installed at my dealer, they have been very mod friendly so far as long as I cleared the parts with them prior to install. Could I ask them to do it next time I have it in for service? Ideally I'd like to do it myself, so any further insight you have would be very helpful.

Thanks

Gene

Gene,

You need to remove the bushing brackets and remove the bushings, clean the bar, grease the bushings (I use marine grease) and re-install. This can be done with the suspension under load, but you need to be under the car. I use some cheap ramps from the local auto parts store to accomplish the task. Same way I change the oil. Works for front and rear.

-Mike

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived