LegacyGT.com

BMW guys, need advice on used 325

I'm trying to buy a 3 series convertible for a summer car. I found one on line last night, a 99' (e32 or e36??). He is asking a reasonable price. I don't remember if it was a 328 or 325, but it has 140K on it and he is asking 4500 for it. Pics look lkie it is a nice clean car, and it has been dealer serviced. He actually drives it everyday.

I know nothing about what to look for in a Bimmer. Please chirp in if you have advice on problem areas, thanks.

Ask for service records on the car to see if it has be maintained. Shocks and suspension components are probably really tired by now and close to wearing out. The transmission may need service as well. The engine is a bit of good news as the inline sixes are pretty robust and have timing chains instead of belts. One area to look out for is the spark plugs and coils, they'll need changing. Also a coolant flush should have been done, and the radiator and the hoses may need to be changed out. Don't even get me started on the top.

In other words you are looking at buying a high mileage German convertible. While they are great cars, it is rare to find one that has been taken care of properly. Unless this guy is the original owner, I would be really really unlikely to buy the car.

Ask for service records on the car to see if it has be maintained. Shocks and suspension components are probably really tired by now and close to wearing out. The transmission may need service as well. The engine is a bit of good news as the inline sixes are pretty robust and have timing chains instead of belts. One area to look out for is the spark plugs and coils, they'll need changing. Also a coolant flush should have been done, and the radiator and the hoses may need to be changed out. Don't even get me started on the top.

In other words you are looking at buying a high mileage German convertible. While they are great cars, it is rare to find one that has been taken care of properly. Unless this guy is the original owner, I would be really really unlikely to buy the car.

He is the original owner, which is probably good. I just ame across this here at the dealership, A 2002 Saab 9-3 convertible Turbo, 30K miles, full maint records. I just checked it out, she is a beaut, everything works, all original paint. I can buy it for $13,500. I thought that was an outstanding price.

You guys have confirmed my fear about a high mileage German car. I know the inline six in the Bimmer is legendary, but it's the rest of the car I worry about.

What do you think about the Saab?

Saab = lots of Ford parts. How do you feel about Ford? For whatever it's worth, I do not recall Consumer Reports giving the Saab a good reliability raiting (hey, say anything you want about CR, but their ratings are pretty decent).

Saab = lots of Ford parts. How do you feel about Ford? For whatever it's worth, I do not recall Consumer Reports giving the Saab a good reliability raiting (hey, say anything you want about CR, but their ratings are pretty decent).

WRONG!!!! Saab is owned by GM, so it would be all GM parts.

Guest JessterCPA
Price sounds about right. However, you are getting into high price repair territory. My buddy spends most of his free time working on his 633CSi. But there are some good bimmer forums out there for advice.

633CSi FTMFW!!!

I have been thinking the same thing about a previous gen 3 series conv. Seems to fit the bill of a great convertible extra car.

Now go throw an LS2 in it.

Jesse

Are you thinking Volvo? The other quirky Euro brand?:)

I bought the Saab! It has 30k, and every service was done at a Saab dealer. The guy must have been anal about the car. He has every service receipt, the full owners manual package, etc. My wife is gonna shit when I take it home tonight, I am buying it for her and she has no idea. It's her "midlife" gift. LOL No mods to this turbo, I promise.;) Thanks for all your input guys. Now I can get my Leggy back:spin:

Good luck with it, Saabs can be pretty unreliable. I just fixed up and sold a 99 9-5 turbo for my girlfriend; she had a lot of problems with it. Her sister currently has a 2003 and it's constantly in the shop. If this guy took good care of it, you might be fine though

Go to the saab forums for horror stories! I was in the market for 9-5 until I read the horror stories. They are great looking cars, but their reliability in the higher miles is not impressive.

X

---

EFFIT! - it's a low mileage car that your wife is going to be.... modding, taking it to the track & running 30 sec 1/4's?!?!

c'mon I'm sure it's perfect for it's purpose. congrats. i have no doubt that anyone as anal as yourself; will likely keep tabs on the cars future maintenance ;)

EFFIT! - it's a low mileage car that your wife is going to be.... modding, taking it to the track & running 30 sec 1/4's?!?!

c'mon I'm sure it's perfect for it's purpose. congrats. i have no doubt that anyone as anal as yourself; will likely keep tabs on the cars future maintenance ;)

:lol::lol: I know all about Saab stories. I think the 9-3 is less GM than the 9-5. I went through the records and it only had one warranty repair, a reflash for pinging at 3000 miles.

Even though it is a turbo, its not that quick, which is good because she collects speeding tickets. It's fast enough for her. She has gotten 2 tickets in the past 12 months driving the LGT.

:lol::lol: I know all about Saab stories. I think the 9-3 is less GM than the 9-5. I went through the records and it only had one warranty repair, a reflash for pinging at 3000 miles.

Even though it is a turbo, its not that quick, which is good because she collects speeding tickets. It's fast enough for her. She has gotten 2 tickets in the past 12 months driving the LGT.

Ahhh, so now the truth comes out. It's not really all about her, you wanted the Leggy back :lol:. Was she driving it with the 18G when she got the tickets?

Nice looking car. My brother had an older one before GM had a hand in them and he raved about that car. Hopefully this one will treat you well.

You guys have confirmed my fear about a high mileage German car. I know the inline six in the Bimmer is legendary, but it's the rest of the car I worry about.

What do you think about the Saab?

Don't let the car's nationality discourage you, it is the fact that there aren't tons of them out there that makes part expensive because there is only one source. Also the age and mileage are a huge factor. I don't care who made the damn thing, at well over 100K miles and over ten years there will be stuff that needs to be replaced. The car will still run, but it won't be like a lower mileage nice tight car. Same deal with the Saab down the road, they are a pain in the ass too for parts and upkeep. All older cars are a pain in the ass for upkeep, why do you think most people don't keep one loner than five years? They get sick of little things nickle and diming them to death.

633CSi FTMFW!!!

I have been thinking the same thing about a previous gen 3 series conv. Seems to fit the bill of a great convertible extra car.

Now go throw an LS2 in it.

Jesse

I'd really like an E30. MT a must, but Id prolly stay away from one with X drive.

Okay, so what happened? Does she like it or not?

OMG, she is absolutly crazy about it. I pimped it out Sat (cleaned it). I dont think it has ever seen snow, not one stone pit anywhere. The car looks so good with the top down I hate to put it up.:cool: I have to say, it seems like a well engineered car. Very little cowl shake on bumpy roads, wind is well controlled in the cockpit below 70mph. It has the 2.0 205hp motor and it goes well. The tranny seems to be a Jap unit, possibly an Aisian, it shifts firm and smooth.

Yeah, she rocked my world this weekend.:wub: Oh, and yes, she was driving the LGT for a week with the 18g. :eek:

Congrats on getting your LGT back. :lol:

When I was at BH Subaru the other day that car was parked right by the entrance and I thought it looked pretty damn good.

And as far as reliability goes, my friend has a '99 9-3 SE 5-spd with 109,000 miles and it hasnt given him any problems.

Dude, you should have walked over and said hi. Everything OK with the service over at the Subie store????

Archived