LegacyGT.com

AVO BOV Installed (With Instructions and Pix!)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='kikkoman114']The BOV as of right now is still somewhat problematic. I am still awaiting for Paul's reply, so I am not going to review this product until Paul(who has been very helpful so far) remedies this problem.[/QUOTE] Kikkoman, did you ever get the longer bolt that was to be sent to you? Sorry I haven't checked on it - last I knew it was sent/to be sent out. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url] [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

Have you tried going back to the stock BOV? If yes, Does your problem still exist? If yes...It's not the BOV or the AVO BOV could have caused the problem! If no...send it back and get a new one! If they won't give you a new one...get your money back and get it through someone else! If they won't give your money back...let me know!!! CRAZY KEN...esquire!!!

Thank you for your concern Krazy Ken. Yes all problems with the vehicle's drivabilty dimishes once the stock BOV is back on the car. If other AVO BOV owners are not having any problems with their BOVs, then I can only assume the problem lies within the BOV itself. Both Paul and Ross has been extremely helpful so far, and provided suggestions as to how to tune the BOV. Initially I assume its my faulty BOV tuning that has caused the car to run so crappy. But its been couple months and I tried everything I and Ross can think of and so far we cannot get the idling/stalling problem to diminish. Ross is away on vacation I believe so I am still awaiting for his response, so I will keep you guys updated throughout this process.

...why not return it and get a new one!!! Say its a defective piece...right out if the box...and DEMEND a replacement...the dealer will issue an RA to the vendor...what is the manufactures WARRANTY = 1 week / 1 month...You are too NICE of a guy...if this item were to FUBAR your Legacy would you be this NICE??? I don't think so!!! Switch back to stock BOV...send it back and let them figure it out/adj/fix/replace it!!! Not worth all this headache...I was so close to purchasing a bunch of AVO products but I guess not!!! CRAZY KEN

The vaccum hose is definately connected as the picture on the 1st page shows. Right now the extended screw I recieved is screwed in as much as I can with enough thread for the nut to lock it down. The 50/50 plate is definately off because if it is back on then there would defeat the purpose of getting this BOV. Yes many people say I am "too nice", but I am always willing to work with people who are willing to work with me. I understand that sometime shit(excuse my french)happens, but its how you deal with it that counts, hopefully the good people at AVO will not disappoint. I said this before and I'll say it again, please do not let my post deter you from making your purchases. It would appear so far that I am the only person with this problem so perhaps I just got a faulty one. I did not start this thread to deframe AVO or any if its people's reputations and quality, but simply to objectively document my personal experience and state the facts as unbiased as possible. And above all, I wanted to utilize this forum and its wonderful people to assist me in order to remedy my drivability heahaches.

kikko, i know this situation is frustrating to you, but i am the last person you should be barking at. if you have read all my posts in this thread you would have seen that i am one of the handful of usdm LGT that are using the AVO BOV with no trouble at all. i have offered advice in a couple of posts as to how to properly tune your BOV but i think you really need to understand how one works!!!!!!! your most recent post made it sound like i was asking silly questions when in fact the answer to your problems lied in your comment about how your set scre was positioned!! i will help you one last time but appreciate my post, don't bash it! 1. even with the 50/50 plate on this BOV is a much stronger valve than the stock one (at least on the LGT it is) so if high HP levels are your goal it is a good mod even without the noise. 2. it is illegal in most US states to vent thes gases as well as wastegate gases to the atmoshere otherwise more manufacturers would be designing BOV and wategates to run turbos much more efficienlty its an emmisions thing i believ your problem was with rough idle and loss of power during accelleration right? 3. here is once and for all how to tune an AVO BOV a. first of all that set screw should not have been touched!!!!! but since we are starting from scratch listen up......... screw the set screw all the way in and replace the 50/50 plate b. start he car up and let it warm up to operating temp. c. with the car at idle in N start unscrewing the set screw intil the idle starts to get rough d. then tighten it back up til the roughness goes away .. then one extra 1/4 turn. DONE e. drive the car around to make sure all is ok......... f. if you then want to relieve some of the pressure remove the 50/50 plate you will get your noise and improved driveability, the car should still run fine!!!!!!! pm ME IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS! James

Your advice as well as any others is much appreciated. I apologize if you feel my rants are considered as "barks" and if threre is to be bashing of any kinds, I am the last person to do so. I will take your advice and give that a try. None of my posts in the past or future are meant to offend and if they do so in the future then you all know I mean no harm. Any other advices or suggestions from other AVO BOV owners?

hope it works out soon kikko. i know ur not trying to run avo products down. but there are a few other gt owners who are waiting to see if ur problem gets sorted. i am waiting, i want a bov and im interested in the avo .. but ill wait to see if ur bov runs fine on the car. i just dont want to be in the same boat as you are..

it is obvious what the problem is............... having the set screw barely in is ust as bad as having the vacuum hose disconnected. kikko......... the nut is the last thing you scerw down....... make sure you do what i said with the screw first also did you modify the gasket to assure the proper seal to the IC? something else i though of last night Gambler i wouldn't worry about having the same problem...... the only thing you might have to do is turn the base of the BOV so it lines up with the LGT hoses........... mine came set for aWRX i'm sure

...your post is NOT detering me from purchasing AVO product...in fact, I am most interested in their Uppipe, Downpipe and BOV. And thanks to your post, I know NOT to f with the BOV settings/screws!!! ***cough***cough*** ;) CRAZY KEN

• 2 weeks later...
Okay guys, finally! I finally think I got the BOV to work with my car, and here are some of my opinions on the BOV as well as what I think happened. Keep in mind that I am no expert. I have no mechanical experiences with cars and no PHD in turbochargers nor internal combustion motors, so feel free to agree or disagree with what I am about to say. As matter of fact, I would greatly appreciate your corrections or even further information so everyone here(or only meself) can learn a thing or two. It would appear according to Paul that Ross is on vacation. I've been trying to reach him since late December last year with no replies. Meanwhile, collectively from our beloved members on this forum, I tinkered and toyed with the BOV, and here is what I learned knowing close to nothing about cars and turbochargers. Turbochargers works off the exhaust gas which is recirculated roughly through the intercooler and back to the combustion chamber via the intake. When on the accelerater, once boost is achieved, compressed air will be traveling towards throttle body. However, once you lift off the gas pedal, the throttle plate closes and compressed air have nowhere to travel but back to the turbo, which can damage the fins on the turbine. So the purpose of a BOV is to vent the air trapped whenever gas is let off so it helps prolong turbo life. As far as performance gains or increased drivabilty... well I don't think there are much. The majority of buyers may not want to hear their bypass valve(bov) vent everytime they let off the gas(plus some say its illegal), so manufacturers design modern bov's with a recirculation hose. Which means as oppose to venting into atmosphere, the air is recirculated back into the combustion champer for efficiency. Along with that, modern cars with sophisticated ECU can contantly sense a certain amount of air and fuel that the car is running at all time, and the ECU takes that recirculated air into account as well. Not long after I purchased this car, I decided to toy with the factory BOV and disconnected the recirculation hose to see what kind of effect that would have. The result is both successful and a failure. The experiment was successful because the bov now vents compressed air into the atmosphere creating a very lout and "whoosh~" sound that I crave so dearly. But it failed because the car idled like shit, bogs around low rpm, experienced power loss, and stalled quite often when coming to a stop. So not long after that I picked up my AVO BOV, and you all know what I went through after that. Keep in mind that these are conclusions based on my observations, they are not facts! AVO BOV is designed with the ability to vent air into atmosphere and recirculation in mind. The bov has a back plate(which I showed earlier) that can be removed if you want to hear sounds. With the plate on, it will emit no more sounds than it would compare to stock bov. So far no one on this forum has explained to me what the screw on top does, but here is my opinion of this screw's purpose(other than screwing). The screw on top of the AVO BOV determines how much air to recirculate and how much to vent. There is only 100% of air at any given time, so for example if you want to vent 90%, that means only 10% gets recirculated, or if you want 60% recirculated, that means 40% gets to make the sound. The more air gets vented, the louder your bov. On the other hand, the more air that gets recirculated, the happier your ECU is and the better and smoother your car runs/idles. I came to this conclusion because intially no matter what I do to that screw the car would not run right, but my BOV is definately audible at all times. Before I can hear the BOV vent when revving in neutral, but now it is an impossible feat and the only way to get sound is close to at least 3/4 WOT. Finally I removed the top silver nut and screwed in that screw as much as I can while still leaving some thread to stabilize it. What came out of this is a car's drivability is almost stock, and I get that "whoosh~" sound in between shifts that I paid $320 for.The BOV sound is not nearly as loud as before, but I maintain at least 90% of my drivability, and I'm happy with that. Basically even if I did not tamper with that screw from the get-go, I think my car would still run like shit, because this screw(at least in my case), has to be screwed in until the top disappears 5mm into the bov before the car drives the way it should be. As far as advice for tuning the screw for future AVO BOV owners, I recommend leaving the screw at its current settings, and screw them down until you acheive desirable drivability. As stated by Paul, this is a very mild BOV, it is not going to scare pedestrians or make ears bleed, but for us Subaru owners, I'm afraid it is the only way to do this if you want that sound(Unless you know how to tune ECUs). Some people say the car won't idle right, well that is true to certain extend, but so far with a few weeks at its current settings I think it works fine. Other claim that you loose power between shifts- all I can say is that I am not very sensitive to power and I feel no particular gains or lost. Few Subaru owners claims that our cars will run rich and destroy the catalyic converter, only time will tell(then I will tell). For those who do plan on modding their Subaru's for power gain and increased boost, this item may be necessary in order to sustain higher boost. For others who plans on keeping their car stock, I can't imagine this BOV will serve any kind of performance purposes, for stock cars, it is good for making sounds only. For $320 just for that sound and all these trouble, do you think I think its worth it? YOU BETCHA! And I will do it over again just for that sound, it just makes my driving experieces that much more fun!! Hopefully this information is helpful to some of you, and all opinions, suggestions, informations as well as insults are more than welcome. I will post if there is anymore updates, but I think the car is pretty good now.

kikko now all u hafta do is make a video or sound clip of ur blowoff valve and show us the goods. bout time u cleared the cobwebs from ur head and learnt how to adjust the bov properly... from what ive read previously from others, it appears u did not listen on how to adjust the bov. "if all else fails, read the instructions"

Great write-up, one note though... [quote name='kikkoman114'] Turbochargers works off the exhaust gas which is recirculated roughly through the intercooler and back to the combustion chamber via the intake. [/QUOTE] The exhaust gas doesn't actually recirculate into the intake. Your turbo is basically two turbines that are connected by a shaft. The exhaust gas flows over one turbine which causes it to spin. The exhaust then goes out your exhaust system. The other turbine (called the compressor) also spins, because it is connected by a shaft to the first. This turbine sucks air through your intake, compresses it while sending it through your intercooler to be cooled before going to your intake manifold. Check out [url="http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm"]http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm[/url] for a better description.
.o0O0o.

Also, I think the main reason to have a BOV or BPV is for performance. For performance, it's best to keep the turbo spinning fast, and if there's no BPV or BOV then that air will move backwards and slow down the turbo. I'm not sure if it would damage the fins of the turbo or not.

I used to have a 1993 MR2 Turbo and I loved the sound of the stock BOV fluttering chirping and whooshing with custom intake. I miss that in my LGT. It might sound ricey to be concerned about turbo sound, but I have to admit that it added to the experience for me. Having said that, I wouldn't spend big bucks just for sound effects - if the AVO BOV helped to keep turbo spooled between shifts I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but the consensus seems to be that the stock recirculating bov functions just fine for whatever the stock turbo can output. I was hoping that kikko would notice a performance increase but if he doesn't notice it, and it's adjusted properly, then I guess I won't be buying.

Archived