LegacyGT.com

AVO BOV Installed (With Instructions and Pix!)

With stock BOV back on the car and only less than 3,500 miles, the car runs perfectly fine. Perhaps it is indeed a faulty BOV or just not tuned correctly on my part. And yes! A bad BOV will damange your motor. If your car runs rich over a prolong period of time, it will eventually lead to catalytic converter failure and unable to pass smog. With a engine that bogs like my with the BOV, I have smelled my clutch on more than just 1 ocasion. So YES, it can be harmful. Just want to say up to this point AVO have been extremely kind and eager to help me solve this problem. Although it has not yet been resolved, their customer service is outstanding. Thank you AVO (Paul and Ross).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kikkoman, sure hope that AVO helps you find satisfaction when all is said and done....keep us informed. Since this thread deals with the topic of a BOV and I'm on the low end of the scale for turbo engine knowledge, I'd like to ask the gang a question. Other than the 'blinge-factor' of audible boost farting, is there ever a good TECHNICAL reason to go with an aftermarket BOV? For instance, if you do the whole uppipe/downpipe catback blah, blah, blah along with a reflash to add something like 50/50 hp/torque does the OEM BOV ever become a limiting factor? From what I've read here so far, it sounds like that might only be the case if you replace the stock turbo unit with some god-awful monster that blows tons of air through the system. Is this correct?

[quote name='LandShark']Kikkoman, sure hope that AVO helps you find satisfaction when all is said and done....keep us informed. Since this thread deals with the topic of a BOV and I'm on the low end of the scale for turbo engine knowledge, I'd like to ask the gang a question. Other than the 'blinge-factor' of audible boost farting, is there ever a good TECHNICAL reason to go with an aftermarket BOV? For instance, if you do the whole uppipe/downpipe catback blah, blah, blah along with a reflash to add something like 50/50 hp/torque does the OEM BOV ever become a limiting factor? From what I've read here so far, it sounds like that might only be the case if you replace the stock turbo unit with some god-awful monster that blows tons of air through the system. Is this correct?[/QUOTE] You are correct.....a aftermarket BOV will best be used when you increase boost and find the OEM by-pass valve will not hold the increased pressure.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Am I the only person on this board other than Paul's company car that has this specific BOV? If not, does anyone else with the same BOV have simular problems? I'd really would appreciate some information or feedbacks from fellow knowledgable members.

[quote name='kikkoman114']Am I the only person on this board other than Paul's company car that has this specific BOV? If not, does anyone else with the same BOV have simular problems? I'd really would appreciate some information or feedbacks from fellow knowledgable members.[/QUOTE] I have the AVO BOV....no probs.

[quote name='kikkoman114']Am I the only person on this board other than Paul's company car that has this specific BOV? If not, does anyone else with the same BOV have simular problems? I'd really would appreciate some information or feedbacks from fellow knowledgable members.[/QUOTE] We've had two or more 2.5 GT customers with the BOV - they've not had problems. Ross is EMS'ing a longer stud bolt for the adjustment to see if that solves the problem. If not, then I'm going to assume that there is something wrong with the BOV diaphragm, and get a new one sent to you, plus get you to send that one back. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url] [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

man kikkoman i was so happy to see someone show me how to install BOV and i keep reading thread and everyone is like "oo hows it working, better or worse?" and then suddenly BAM car doesnt work anymore, certainly discouraging. Did you have any experience tweakin ur car before this install?

Please do not let my post discourage you from making this purchase. I possess close to little knowledge as far as automobile goes and even less when it comes down to tuning it. I have simply documented the installation process objectively and reviewed the product UP TO THIS POINT. I am experiecing difficulties perhaps it is because I tampered with something that I wasn't suppose to, or maybe simply I recieved a faulty BOV by accident. Bottom line- the jury is still out on this. But I promise you all that I will keep you all updated, and keep every as detailed and objective as possible. In no way am I trying to ruin AVO's product reputation. Please do not judge this BOV until everything has been said. Like I said before, AVO has been nothing short of excellent when it comes down to customer service, and we are in the middle of trying to sort this problem out. The service they provide so far has been nothing short of exceptional, unlike CC-B.(Which I will mention later). For those who are anxious to make this purchase but not sure, please do not let me discourage you. So far it seems like I am one of the rare cases and hoping it will eventually be remedied with the help of the good people at AVO.

I was talking about bov's with my dad last weekend, he raced w/turbo in the late 70's. :cool: Anyhow what he told me is exactly what I read in an article posted on EVOLUTIONM.net(the following is from an article on that site) "When driving the MAS(Mass Airflow sensor) will read in a specific amount of air coming in to the intake and wants to compensate for that air with a certain amount of fuel. If you use a VTA blow off valve then that air will no longer be entering the engine, but the fuel is still compensating for it, so you end up running too rich. This has apparently caused stalling problems for some people. A recirculating blow off valve will work just like the stock unit, so there shouldn't be any potential for stalling issues." Another thing my dad said was that the pressurized air that the bov is venting to the atmosphere is cooler and denser and better for making power than the fresh air you car has yet to suck in the intake. So why get rid of it? I think this is a total "BLING" mod and by the posts on here doesnt even give you stock performance. Send it back! Well, thats what I would do. Just my .02

I agree, it is a "bling" upgrade. I sincerely doubt this BOV is going to increase in performance, if anything, so far it has hurt it more than it helped. But having that sound just makes it that much more fun when you are driving. Some people don't care, others like myself do find some joy in that sound. Still waiting for this thing to be tuned right....

NewScooby, you are correct on what your dad has told you.. As for BOVs of how they became popular as a Atmos, it's usually used for race cars that dont use MAF.. on top of that, racecars are tuned closer to 11 or 12:1 AFR anyways.. so for them to vent out a little bit of oxygen isnt going to kill them, especially when their turbos are pushing some large amounts of air and it's just going to keep spinning so the wastegate is going to stay closed even some off-throttle action (hence you get to see fire balls coming out of the muffler). The fuel is still spraying, the air is vented out a bit, and the turbo is still forcing air through to keep the turbo spooling.. they are race cars, they can afford a turbo melting down a bit.. it's the engine that they rather protect. Keefe
Keefe

Kikkoman, it's too bad that no street car can produce enough PSIs to generate the "BANG" sound from the HKS Racing BOV.. that sucker vents out when it senses 90 PSI... so yea, instead of "whoosh", it' goes "BANG" like a pop of a ballon at every shift. [I][B]NOW THAT'S COOL TO HEAR!![/B][/I] Keefe
Keefe

• 2 weeks later...
It's not that big of a loss, but there is a loss in performance. You can get the Blitz Dual Drive (MSRP right now is $450, yea, that's right, $450). The problem is that you need to get a flange made to work with the intercooler, unlike other turbo cars with different piping and just weld a pipe-flange and bolt any kind of BOV on it. If you decide to do FMIC with piping, then you can run whatever bov you want via welding a flange adapter for the BOV, heck, you can run as many BOVs you want with that kind of setup. But as for $150, that's too hard to deal with, especially for bolt-on BOV. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='offthacliff']So some people are running after market BOV with no losses in performance? Any others out there besides the AVO. I personally want the Woosssshhh! but not for $300 maby $150[/QUOTE] Worx is fabricating a flange for the GT and should be ready by the end of the month or sometime in january. (for their dual drive) Will probably go for $225

yea, if you think about it, the bov on an auto would be ideal, because you could scare children and the old when you want to, but when you race you would not suffer performance reducing rich conditions during shifts.

-Hatt

2005 Obsidian Black Legacy GT 5MT Un-Limited Sedan

[quote name='CRAZY KEN']Yo...homeboy...Keefe!!! So the Blitz BOV isn't worth getting??? CRAZY KEN ***cough***cough*** can you install it for me??? ;) [img]http://www.blitz-na.com/product%20image/BlowoffDD5.jpg[/img][/QUOTE] Ken, are you still coming over for installs on Saturday? Oh yea, I think the Blitz BOV for the Legacy GT is $450.. so, no, I dont think it's worth it at that price. Not fond of Blitz BOV sounds, but that's just a matter of taste. Keefe
Keefe

The sound of an aftermarket BOV sounds cool when vented to atmosphere, but like others have said you will be running rich on a stock MAF. The stock BOV will handle the amount of PSI that most people will be using. I ran a stock BOV on my 90 Talon and I was pushing 22 PSI.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived