LegacyGT.com

Adding a Hatch Release to the Wagon?

Hey folks,

I've been driving my new 07 Legacy GT Ltd Wagon for just over a week a now.

One thing I really miss is being able to open the hatch from inside the car while the car is running. Every car I have ever owned has had the ability to pop the trunk or open the hatch from within the drivers seat. The only way I've been able to do this with the Legacy is by using the button on the key remote - but that only works when the key is out of the ignition.

Has anyone modified their wagon by adding a hatch release button?

Do any of the Outbacks, Legacys or Imprezzas have a hatch/trunk release from inside the car? If so, do they use the same latch as the Legacy? If they do, it wouldnt be too hard to add to the Legacy.

I did some searching, but couldnt find anyone that has done it. Can anyone help me out?

On the wagon, when you use the keyfob to open the hatch, it just releases the latch. The Hatch is still closed for all intents and purposes. You still need to grab the hatch and lift it open. So as long as the doors are unlocked, "popping" the hatch doesn't free any hands. It doesn't take up anymore of your time to just grab the handle and lift it up.

To implement what you intend to do would mean installing some kind of piston or actuator to open the hatch once it's been unlatched. $$$$$

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

No he's not talking about installing a powered actuator to physically open the rear hatch but just having the option of popping the rear hatch latch mechanism only from inside the car. I too would like to have this option on my '05 wagon.

So what exactly do you want if it is not one of the minivan auto opening tailgates?

The tailgate gets unlocked when you:

1. Hit the tailgate button on the key fob.

2. Unlock all doors by pushing the unlock button on the key fob twice.

3. Hit the unlock switch on the driver door to unlock all doors.

What is so hard to understand? He just wants the latch to pop open. Its a fair question. Sometimes I have stupid people fumbling about back there looking for the hatch handle, scratching my paint and putting finger prints everywhere, if it was open all they would have to do is lift it up. Or I could yell "Just lift it, its open!" :)

Good question IMHO :)

At least there's a latch back there. On the sedans, you need to open it with the remote or the latch next to the driver's seat.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is, using the latch to open the door. Plus, the wagon gets the handy grips to close the hatch from the inside of the door, so that you don't get greasy fingerprints on the paint, unlike the sedan.

You mean you don't detail the latch every day?!:D

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Hahahaha I do, it gets way too dirty back there too quickly for my taste if I don't lol :)

I don't think the OP is making a big deal out of it, neither am I for that matter, I just think he's asking a casual question.

I'd say a door latch actuator would have to be linked to the trigger for the lock actuator for it to work. Its probably not worth the hassle.

I was only asking how hard people thought it would be to install an unlatch switch for the hatch. The full-open tailgate would be too difficult - but I sure wish it had that.

I am not familiar with the release mechanisms of other Subarus, but I thought it they had a release mechanism from inside, it might be easy to fit that setup onto the wagon.

The tailgate gets unlocked when you:

1. Hit the tailgate button on the key fob.

Only when the key is out of the ignition, right? It didnt seem to work while the car is running.

2. Unlock all doors by pushing the unlock button on the key fob twice.

I am not sure I tried this, but I would guess it too only works when the car is running.

3. Hit the unlock switch on the driver door to unlock all doors.

I didnt actually try this. Will this work while the car is running? Will it work while the car is in gear?

The reason I would like to have the hatch latch open is so people can quickly open it, dump their cargo in there, and hop in the car quickly. Occasional passengers never know where the handle is and run their hands all over the car to try and find it. I almost always have show them where it is. When you are quickly pulling up in front of an office building during rushhour traffic, or in front of a store, the quicker you can get away the better.

What you want isn't available.

So here's the deal on the tailgate. When you first approach the car and hit the unlock button once for the door on the key fob, that only unlocks the driver door only. If you hit the button twice that unlocks all 4 doors and the tailgate. At this point the tailgate remains unlocked until you lock the doors with the key fob or the main switch on the driver door.

So once you have all the doors unlock or if you just push the tailgate unlock button, the tailgate remains unlock until the next time you lock up the car. So if you didn't lock up the car, you can open the tailgate as many times as you want without ever having to unlock it again.

It is unfortunate. I'll still get those people fumbling around the tailgate to find the handle.

While I am complaining about little things ... is there anyway to get the front map/reading lights to come on when the door opens? The roof dome light is so far back there that the front seats have no lighting at night.

While I am complaining about little things ... is there anyway to get the front map/reading lights to come on when the door opens? The roof dome light is so far back there that the front seats have no lighting at night.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23139

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

That's a cool question and I understand his reasons for wanting it.

I have a sedan so it doesn't make a difference to me, but I hope someone can help him out with the wiring so he can try it out!

I checked the idea out.

Actuating the handle wouldn't be enough to pop it open, you'd need to push the gate up too... the stock pistons are not strong enough to lift the gate enough to clear the latch... If you don't clear the latch, you still have to squeeze the handle to lift the gate - which negates the grab anywhere thought.

... this is skinning and chopper territory...

move on

• 9 years later...
I have been thinking about this too. I don't need to release it from the front of the car but I do need some way to mechanically open the hatch on my '05 wagon from inside the car because: if one runs the battery dead (e.g. leaving map light on for days!-another mod I will have to make.), jumper cables are stored in the rear tire compartment, the hatch is locked and can't be opened from the outside, hatch can't be unlocked because battery is dead (see above) and there is no outside keyhole on the hatch. Anybody have any suggestions?

Sorry if your _____ enough to let the battery go dead, use the key to unlock the drivers door, crawl inside and lower the rear seats. crawl back and open the panel covering the hatch release and raise the lever that's in there.

I think that's how you open it.

Or buy one of those battery charger packs.

Hey, good job searching though, this is a 10 year old thread.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

use the key to unlock the drivers door, crawl inside and lower the rear seats. crawl back and open the panel covering the hatch release and raise the lever that's in there.

That's a sedan thing, not a wagon thing.

I seem to recall years back I had to do that once when my wagons hatch wouldn't unlock, I replaced the lock mechanism after that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Thanks, That's what I recall doing.

I have also found that after the car has sat in the hot sun for a number day's with the doors locked, the hatch would not unlock. Come back when it was cooler or after driving it with the AC on, it unlocked as normal.

Archived