LegacyGT.com

Check Out The Intake Dyno Results

Pretty good results for the 2.5i. I imagine a custom headerback exhaust with this intake and the car might be decently quick. Stock lgts dyno 180-190 whp. I'd imagine with the above mods you would be at around 165 whp :)

Subaru.com lists the peak horsepower on the 2.5i engine at 170 hp. Going from the engine to the wheels you lose 25 % of your horsepower which puts you at about 133 peak horsepower. This result you can have for about a fourh of a second if you step on it as hard as possible and drive like a maniac. During the normal everyday drive, on these 2.5i engines you probably use only around 100 hp on the wheels. The intake here gives about 5-8 hp gain. The dyno shows 13 but that is with my disclaimer above. No human being can feel a gain in horsepower that small. Even with the headers and exhaust, the additional 10 - 15 hp, you will hardly even feel a difference at all. For people who are interested and hellbound on getting some performance out of their 2.5i NA engine, they can simply follow the upcoming steps here.

Step 1: Wait for AVO to finish their 5-6 psi (40-50hp) turbo that their are currently working on for this car

Step 2: Get a custom intake like the guy on the site there and toss it in.

Step 3: Get the Headers and get the Catback Exhaust and toss those in as well

So now you do your little hp formula

turbo = 40

intake = 7

exhaust = 7

headers = 7

Total hp you would gain = about 60ish on the wheels (give or take 10)

Now you add 60 to the stock hp on the wheels

133 + 60 = 193

Then you grab this guy's comment from above which is true "Stock lgts dyno 180-190 whp"

Then you go find yourself a stock LGT and you some it by a quarter of an inch if you are lucky.

But now let us do the sad part: THE MONEY FORMULA

A new 2.5i you can got for about 20k

A new LGT you can get for about 27k

If you buy a 2.5i for 20k and you do the mods above you end up like this: (Let me know if my prices are off on items)

turbo = 3500

install fee: 1500 (i guess)

Exhaust: 700 (i guess)

Headers 400 (i guess)

Intake 300 (i guess)

Total = Close to 7000 dollars

Now add the 7000 to the 20000 and you get 27,000

LGT costs 27,000 dollars.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: I WAS WRONG BEFORE. IF YOU REALLY LIKE PERFORMANCE IT IS BETTER TO BUY A LGT RIGHT OFF THE BAT. I OWE APOLOGIES TO SOME OF THE MEMBERS HERE.

the bad news: All of these calculations still don't mean I can afford or find a LGT in my area.

Guest subiecity
Subaru.com lists the peak horsepower on the 2.5i engine at 170 hp. Going from the engine to the wheels you lose 25 % of your horsepower which puts you at about 133 peak horsepower. This result you can have for about a fourh of a second if you step on it as hard as possible and drive like a maniac. During the normal everyday drive, on these 2.5i engines you probably use only around 100 hp on the wheels. The intake here gives about 5-8 hp gain. The dyno shows 13 but that is with my disclaimer above. No human being can feel a gain in horsepower that small. Even with the headers and exhaust, the additional 10 - 15 hp, you will hardly even feel a difference at all. For people who are interested and hellbound on getting some performance out of their 2.5i NA engine, they can simply follow the upcoming steps here.

Step 1: Wait for AVO to finish their 5-6 psi (40-50hp) turbo that their are currently working on for this car

Step 2: Get a custom intake like the guy on the site there and toss it in.

Step 3: Get the Headers and get the Catback Exhaust and toss those in as well

So now you do your little hp formula

turbo = 40

intake = 7

exhaust = 7

headers = 7

Total hp you would gain = about 60ish on the wheels (give or take 10)

Now you add 60 to the stock hp on the wheels

133 + 60 = 193

Then you grab this guy's comment from above which is true "Stock lgts dyno 180-190 whp"

Then you go find yourself a stock LGT and you some it by a quarter of an inch if you are lucky.

But now let us do the sad part: THE MONEY FORMULA

A new 2.5i you can got for about 20k

A new LGT you can get for about 27k

If you buy a 2.5i for 20k and you do the mods above you end up like this: (Let me know if my prices are off on items)

turbo = 3500

install fee: 1500 (i guess)

Exhaust: 700 (i guess)

Headers 400 (i guess)

Intake 300 (i guess)

Total = Close to 7000 dollars

Now add the 7000 to the 20000 and you get 27,000

LGT costs 27,000 dollars.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: I WAS WRONG BEFORE. IF YOU REALLY LIKE PERFORMANCE IT IS BETTER TO BUY A LGT RIGHT OFF THE BAT. I OWE APOLOGIES TO SOME OF THE MEMBERS HERE.

the bad news: All of these calculations still don't mean I can afford or find a LGT in my area.

if u get a custom turbocharger from avo lets say, im sure theres gonna be alot more things ur going to have to custom as well due to the turbocharger itself ..... ecu, intake, headers, internals, getting it tuned...... so how can u sit here and list numbers and horsepowers , its really unrealistic how u just add numbers like that and say ull have that much horsepower by slapping on a turbocharger, headers and intake

• 3 years later...

There is simply no way the person made about 145 wheel HP/TQ on just an intake! I have proof, too!

Simply put, he fudged his SAE correction factors (note that that information is missing in the thread -- suspicious)

I did a comparison dyno of a friend's 2007 Impreza 2.5i (exact same car as in this thread), which, from the factory, is supposed to run 173HP/166ft-Lb to the crank.

The person in this thread claims that the stock numbers (to the wheels) are 132/133 -- when we ran my friends car on the exact same dyno model (except on my friend's car's run there was no way to modify the SAE factor -- a weather station is used and the SAE factors CANNOT be changed to fudge the numbers)), his car ran 125whp/131wtq with a (real) SAE correction factor of 1.27.

The person's claim of 145/145 is even more outrageous -- I have a 2007 Legacy 2.5i that is tuned for E-85 and is basically maxed out on power for the EJ253, and it just pulled 145whp/147wtq (the dagger is that one of my mods is a FULL INTAKE -- I'm getting about the same power as him and I am fully tuned on E-85 with a mostly catless exhaust, and many other mods).

I wish people woudn't lie.

Below is the proof via DynoJet!

Stock 2007 Impreza 2.5i on Regular Gasoline

SAE Correction: 1.27

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff279/laplacexformofs/stock2007.jpg

My '07 Legacy for comparison:

SAE correction factor: 1.27

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff279/laplacexformofs/legacy.jpg

Archived