LegacyGT.com

Ever wonder how much horsepower those muffler silencers cost you?

Boostjunkie

I was wondering and since the new MR single tip catback has a removable silencer insert, and I have access to a dyno thanks to my friends at Yimi Sport Tuning :wub: I decided to find out today.

The test car belongs to Wavewagon. His car has a 20g, FMIC and supporting mods and is a 5EAT. It was nicely tuned by Harman Motive :).

We tested the CBE without the silencer, with a 1.5" core insert and a 2" core insert. Run 3 is without the silencer, Run 5 is with the 1.5" silencer and Run 6 is with the 2" silencer. The tach pickup was acting kind of flaky today, so hence the x-axis is by speed. Without a steady tach signal we couldn't get an accurate torque graph, but regardless the results speak for themselves. Here's the graph:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/IMAGE0001.jpg

Basically the 2" insert did not cost any power at all. The exhaust was easily 30% quieter in my estimation and the car's owner was very happy with the reduction in noise. The 1.5" insert did cost us some power, but made the car very nearly as quiet as stock. Based on this test, I will be shipping the 2" inserts with the catbacks and probably offering the 1.5" silencers as an add-on option. I'd probably just run the silencer all the time given these results, but I know some guys are more "Loud and Proud" and will want to take it out, which is perfectly fine and the kind of flexibility this product offers.

The MR single tip CBE is in the final stages of development and will be in production soon. It will fit both wagons and sedans. It has a nice, reasonably modest look on wagons and offers sedan owners looking for a more "obvious" look that option, while the twin tip system is better suited for those seeking a more subtle style.

Hopefully Wavewagon will chime in with his on the road opinions of the tone and volume of the silencer equipped catback and any seat of the pants power delivery differences.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do these replace the resonator? do you have a pic of what the different silencers look like and maybe the process of installing/removing them? bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

do these replace the resonator? do you have a pic of what the different silencers look like and maybe the process of installing/removing them? bosco

The silencer insert does not replace the resonator. The resonator is in the midpipe. The silencer is inserted into the muffler tip and secured by nuts and bolts. Here is a pic of a muffler with a silencer insert installed (this is NOT a pic of the LGT application muffler):

http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/DRIFT%20SPEC%20CAT%20BACK%20II%20X500.jpg

The silencer insert does not replace the resonator. The resonator is in the midpipe. The silencer is inserted into the muffler tip and secured by nuts and bolts. Here is a pic of a muffler with a silencer insert installed (this is NOT a pic of the LGT application muffler):

http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/DRIFT%20SPEC%20CAT%20BACK%20II%20X500.jpg

thanks i see now it's just a removable baffle like a motorcycle muffler. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

what was the graph with the same setup but stock CBE? So 1.5" is nearly as quiet as stock?

I didn't have a stock CBE handy to compare with. My educated guess would be that the stock CBE would come in a tiny bit lower than the MR CBE with the 1.5" inserts. Maybe 3-5 whp lower. Nothing big. The catback is stupidly quiet with the 1.5" silencer, all I could really hear on the dyno was the turbo spooling and the air getting sucked into the CAI.

That's actually counter intuitive to me. My gf's WRX is running an Espelir cat-back and really feels choked with the silencer. The butt dyno says big difference....as does the gas needle (neither in a good way).

If the Espelir on your GF's car has a small ID then it's no surprise and backed up by my dyno results for the 1.5" core silencers. The 2" silencer is the one that doesn't lose much power.

The other thing to remember is that the LGT has 2 mufflers, so the silencers don't hurt as much. If you do the math a 2 2" tube have as little more area than a 2.75" diameter single tube, so it really isn't a wonder that the 2" silencers aren't much of a restriction even on an upgraded turbo. 2 1.5" tubes have a bit less area than a single 2.25" tube, so obviously they will hurt flow and that showed up on the dyno.

I have had the Megan Racing protoype CBE on my wagon for about 3 months now and I can say I am very happy with the quality and fitment. I also want to say Boostjunkie is an awesome vendor to work with, I have also purchased KW V2's from him.

In terms of performance and sound I think this exhaust offers the most options for wagon owners I have seen (and sedan owners for that matter). Without the silencers this exhaust sounds mean, especially at WOT. The drone at highway speeds was too much for me though (but may not be for some).

I am really happy with the 2" silencer. There is still is some exhaust rumble (which I wanted), but the highway drone is much less (about equal to tire noise or less). Most importantly there is not performance loss with the 2" silencer. The 1.5" silencer is really quite, I would say essentially like stock, with very little power loss.

So there you have it, a great product that offers up some options and finally more choices for wagon owners. Thanks to Boostjunkie and Megan Racing for that!

That's actually counter intuitive to me. My gf's WRX is running an Espelir cat-back and really feels choked with the silencer. The butt dyno says big difference....as does the gas needle (neither in a good way).

Butt dyno for me checks out well with the calibrated DynoJet on my car. So far, no real change in feel for my car.

will boostjunkie allow any teaser pics? please!

Sure! This is the first prototype on Wavewagon car. The tips in the pic are straight cut while the production version will be slant cut. The mufflers have been moved up and the tips properly centered for production, but this will give you some idea:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Pisadong/rearLarge.jpg

I have had the Megan Racing protoype CBE on my wagon for about 3 months now and I can say I am very happy with the quality and fitment. I also want to say Boostjunkie is an awesome vendor to work with, I have also purchased KW V2's from him.

In terms of performance and sound I think this exhaust offers the most options for wagon owners I have seen (and sedan owners for that matter). Without the silencers this exhaust sounds mean, especially at WOT. The drone at highway speeds was too much for me though (but may not be for some).

I am really happy with the 2" silencer. There is still is some exhaust rumble (which I wanted), but the highway drone is much less (about equal to tire noise or less). Most importantly there is not performance loss with the 2" silencer. The 1.5" silencer is really quite, I would say essentially like stock, with very little power loss.

So there you have it, a great product that offers up some options and finally more choices for wagon owners. Thanks to Boostjunkie and Megan Racing for that!

Thanks for checking in Todd and glad we got the catback tweaked to best suit your needs.

Nice. Tips look long. They going to stick out too far on the sedan? :(

The stick out about .5-.75" past the bumper on the sedan. Not nearly as understated as the twin tip mufflers, but IMHO they look great on the sedan too since the angle cut follows the bumper line nicely.

^ that sounds ok to me.

when is production done? and will we have our choice of silencer or no silencer? THANKS!

We are about ready to send it in to production, just need to make sure fitment is perfect first. The catback will ship with 2" silencers which you can chose to run or leave out.

you know, what would really help is a (dyno?) comparo between the quad tip and these.

i'm on the fence. 5 hp would sway me. Both look good. Silencer is good but so is the understated quad tip look.

first i need to find a buyer for my prodrive cans.

car for sale. PM me!

Archived