LegacyGT.com

Ever wonder how much horsepower those muffler silencers cost you?

Boostjunkie

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want this to get to market as soon as possible as well, but MR and I are making a concerted effort to only release products that are fully developed and that fit right the first time. I'm frankly amazed at the deficiencies in fitment that many seem to be tolerating with one of the lower priced systems currently on the market. My goal with all of MR's LGT products has been to delivery top quality at highly competitive prices. If it means taking our time to get it right, we think it's worth it.

Easy for you to say! :lol:

Ha...true it is easy for me to say.

It is a nice set-up. I say it's worh the wait especially if one wants an exhaust with the option to tone down the noise without compromising power loss.

Without silencers it was similar the dual tip (however, I must admit I only heard Boostjunkie's car once). He was in the middle of an engine rebuild when we were evaluating the silencers so his car was unavailable to do a side by side sound comparison. With the 2" silencers you get a toned down boxer rumble. The 1.5" silencer is very close to stock (very quiet).

PM Paul, he might have some sound clips.

Poked around for info on the new Magnaflow, SPT and XO2, still think this is going to be the best bet for my wagon.

I have a sedan and i feel about the same. I had the prodrive cans but felt weird knowing that theres some power that I have to tap into still.

Also when i put in my prodrives I saw how thin the catback to muffler piping was. SMALL!

car for sale. PM me!

A stupid question

Does it fit my 05 2.5i wagon???

If it does, I will be in.

getting a turbo exhaust for a non turbo probably will do funky things to your power. IIRC you might lose power.

car for sale. PM me!

I want this to get to market as soon as possible as well, but MR and I are making a concerted effort to only release products that are fully developed and that fit right the first time. I'm frankly amazed at the deficiencies in fitment that many seem to be tolerating with one of the lower priced systems currently on the market. My goal with all of MR's LGT products has been to delivery top quality at highly competitive prices. If it means taking our time to get it right, we think it's worth it.

Agreed. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
what kind of bump?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Rcoxx/chickenbump.jpg

?????????

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

what kind of bump?

or this?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Rcoxx/coke.jpg

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Ah I just realized why silencers affect WRXs and STIs so much more than they affect us. Dual Mufflers! Just doing some simple math shows that the overall cross sectional area of a 3" pipe is just over 7in^2. Sticking a silencer/reducer down to 2" decreases the sectional area of a single muffler outlet by more than half to just over 3in^2 (well pi to be exact).

Since we have two paths for the gas to flow, this makes the differences in area from 3" piping to two 2" silencers to less than 1in^2, and by the time the gas gets that far down the exhaust stream, it is much cooler and slower, so the reduction in flow is has little effect. Boostjunkie, I am a believer now :)

Not that I'm in the habit of quoting myself but I did say exactly that well over a month ago in response to you ;):lol:

If the Espelir on your GF's car has a small ID then it's no surprise and backed up by my dyno results for the 1.5" core silencers. The 2" silencer is the one that doesn't lose much power.

The other thing to remember is that the LGT has 2 mufflers, so the silencers don't hurt as much. If you do the math a 2 2" tube have as little more area than a 2.75" diameter single tube, so it really isn't a wonder that the 2" silencers aren't much of a restriction even on an upgraded turbo. 2 1.5" tubes have a bit less area than a single 2.25" tube, so obviously they will hurt flow and that showed up on the dyno.

Ah I just realized why silencers affect WRXs and STIs so much more than they affect us. Dual Mufflers! Just doing some simple math shows that the overall cross sectional area of a 3" pipe is just over 7in^2. Sticking a silencer/reducer down to 2" decreases the sectional area of a single muffler outlet by more than half to just over 3in^2 (well pi to be exact).

Since we have two paths for the gas to flow, this makes the differences in area from 3" piping to two 2" silencers to less than 1in^2, and by the time the gas gets that far down the exhaust stream, it is much cooler and slower, so the reduction in flow is has little effect. Boostjunkie, I am a believer now :)

everyone likes to wind down the night with a little bit of math :)

car for sale. PM me!

Archived