LegacyGT.com

pay it off? or get somethin else?

This is really more of a shortterm projection than an immediate desicion for me.

but.. its been about 2 years now and I still enjoy the car, its coming up on about 30k miles now, but this is usually about the time I start wanting something else (2 years)

so why do I want something else? well, the car as an LGT limited has gadgets that I like, dual zone climate control, heated seats, power seats, moonroof, but as a certified nerd, I am a gadget freak. My attempts to add navi in the past (through my carputer project) worked but wound up costing me more than I wanted and it screamed "AFTERMARKET" every time I got in, which has never sat well with me.

so at the current projection I'm looking at 2-2.5 years till its paid off, maybe sooner if things work out the way I plan to at work, but only by .5-1 yrs.

I dont like "suprises" in a car and as the mileage gets up here the warranty becomes less and less..

so, i know everyone here is a big subaru fan, and I still am, but.. what do you think in this situation? look at something else or hang onto this one?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I got my 05 in early 05 and have had it for 2 years. I'm at 35,800 and have milked the warranty for every screw, squeak, rattle and adjustment possible. In the last couple months I have put a new UP/DP, SPT CBE, AP, Custom Tune and tires on mine. The car feels better than new. It has a whole new personality. I love it more every time I drive it.

This is car number 38 for me so I know the 2 year itch(I go through about 3 cars every two years). This car is one of two I've owned that I'm keeping forever. Mine has basically been taken out of daily driver status and is moving into long term project status while it's still in basically mint condition. And after everyone gets done wrecking and blowing up the rest of this generation; I will have one sweet rare ride.

It may not ever be worth a fortune; but you will have to pry the steering wheel from my cold dead hands.

Let's kick this pig!

I LOVE my car, but when I pay it off in a few years, I may get the itch as I did with my last car, though my last car was an '02 Mitsu Lancer (non-Evo), so the LGT is a huge step up!

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

I expect to keep mine for at least 150k miles. Car payments suck. I'd forgotten how annoying it is to have money leaking out of my bank account like this, I'm going to plug that leak for ten years at least. :)

thanks for the help yall, I knew most people would favor keeping the car as I do still really like the car. There have been vehicles in the past that I've HATED by now so thats a good sign.

If I keep it I would need to have to do some sort of performance mods as it does feel kind of slow.. and therein lies one of the difficulties should I decide to get something else in that everything thats faster is in the 50k range (and I dont even know if that new 2 door BMW they released this year is as fast or faster but it could be as high as 60k with options)

But, as a car gets older it becomes valued less and less that you can use as a trade-in, and eventually begins to have fundamental function problems, I imagine servicing an AWD car can be quite expensive, and I've never been one to do my own service work to my daily driver, all my other cars.. but not my daily driver.

If I were to make the desicion to get a new car, I'd probablly look at the 08 LGT, and look at the usuals.. G35, BMW, acura TL-S.. I dont know any word from any of the domestics for the status on their new "cool" cars like the challenger or camaro.. I think they're probablly a few years off still.. for some reason

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

do the math. Lets say your car payment is $400 bucks right now.

You pay it off in July. (IE last payment)

You then shove that $400 bucks a month into a high yield account for 5 years at lets say the going rate of 4.5% APR interest.

That's $26,895.22 in your pocket.

For me personally, it doesn't get much better than this car. Sure it's a "Subaru" as people brush it off as it not being a "luxury" car. Honestly though, who cares? I've owned 4 cars now:

1979 Nova

1991 Audi 100

2005 2.5RS

2005 LegacyGT

Would a G35 coupe be cool? Sure. Would the 335i or 335xi be awesome? You bet. However, as with everything, what I learned buying "new" is it's not worth it. Save your monthly payment for another year or two or 5.... get a CPO car of your choice that is 1-2 yrs old and pay cash for it.

Being 26 and having learned some tough financial things this year, I know that NOT having a car payment is a true blessing. More savings... More Mod money, more vacation money and ultimately you can pay down other debts if need be.

Keep the car, run it till it blows up or you can pay cash for your next car.

Just my 2 cents.

What the above poster said is pretty much spot on. Try getting to a point with no car payments and experience that for 12 months or so. Even if you do nothing more than stick it in a 5.05% account @ HSBC Direct you'll start to get hooked on seeing interest working in your favor. It will make you think twice about acquiring debt for frivolous spending.

Completely side note, but I personally would be embarrassed to drive a car that portrayed an image that my finances could not back up. To me, a 20 something in an E46 M3 that lives in an apartment, has to budget funds and/or get into credit card debt for entertainment purchases, etc. is just plain silly. While my random opinion means nothing, a lot of people over extending themselves like that need to realize that people above them where they work often times form the same opinion. I've heard on far more than one occasion partners at law firms get pissed at the cars they see associates rolling in.

sold, your words of wisdom have convinced me.. I'll hold onto it and try to get it paid off.. that would be like a $400 a month raise (you were on the PENNY to what I pay a month.. thats not my actual payment, but its what I pay)

as far as putting it in an investment account.. maybe crucial racing has a good seat-of-the-pants yeild in their downpipe.. I would like to go stage 2 (cobb stage 2.. everyone else's 1.5) asnd I dont know that I can wait that long lol

no apartment here.. just bought a house :) and REALLY HAPPY about that.. I'm still sleeping at the apartment till this saturday and I was kept up last night by my downstairs neighbor having loud screaming sex.. I'm not makin this up..

Also, interest rates are sky rocketing. My 72 month loan at 5.99% is killer compared to what you can get now.

But I keep fighting the urge to trade it in :( Mod money is wasted money, and if you aren't satisfied with a car why keep paying for it? I say get something you want that you will still want in a few years. If thats the LGT keep it, if it is not, find something new. Some SERIOUSLY good G35 coupe/sedan leases right now.

Not trying to steer you away. I am probably just going to keep my car and mod it, but I like the idea of getting a little more power, a little better handling, even if I give up some creature comforts. Maybe the 2008 STI is my bag of tea :)

show me another car of this caliber and price

The caliber is easy to find, now on the price cateegory heheeheh nope!!!

Ever wondered about an EVO? Bimmer 335i? G35 or the new G37? Among others?

I am not replacing my anytime soon... 05 LGT 5MT Wagon with 16k6 miles onlyu!!! hehehehe

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

i don't think i would part with mine either, barring something drastic happening to the vehicle. it's been a year for me, it'll be paid off soon and i'm still enjoying it, so i'd have to concur with the others......

I've got an 05' Legacy GTL with about 33,000 miles on it. Got the new car bug a month or so ago when my wife was getting a new Civic. Test drove a new S2000, and loved it, but with the depreciation of my GT, the payments were going to jump $150 a month, and I couldn't justify it with something so impractical.

So I'm starting to mod my Legacy to compensate, but now my car is bigger than hers (she traded in her 2 year old CRV), and now she's wanting to take mine on trips. Any mod that requires the back seat to be removed? :)

I recently paid my 05 ltd off after just over a year of owning it. With that said, I do plan on driving it for the next few (3-4) years. It just turned 36k miles [ read: warranty exprired :-) ]

sold, your words of wisdom have convinced me.. I'll hold onto it and try to get it paid off.. that would be like a $400 a month raise (you were on the PENNY to what I pay a month.. thats not my actual payment, but its what I pay)

as far as putting it in an investment account.. maybe crucial racing has a good seat-of-the-pants yeild in their downpipe.. I would like to go stage 2 (cobb stage 2.. everyone else's 1.5) asnd I dont know that I can wait that long lol

no apartment here.. just bought a house :) and REALLY HAPPY about that.. I'm still sleeping at the apartment till this saturday and I was kept up last night by my downstairs neighbor having loud screaming sex.. I'm not makin this up..

No problem. My monthly is $405 and my car wasn't due to be paid off till 2010. I however getting some strong advice from my dad (imagine that... they are good for something. :lol: ) he told me to budget money to pay the Legacy off faster. Now I'm on track to pay it off by the end of 2008 since I just put a chunk of 8 months of saving $300 bucks in a high interest yield account towards the principal of the car.

Not having a car payment is very freeing. It's amazing, my dad always manages to have his cars paid off in 2 years if not faster and then that frees up money to do other things.

You're making the right move my friend and I hope you enjoy the car for a long time to come. :)

Aaron

thanks, yea I imagine I will, its still difficult to say for me thot aht I will be car payment free.. I need a truck pretty badly now that I bought a house.. and daily driving a truck again is out of the question.. its amazing the crap you need for a house that nobody tells you! lawnmower, a TON of tools, hosepipes, bug killer weed killer etc. etc. etc. etc. anyone wanna donate some money? ;)

We just bought a townhouse and man, even though our home owners covers alot of it we still have a shiz load of stuff we need. And then when you look at your payment and see 90% of it going to interest, you just get pissed. I think buying a house is really a scam that all parents and banks are in on. "You must get a house !!!!" What a crock :)

thanks, yea I imagine I will, its still difficult to say for me thot aht I will be car payment free.. I need a truck pretty badly now that I bought a house.. and daily driving a truck again is out of the question.. its amazing the crap you need for a house that nobody tells you! lawnmower, a TON of tools, hosepipes, bug killer weed killer etc. etc. etc. etc. anyone wanna donate some money? ;)

Yeah I own a home too and I look forward to the refund each year. :lol:

Freaking trips to home depot are KILLER! :lol:

i also plan to keep mine until paid off and driven into the ground, or at least 150K on the clock. i would love the feeling of having a car w/o car payments. and after 2.5 years and almost 48,000 miles, i still love the car and it puts a smile on my face every time i drive it.

besides, i don't think there is another car out there that interests me.

Buy a S%$Tbox pickup for a few $K's - pay less if you feel lucky and, only use it as a HomeDepot beater.

Archived