LegacyGT.com

When is Subaru coming out with a car that gets good gas mileage?

To be honest 25-30 mpg would be fine for todays gas prices. The problem is I'm looking for a car that I won't mind putting $6 a gallon gas in which is not too far in the future. I've had my 92 since new so that gives you an idea on how long I can keep a Subaru.

I have a freind here in So Cal who bought a full size chevy Sierra 4x4 and did an off-road makeover complete with a Whipple supercharger. He's into it for $60K and it only get 6 mpg. Needless to say it harley ever gets driven and sits in the garage. Boy those car payments gotta hurt for owning a trophy truck.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it sad that this company reacts so slow to the times.

they thrown away a good opportunity with their gas/hybrid

it was projected to be 0-60 6 sec and 42 mpg max.

i'm going on a UNCLEMAT rampage

Yep, now you can get the Altima hybrid. 197 hp, 42 mpg city, 36 hwy, 0 - 60 in 6.4 seconds. Might be my next car. Oh yeah, a 15 year warranty too.

I'd consider a Hummer H2, but they are huge targets of vandalism from so-called "eco-warriors"

I'm looks between three thirsty trucks and a Mini Cooper S. Go figure. Flavor of the week I guess.

Umm if you're that wealthy that you can afford to drive an 8 mpg H2 and still feed your family good for you I guess. I would prolly respect you alot more if you got a vehicle with double the fuel economy instead and passed the savings on to a charity or something. But thats just me.

Yep, now you can get the Altima hybrid. 197 hp, 42 mpg city, 36 hwy, 0 - 60 in 6.4 seconds. Might be my next car. Oh yeah, a 15 year warranty too.

it's a licensed Toyota hybrid system.

i think the Camry hybrid might be a little better unless you want a big ass rear seat

I hate to agree with slegacy :p, but i think the Hummers are totally pointless vehicles.

At least with a pickup truck you could make the argument that it could be used for hauling since it was built for that.

but the H2? :rolleyes:

That and the H2 is basically a glorafied Tahoe. Nothing fancy. Now if it was a H1, then we might have to talk differantly.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

it's a licensed Toyota hybrid system.

i think the Camry hybrid might be a little better unless you want a big ass rear seat

The Camry gets 38 hwy, but only 40 city since its a heavier car. And it has like 10 less hp. Still not a bad car. I would consider one of those too, but I think the Altima would be sportier.

I don't get you folks. Most of you bought a turbocharged performance car, and are now complaining about fuel efficiency. Subaru sells none turbo models, such as the 2.5i. Try that.

I'm not complaining, I knew what I was getting when I bought the Legacy...I just think that for Subaru to remain competitive in the marketplace they need to have more fuel-efficient offerings. If they don't and sales falter the Legacy I like may no longer exist...

When is Subaru coming out with a car that gets good gas milage?

Who cares! I bought my Legacy new for the power and fun and I'd do it again if the HP was upped by 50HP and the milage was dropped by 5MPG. My second car is a Slightly modified 92 Jeep Cherokee that gets 9-12MPG no matter what. I bought a YARIS as a third car for gas milage it gets (35/40MPG) and cost less than half as much as my legacyand drives like it too.

Subaru's cars do exactly as advertised if you know how to drive them. I don't think they are out to please the masses on fuel milage. They are out to please the segment of the population that wants great all around performance and o.k. gas milage.I love any car that I can drive hard and get 20+MPG; what's not to like?

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE MILAGE BUY A DIFFERENT BRAND AND QUIT COMPLAINING!

The only owners that complain are the one who can't read window stickers. And if you believe the sticker of any car your a idiot to begin with. For most people who buy Subaru vehicles; the MPG rating is about the last thing we're worried about or we would buy something else!

Let's kick this pig!

I would prolly respect you alot more if you got a vehicle with double the fuel economy instead and passed the savings on to a charity or something. But thats just me.

Screw charity!:lol::lol:

The Camry gets 38 hwy, but only 40 city since its a heavier car. And it has like 10 less hp. Still not a bad car. I would consider one of those too, but I think the Altima would be sportier.

i'm into smaller cars.

i wouldn't consider a altima "sporty"

a co-worker has a altima and the rear seat has as much legroom as my bosses maybach 52

My friend gets 3-4 MPG better fuel economy in his Mazdaspeed6 than I do in my Outback. This arguement about buying a turbo and complaining about fuel economy is old... You can get better economy with performance. It's called direct injection. The midrange and high-end torque on that thing is unbelievable.

Samir's comment on the SIA plant being a zero landfill plant is nice, but what about suppliers? Surely they aren't recycling every bit of waste too... and OK.. Hybrid plants are dirty with all that crap they spew into the environmnt making the batteries, but the cars they make are all over the world. You have one small area that is toxic, but the cars are much cleaner than Subarus.

batteries get recycled like almost all car parts

You have one small area that is toxic, but the cars are much cleaner than Subarus.

Yeah, I would rather have one area that is polluted if it meant cleaner air. Chances are you would never be exposed to that one area versus the decreased number of particulates that you would inhale due to hybrids being spread throughout the globe.

Hell, put the damn plant in the desert where it doesnt matter.

Problem isn't the recycling, it's the huge environmental impact that nickle mining and processing causes in energy used, toxicity, and pollution.

However, car companies are researching switching to lithium batteries which are much greener and perform better.

Yeah, I would rather have one area that is polluted if it meant cleaner air. Chances are you would never be exposed to that one area versus the decreased number of particulates that you would inhale due to hybrids being spread throughout the globe.

Hell, put the damn plant in the desert where it doesnt matter.

Great idea, unless you happen to live next to one. Even in the middle of the desert someone has to work there.

It's the "robbing peter to pay paul" way of doing things that has to stop. I would rather we find a better way of generating the energy we need and use less of it than push off the toxic waste from my car onto someone else. It is possible to have both clean air and not pollute someones backyard to do it.

>IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE MILAGE BUY A DIFFERENT BRAND AND QUIT COMPLAINING!<

Just another knee-jerk know-nothing comment. There's nothing wrong with really liking our cars and also wishing Subaru would give them better gas mileage. Which IMHO they could do if they put more effort into it.

Wish in one hand...

They are what they are. They make non-turbo cars that get above average gas milage, but when you buy a "GT" version of a car; you usually sacrifice mileage for added performance. Something has to give. I understand that you wish they got better gas milage, but the reality is that they don't and probably won't any time soon and the vast majority of Subaru turbo owners know that and alright with it.

If you want better gas mileage; start changing out parts and make your Subaru more effecient. I have gained about 6MPG by making minor changes to the intake and exhuast of my vehicle. None of which have damaged the vehicle or voided the warranty. Sure Subaru could have made these changes at the factory, but it would add another $1000 to the price of the vehicle. There are these things called a bottom line and cost effective production.

If you understand the physics of moving a vehicle, transmissions, differentials and energy lost in transference you would see that these vehicles cannot be compared to any front or rear wheel drive vehicle when it comes to mileage. It simply costs more in terms of mileage power to drive 4 wheels with AWD than it does to drive 2. With this being the case why don't we start comparing our cars to ANY other AWD vehicle including SUVS and Trucks of the same weight and cost class and see what we come up with. And don't forget to check their 0-60 times.

Let's kick this pig!

It would make more sense in the Impreza line, but the aluminum chasis would save some weight/gas. When ford did it with the taurus, they said 2yrs to get the up front cost back in fuel savings. That was when gas was half the cost it is now. I'm not sure what other draw backs you get, but weight savings would be nice for the performace side too.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

I have gained about 6MPG by making minor changes to the intake and exhuast of my vehicle. None of which have damaged the vehicle or voided the warranty. Sure Subaru could have made these changes at the factory, but it would add another $1000 to the price of the vehicle.

6 MPG? :confused:

Why is everyone crying/up-in-arms about the environmental impact of nickel mining with these batteries???????? Is everyone that oblivious to iron ore strip-mining particularly in the Northern part of this country and Canada???? Uh, HELLO!!! Like as in the car you, me, and everyone else on this planet drive - and just about every other transportation system, large building, and other devices???

Perspective....

:cool:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

6 MPG? :confused:

Yup. I started out getting about 19.5 in town and 21.3 on the highway and now with UP/DP CAI and a tune; I average ~24.5 in town and ~27.1 on the intersate at 75MPH and over 30 mpg on the backroads at 55-60MPH. Is it really that confusing?

Let's kick this pig!

Archived