LegacyGT.com

Weight reduction question

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how much the electric seat weighs versus a nice racing seat. The braille O2 seats are supposed to weigh 16 lbs?

Based on what has been posted so far, you could probably eliminate 300 to 400 pounds from a stock legacy gt and have a mure fuel efficient, nimble, quicker still refined street ride.

Starting with an 05 unlimited helps at 3300 pounds. Going from the prior post:

I'd say 2950-3000 pounds is reachable with bolt-ons if you don't mind the car loud and not emissions legal, along hoping you don't get a flat. All figures pulled from my butt:

-130 pounds exhaust system

Replace cast iron exhaust manifold joints, exhaust piping, mufflers, heat shields, cats with coated ss or titanium piping. If replacing catback with straight pipe saved 45 pounds, I gotta think three cats, heat shields, and the cast iron chunks in the manifold are worth another 85.

-44 pounds

Go for lightweight 17" wheels and tires

-30 pounds brakes

Go for lighter brakes (didn't somebody mention 25-33 pounds worth of savings from the fronts alone?) Be conservative and go for all four.

-30 pounds

lighweight battery and tiedown

-45 pounds

spare tire and jack

-24 pounds

alum front arms

-20 pounds

coilovers

thats like 200+ lbs already not too shabby

Just replace your turbo with a Ebay chip. Just tape your MAF with a sponge zip tied to it to your Throttle body. That outta save a TON!!!

On a serious note - I've always wondered on the unsprung vs sprung.

Riddle me this:

-20 lbs "UNSPRUNG" is equal to taking out how much "SPRUNG"??

If it's a huge difference, I could think about new wheels/tires....

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

nevermind....I'll save some money, and go on a diet instead...

Unsprung vs. sprung weight have no difference in their effect on acceleration or top speed. There is no “1-10” rule (or any other ratio) where 1 lb. removed from unsprung weight “has the same same effect as” a higher amount of sprung weight. Any benefit from weight reduction towards increased MPH or reduced ET will be exactly the same as if the weight were removed from the chassis. Weight removed from an unsprung component, such as a rear wheel or axle housing, may affect traction if the wheel is not under control during launch.

Lighter wheels & tires do have a very small additional benefit due to the lower amount of power required to rotate them (true of all rotating components), but this is not due to their classification as unsprung weight.

The unsprung vs. sprung weight percentage greatly affects wheel control, but its importance is almost entirely limited to un-even surfaces, or conditions where the attitude of the vehicle changes (such as through G forces). This is most important in off-road and pavement road racing, somewhat less important in dirt track, and has almost no value in drag racing. As the importance of suspension travel for proper wheel control diminishes, the value of reducing the unsprung proportion of the total car weight is lessened, and becomes zero if the suspension travel is zero.

Cars requiring precise control of wheel movement, where a low percentage of unsprung weight is an advantage, will have faster lap times and higher top speeds, not because unsprung weight reduction improves acceleration or top speed, but because traction is improved.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Nice! I'm liking where everyones heads are at now! It's amazing how the little things add up. Now I pose another question to you (hypathetical again, of course)

What would the weight difference between a Legacy GT AWD vs. a Legacy GT with rear wheel drive?

Nice! I'm liking where everyones heads are at now! It's amazing how the little things add up. Now I pose another question to you (hypathetical again, of course)

What would the weight difference between a Legacy GT AWD vs. a Legacy GT with rear wheel drive?

if you are only welding the center diff to achieve that single drive, you dont lose any weight.

Keefe

Help me out here.

Back in 05 all the specs(brochure/reviews) said that the 05 LGT MT weighed in at about 3300lbs. The other day I looked at the drivers door sticker on mine and it says GVWR: 4435lbs. I about pooped my self. I've been doing calculations on the 3300lb weight for a couple years now. A buddy had his 98 blazer here and his sticker said GVWR:4525lbs. WTF

How is the sticker weight number arrived at? Is this an error or is it the combined front and read axle weights or what?

Let's kick this pig!

Help me out here.

Back in 05 all the specs(brochure/reviews) said that the 05 LGT MT weighed in at about 3300lbs. The other day I looked at the drivers door sticker on mine and it says GVWR: 4435lbs. I about pooped my self. I've been doing calculations on the 3300lb weight for a couple years now. A buddy had his 98 blazer here and his sticker said GVWR:4525lbs. WTF

How is the sticker weight number arrived at? Is this an error or is it the combined front and read axle weights or what?

Read this.

Thanks, my bad. The fog and my ignorance have been lifted. This is the first time I 've looked at a door jam weight sticker in about 10-15 years and I wasn't sure about the GVWR=max load rating.

Is the actual vehicle weight listed anywhere on the car?

Let's kick this pig!

Just replace your turbo with a Ebay chip. Just tape your MAF with a sponge zip tied to it to your Throttle body. That outta save a TON!!!

On a serious note - I've always wondered on the unsprung vs sprung.

Riddle me this:

-20 lbs "UNSPRUNG" is equal to taking out how much "SPRUNG"??

If it's a huge difference, I could think about new wheels/tires....

most of this sounds stupid. but on the wheels... when i had my lightweight oz superleggra wheels on the car did feal faster. the fact that the car did not have to spin up that muh more weight to accelerate and decelerate made a noticable difference

I can actually attest to this as well. Some of my friends are into Ford Focus cars and two of which are Svts. I drove one which had stock wheels and the other which had lightweights on it. The one with the lighter wheels REALLY fealt like it had more torque off the line. I had always just thought it was my imagination. :D

I can actually attest to this as well. Some of my friends are into Ford Focus cars and two of which are Svts. I drove one which had stock wheels and the other which had lightweights on it. The one with the lighter wheels REALLY fealt like it had more torque off the line. I had always just thought it was my imagination. :D

i had a focus!

I wonder how much weight savings a 16 inch lightweight wheel would give over the factory stock wheel tire setup?

As far as feeling faster. I recall an article many years past about general motors engineers describing there front wheel drive performance cars as "feeling" faster with the smaller wheel/tire setup.

I also remember recently reading a autocross magazine link perhaps posted in a thread on legacygt forums where 15 16 17 and 18 inch wheels performance were compared. I suspect most people could get a better ride and simarl lateral grip with much less weight if instad we went -1 tire/rim concept.

There has to be a sweet spot for weight reduction and lateral grip.

Thanks, my bad. The fog and my ignorance have been lifted. This is the first time I 've looked at a door jam weight sticker in about 10-15 years and I wasn't sure about the GVWR=max load rating.

Is the actual vehicle weight listed anywhere on the car?

I cornered balanced my car (05 Legacy GT Limited) a few months back with me in the car at 160 lbs it came out to just under 3425.. so the car itself with the mods I have and a 1/2 tank of gas came out to 3265. A normal GT would probably be around anywhere from 40 to 70 lbs lighter (power heated seats and moonroof would be the major difference).

Keefe

I wonder how much weight savings a 16 inch lightweight wheel would give over the factory stock wheel tire setup?

As far as feeling faster. I recall an article many years past about general motors engineers describing there front wheel drive performance cars as "feeling" faster with the smaller wheel/tire setup.

I also remember recently reading a autocross magazine link perhaps posted in a thread on legacygt forums where 15 16 17 and 18 inch wheels performance were compared. I suspect most people could get a better ride and simarl lateral grip with much less weight if instad we went -1 tire/rim concept.

There has to be a sweet spot for weight reduction and lateral grip.

I posted the link of the article of the autox setups for smaller tire diameters and taking weight off the rims and tires.

In all honesty, go with a wider rim, a lighter rim, and a tire size that can give you the right balance between top speed and acceleration.. a smaller tire diameter will give you quicker acceleration while a taller tire gives you higher top speed per gear. You have to make a decision at that point. Most tire weights are roughly the same, the difference is that you have to decide the grip you get from the tire is worth to sacrifice on the weight difference from your tires alone.. normally the tire compound (grip) is always the better priority over a lighter tire.

Keefe

I cornered balanced my car (05 Legacy GT Limited) a few months back with me in the car at 160 lbs it came out to just under 3425.. so the car itself with the mods I have and a 1/2 tank of gas came out to 3265. A normal GT would probably be around anywhere from 40 to 70 lbs lighter (power heated seats and moonroof would be the major difference).

Cool. Thanks. So the 3300LB figure was pretty close with a full tank of gas. It would be nice to get it down to 3000 with 300awhp. A nice even 10lbs/HP.

Let's kick this pig!

good luck trying to get the car down to 3000.. even the Grand AM GTs are at 3100 but that's with a cage and gutted interior. You would have to do some pretty creative stuff to drop that kind of weight out of the car (because you have to compensate for your own weight as well). Just taking out your worth of weight out of the car is a bit of a challenge to start off with. The heavier you are, the harder it gets to find weight to pull out.
Keefe

Archived