LegacyGT.com

To Keep or To Sell?

I have a 2005 Legacy GT (non-limited) and I've had a lot of fun with it. However, I'm thinking about getting rid of it for something much slower.

I haven't modified it at all--I live in an area where the only driving I get to do is on straight roads and 90 degree turns. No curves, no roads to open her up, just stop and go all the time. I get on the highway decently often, but once again, very straight with low traffic. Boring.

My biggest complaint is gas mileage. Before any of you jump on me and tell me to go buy a Yaris or something, keep reading.

I know this car is fast. I know I shouldn't come close to getting 30 mpg. I'm fine with that, and I'm also fine with paying for premium fuel.

I consistently average 14-15mpg city and 21mpg highway. We've tried it every possible way:

-Driving unreasonably slow

-Driving at normal speeds

-Driving fast

-Using Shell V-Power only for 6 months

-No Cruise Control

-Tires properly inflated

-Tires over inflated

-Switched to Mobile 1

(That yielded an increase of about 1mpg from 13 to 14)

-I never use Sport Mode

-I don't idle it

-My drive is short, but not 5 minutes. I drive 15-20 minutes to work every day. It is suburban driving so I get up to 45 for a minute or two before having to brake.

-My numbers are calculated, not based on the trip computer.

-On cross country road trips at 70mph, I get 360 miles on 16 gallons. That isn't even 23 mpg.

-I have 20,000 miles of receipts to back this up.

-No change from winter fuel to summer fuel

-10% Ethanol doesn't make a difference

Is my fuel efficiency so low because of the stop and go driving? Maybe. Subaru did a fuel consumption test with my car last winter. With 50% city driving and 50% highway, they got an average of 16.8 mpg.

This year, Subaru ran another fuel consumption test. 100 miles of all highway and they got 19 mpg. That's 19 miles per gallon at 55 miles per hour on the highway under a controlled dealership test.

I could almost live with the terrible mileage, but Subaru of America has offered no help whatsoever. Even if I do keep this car, I will never buy another Subaru. Subaru of America has ignored me, been stand offish, and insisted that this is due to the way I drive. (Despite the dealership tests)

SoA is having the dealership keep track of my fuel consumption for 3 tanks before they can decide if there is something wrong or not. For the past year their diagnostics have said everything is fine, although the dealer acknowledges that he doesn't know of many customers with fuel efficiency as poor as mine.

I've asked if I can borrow a 2005 or 2006 LGT 5EAT for a week to see if I can get better mileage. They have politely declined.

Do I sell this car and get an Accord or something s-l-o-w, or do I suck it up and deal with it? I feel like I am getting ripped off by staying with this car.

some may argue with me but im just gonna throw this out there- my gas mileage was pretty much as bad as yours but then i got a cold air intake and an accessport and of course a tune for it and now i ALWAYS get 19 mpg in ONLY city driving not to mention the car pulls like hell. just somethin to consider. good luck!

I don't know how long you are stopped in traffic but keep in mind that when you are, you are getting 0 mpg. That may somehow be factoring in there. Maybe try turning the car off if you are going to be stopped for a minute or longer?

I don't know how long you are stopped in traffic but keep in mind that when you are, you are getting 0 mpg. That may somehow be factoring in there. Maybe try turning the car off if you are going to be stopped for a minute or longer?

I'm never really stopped for that all that long. Could you imagine having to turn your car off and back on at every stop light just to get your gas mileage to within reasonable levels? :eek:

I like the idea of getting an AP, but it doesn't sound like there is a set relationship between getting an AP and getting better efficiency. I don't want to drop $700 on something that is going to burn even more cash when I can't even enjoy the car.

Maybe I can convince Subaru of America to buy one for me?;)

Whatever you decide to buy do not go on EPA mileage alone if you do. Make sure you can find a demo or used car to borrow for the day and run your cycles and take for an extended test drive. I know (unhappy) people who own Toyota Corolla's only getting 22MPG with a mostly city bias. It may just be your type of driving.

Instead of looking at city/highway what is your overall number?

Trade it in for a 2.5i, even though they are not much better.

It is the nature of the beast. If gas mileage is your main concern Get a Yaris! :lol::lol::lol:

I switched over to a 2.5i from a GT. The MPG averages around 20 MPG combined, but it burns regular, so it does not suck as much.

If all you do is commute in your car, then the LGT may be overkill.

X

---

some may argue with me but im just gonna throw this out there- my gas mileage was pretty much as bad as yours but then i got a cold air intake and an accessport and of course a tune for it and now i ALWAYS get 19 mpg in ONLY city driving not to mention the car pulls like hell. just somethin to consider. good luck!

Although I don't agree a CAI + StgI tune will yield better fuel efficiency, I will comment to another tuning reference. If you do decide to keep the car, I would get in touch with Dom Ascia (www.getadomtune.com). He has created ALOT of fuel efficiency maps that actually work quite well over on the Impreza board. He uses OpenECU, so you will just need a $89 cable and $30 fee for the tune. It may be something to consider.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

from my experience, stage 1 AP yields better fuel economy than stock, given the same amount of throttle. i've had 2 LGTs and it happened in both cases.

even better, stage 2 yields better mileage than stock or stage 2. i think the maps are better tuned and makes the engine work more efficiently.

ymmv, but i think most people with AP will agree.

^+1. Nobody is going to alleviate your unhappiness.

IMHO, 15mpg on premium does suck these days if you're not sitting on baby soft leather, massage/ac seats and in the sublime comfort of an expensive luxury car, preferably from Germany or Lexus :)

I have a 2005 Legacy GT (non-limited) and I've had a lot of fun with it. However...

My biggest complaint is gas mileage. Before any of you jump on me and tell me to go buy a Yaris or something...

Probably not a bad idea in this case.:rolleyes: Just sell it and get something to take you from point A to point B.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Gang, stop behaving like SOA :rolleyes:

The guy clearly showed his car gets little low gas mileage. I can relate since mine does, too. It's hard to blame driver when you cruise at fixed speed and avoid any acceleration and are mindful of throttle tip in, yet still get lousy mpg.

(assuming proper inflation, alignment and clean air filter)

See... he said 19 mpg @ 55 mph highway driving !!!!!!!

We haven't banned wagons, although I would have if I could have :lol:

His mileage is not out of line with what others have experienced. There is no magic, all of the things that should have been checked have been checked.

If you are serious, then datalog your entire trip to and from work and let's have a look at the AFR numbers.

I average 16-17 in city driving and about 25 on long trips. I've actually cracked 400miles on a tank before. Most of the time though only about 230-240 in the city.

When I drive to Pennsylvania and back I use 400 miles as the gold standard. I've never come closer than 360 miles. I'll be halfway through my tank and have 215 miles on it, and then things just go downhill.

Even 16-17mpg would be an improvement at this point. I get 240/tank in the city if I run it until I have 1 gallon left. That means 15 miles per gallon.

Champaign. I'm too good for Urbana.

Zing! :lol:

Seriously, there is nothing that can be done. If you really want to see what's going on, you need to datalog a long trip so that you can see what the AFR is and just how much fuel is being used. I think you will find that it is totally normal.

Archived